News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament 3

View Poll Results: Rocket Launcher, imbalanced or not?
It's good the way it is 33 84.62%
Only 1 Rocket with the current damage. 1 2.56%
3 Rockets but with less damage. 3 7.69%
Just 1 Rocket with less damage. 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2008, 08:23 AM   #1
J3FF
teH SEXiest man alive!

Question Imbalanced Rocket Launcher, YES or NO?

Hey guys,

I've been playing UT3 since the day it was released here in Germany, no doubt it's getting better and better with all the custom mutators and maps but I also here more and more complaints from my team mates as well as from opponents after a match about the (maybe) imbalanced Rocket Launcher.

Just to remind you guys the RL takes up to 100 health points per Rocket.

In my eyes that's quite alright BUT the fact that you can load it up to 3 Rockets at once (3 * 100 = 300) makes it extremely imbalanced.

Bear in mind a Sniper bullet takes 70 damage, a headshot 140 & even a headshot powered up with the U-Damage only takes 280 health points off of the enemy.

So now I'd like to know what you guys think about it.

PS: Yes, I know the Bio-Rifle takes a lot of damage as well but it's got at least some kind of ballistics you have to deal with.
Games should be about having a good time, amusing yourself, and trash talking with your friends.
Kevin Bowen (GameSpy.com)
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 08:34 AM   #2
SlipStreams_65
User Titles are Useless.

IMHO its fine the way it is. The converse to the high damage is the fact that you can easily kill yourself with the splash damage. Its one thing to fire triple rockets that do 300 damage, its quite another to land them on a target. If you have the skill to do that, then I think you deserve the kill. Also, its extremely effective against the heavier vehicles (bender, nemesis) since the ammo is much more plentiful than avrils.

The only real frustration is that theres a fairly common bug that means rockets sometimes dont register damage to the target, and the player can survive a direct hit. Ive had avrils do the same with mantas, though this is obviously more a coding issue than a balance problem.

Last edited by SlipStreams_65; 2nd Feb 2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: my leet typing skills fail me yet again :(
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 08:38 AM   #3
Zarniwoop
is cool

Rocket launcher seems fine to me, probably the most balanced yet.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 08:48 AM   #4
UBerserker
old EPIC GAMES

They shouldn't touch it at all. Now, with the Stinger's primary fire, is another story...
[09:52:48] <Specineff> Area man gains z axis, becomes volume man, won't stop yelling
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 09:15 AM   #5
dunnie

random retarded damage
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Leo(T.C.K.)

Dude, did you play the original Unreal games? In the original UT there is rocketlauncher which can launch six rockets at once or grenades and it is even a bit faster than its counterpart from original Unreal in loading.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 10:05 AM   #7
J3FF
teH SEXiest man alive!

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo(T.C.K.) View Post
Dude, did you play the original Unreal games? In the original UT there is rocketlauncher which can launch six rockets at once or grenades and it is even a bit faster than its counterpart from original Unreal in loading.
Yes, I did.

And I can tell you one thing: Back in the days of the original UT no one ever really used the RL! And no one ever loaded up all the rockets!

Maybe you are a casual gamer who mainly plays against bots or so but on a competeive level nobody ever loaded up rockets back in UT!
Games should be about having a good time, amusing yourself, and trash talking with your friends.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 10:37 AM   #8
hyrulian
Rainbow Brite

I never thought the rocket launcher was unbalanced. Powerful? Yes. Unbalanced? No. There's plenty of ways to get rid of a rocket launcher-wielding enemy. for one.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 10:42 AM   #9
Leo(T.C.K.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3FF View Post
Yes, I did.

And I can tell you one thing: Back in the days of the original UT no one ever really used the RL! And no one ever loaded up all the rockets!

Maybe you are a casual gamer who mainly plays against bots or so but on a competeive level nobody ever loaded up rockets back in UT!
Well, usually online when you load up all rockets tehre is a little time to do so, so maybe that is why.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 11:12 AM   #10
[VaLkyR]Anubis
Quantum Velocity

Rocket Launcher of UT3 is awesome,great balanced like in UT and still my favourite gun.

deviantART~YouTube~Geforce
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 11:22 AM   #11
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

Are you sure you played Unreal/UT? People used the Rocket Launcher ALL THE TIME.

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 12:48 PM   #12
UBerserker
old EPIC GAMES

Quote:
Although I rarely saw someone charging the RL, in UT (and online) my visual was most of the time covered with rockets going from one side to another. Even to mine!
[09:52:48] <Specineff> Area man gains z axis, becomes volume man, won't stop yelling
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 12:50 PM   #13
IronMonkey
Moi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
People used the Rocket Launcher ALL THE TIME.
They still do. I love it - they're toast in the face of my dual enforcers.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 04:05 PM   #14
Jackal
Crapass

Quote:
Yes, I did.

Quote of the year anyone?

Or just let the failboat carry on to the ocean?
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 04:50 PM   #15
Kno One
in particular

Fixed

Quote:
Back in the days of the original UT Kno One ever really used the RL! And Kno One ever loaded up all the rockets!

Nothing quite like dumping a full load from the 8-ball into a room full of people.

Last edited by Kno One; 2nd Feb 2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: dam f@#$in' quote screwed up
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 04:50 PM   #16
Banoffee
Armoured

IMO

[serious]If you get killed by something like the Sniper, the reaction is usually "damn he's good". There wasn't really anything you could do to avoid it.

Get killed by a Rocket, and you blame the weapon. The enemy wasn't good, Rockets are too good right? No, it's a slow-ass projectile. You get hit by a Rocket and YOU made the mistake. YOU didn't move properly to avoid it. The died either because A: you play predictably or B: the opponent did a good job of reading you. Splash damage is needed to make it possible to kill with that weapon, and even then, the damage sucks.

And if you're the one getting tons of kills, you're a good player. That's all it is.[/serious]

Imbalanced? Depends on the level of play, it's the ultimate newb-killer. Fun to use too. I guess that's why it's popular.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 05:04 PM   #17
J3FF
teH SEXiest man alive!

Maybe I should have limited the poll to competetive TDM players only .... too many casual public DM noobs posting here
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 05:10 PM   #18
zynthetic
robot!

My only issue is the firing mode. 2k4 is better in this respect (hold fire to load and press alt for spiral) as it makes grenades pointless most of the time in such a fast paced game. Plus I miss killed players firing off any loading rockets.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 05:24 PM   #19
Scuzzbuster
It's Crunchy. It's Nice.

Exclamation

Quote:
Yes, I did.

I can't believe in any way shape of form that you played the original UT on any level for any reasonable amount of time and made this statement.

I don't believe any other BuFer here that has been playing UT since the start would either.

Kind of makes any arguments are comparison you're trying to make regarding UT3 vs UT completely moot.

Last edited by Scuzzbuster; 2nd Feb 2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 05:28 PM   #20
Renegade Retard
Defender of the newbie

Quote:
Maybe I should have limited the poll to competetive TDM players only .... too many casual public DM noobs posting here
I think you would find that there's more competitive UT players here than you realize. Some pretty damn good one's that I'd place some money on against just about anyone here.

Oh, and don't call people "noobs" here. It makes you look like a, well...

Anyways, consider that a warning. The thread is being closed due to uselessness and asshat antics.
Closed Thread

Tags
balance, rocket launcher, weapons