So is UT3 worth buying?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Buy UT3

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I LOL'd at the third option but voted the second!

At the very least UT3 needs better maps and to fix the vehakal gametypes before it'd be worth it, and those things aren't slated for inclusion in the next patch. I also think it needs weapon balance and movement adjustments (not towards UT2004; just better), but I'm sure many would argue that point, so I'm not going to say it. :p

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I'd say it's worth buying. It has some aspects which feel similar to UT, and some which feel similar to UT2k4, yet, it's sort of a unique feeling in its own right. You're gonna get a lot of mixed opinions on whether it's good or bad, but I think it's quite fun.

What I'd suggest you do is download the demo and try it out on your computer and see how you like it. (At minimum you'll need a video card support PS 2.0, such as an Geforce 6800 or Radeon 9800, in order to run the game.)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Pretend like everything you hated about UT2003 was not part of the gameplay but was part of the UI and you have UT3.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Sure is, especially if you loved UT99. It's not flawless, but it's good, and will get even better after a few more patches, as every UT has. The "Out of the box" experience never was the fully refined game - that came several patches later.

Zer0

Jan 19, 2008
Sure is, especially if you loved UT99. It's not flawless, but it's good, and will get even better after a few more patches, as every UT has. The "Out of the box" experience never was the fully refined game - that came several patches later.

What he said.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
well i played the demo for 15 minutes but gave up on it as the settings reset them selves to default each time it was restarted (which i had to do so it'd fit my screen and look nice)

i have a decent machine to play it on, just wanted opinions from people who own it :)
... and from people who paid $80 :(

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
No, not for $50-$60.
You don't even have it do you?

To the OP - download the demo and there's your gameplay. Check out the pics of the maps (and maybe our review ;) ), read a good balance of forum comments, and you'll have a pretty good idea if it is for you. Someone else said it, and I agree - even the worst UT game (and I'm not saying this is) is better than most of the rest of the stuff out there.

If you did nothing than play instant action matches on all the maps and then played a few games of each gametype online, you'd already have more game time than most singleplayer games.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Although I bought metal case edition... I voted no. :-(

Why? Because I went online today and maybe 2 servers were under 100ms with some players actually on it in any gametype. I enjoyed some game, yes, but overall situation in the community (and I believe it's caused by the loose launch of UT3) is now that I feel like I wasted my money. Is this game going to be any good? I also hate all these things like ping not visible with more players, sound going on and off in menus and the whole UI is shaky during load like I have some 286 while I bought uber-machine for UT3 especially... Maybe there is a chance for UT3 but I don't see it coming. I was on the positive and hoping side but today it somehow went all wrong for me. Another patch will make it better technically but I doubt I'll see more players in public servers so soon. Core game is not enough for UT... without proper support it's pulled down and there's no easy way up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.