Gears of War Demo Soon?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UPDATE: Mark Rein dropped by to let us know this story was bunk as well as the "new" screenshots below.
First the demo baloney....

There is no chance a demo level of Gears is hitting the Xbox Live Marketplace this month, next month or the month after that. We love the Xbox Live Marketplace and Xbox Live Arcade and have lots of cool ideas how we can leverage them but not until the game is finished and we don't realistically know when that will be at this point in time. I can tell you however that the game is incredible and there will be lots of cool stuff in it that you didn't expect to see. Sorry for the tease.

Now, about those screenshots. Those are NOT new screen shots. In fact they're quite old and some aren't Gears at all. Here's what I wrote about them in a different thread on this forum...

These are very old images, mostly from our internal PR Kick-off meeting with Microsoft back in December 2004. They were never intended for release and they don't come anywhere close to representing what the game looks like today. In fact some of those images don't represent the game AT ALL! The grassy field images are from our GDC 2004 Unreal Engine 3 demo and NOT from Gears! That is TWO YEAR OLD engine demo content we showed to Microsoft PR people to give them an early flavor of what the tech could do. As you can probably guess we're pretty unhappy that these crappy images have surfaced. Unfortunately this isn't the first time our publisher has released content not intended for release and it feels like a punch in the gut every time it happens.
DEBUNKED: GameDreamZ is running a story on the possibility of a Gears of War demo coming to Xbox Live Marketplace soon.
With Fight Night having just appeared out of nowhere, and Street Fighter on the way, amazing downloads were on a lot of CES attendees minds. One particular game demo that set the net alite was a 'Gears of War' demo possibly hitting the Marketplace this month! Yeah, the timing is laughably imaginative, but the demo is real, and may be coming sooner than you think. Epic and Cliffy B's baby boy has been shown everywhere the XBOX 360 has. Over the past 8 months they've managed to refine and polish several levels of the game to near Gold shine. A contact of mine at Microsoft says gamers can look forward to one of those levels arriving in the download center sometime soon. What that means is anyone's guess.
If a Gears of War demo does surface that soon, it could mean that Gears of War, and possibly UT2007, is going to be close on it's heels. We might be seeing either or both of these games before the summer. See the rest of the article here.

Skrilax

May 13, 2005
Yeah that's good news for xbox 360 owners, is there any news on the PC demo release?

Mark Rein [Epic]

Dec 8, 2004
No chance on the demo any time soon

Here's what I posted earlier on Evilavatar.com

There is no chance a demo level of Gears is hitting the Xbox Live Marketplace this month, next month or the month after that. We love the Xbox Live Marketplace and Xbox Live Arcade and have lots of cool ideas how we can leverage them but not until the game is finished and we don't realistically know when that will be at this point in time. I can tell you however that the game is incredible and there will be lots of cool stuff in it that you didn't expect to see. Sorry for the tease

Now, about those screenshots. Those are NOT new screen shots. In fact they're quite old and some aren't Gears at all. Here's what I wrote about them in a different thread on this forum...

These are very old images, mostly from our internal PR Kick-off meeting with Microsoft back in December 2004. They were never intended for release and they don't come anywhere close to representing what the game looks like today. In fact some of those images don't represent the game AT ALL! The grassy field images are from our GDC 2004 Unreal Engine 3 demo and NOT from Gears! That is TWO YEAR OLD engine demo content we showed to Microsoft PR people to give them an early flavor of what the tech could do. As you can probably guess we're pretty unhappy that these crappy images have surfaced. Unfortunately this isn't the first time our publisher has released content not intended for release and it feels like a punch in the gut every time it happens.

ImaCarrot

Professional Level Designer
Aug 30, 2005
www.imacarrot.com
Thanks for clearing that up Mark, I thought some of those images looked pretty crappy, most noteably the one of the monster with all the arms (some of the arms were going through the geometry without any real connection to the rest of the mesh.)

Publishers sure are fun to deal with, the publisher of a game I was working on threw a huge fit over the subtitle of the game among other things.

Thanks again for commenting on this stuff, a Gears demo would have been sweet, but I would rather it be finished and polished later than unfinished and unrefined now.

Carrot

D

Duiveltje

he said crappy? Tbh they arent that crappy. But if that is crappy then *drops jaw* how beautifull is it:|

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Thanks for the clarification Mark. I've updated the news story.

K.N.I.F.E

Dressed in Pink
Jun 4, 2005
In Nathan's base
kevan.org
Mark Rein [Epic] said:

There is no chance a demo level of Gears is hitting the Xbox Live Marketplace this month, next month or the month after that. We love the Xbox Live Marketplace and Xbox Live Arcade and have lots of cool ideas how we can leverage them but not until the game is finished and we don't realistically know when that will be at this point in time. I can tell you however that the game is incredible and there will be lots of cool stuff in it that you didn't expect to see. Sorry for the tease

Wow I didn't even know you had an acount here. Your a freakin stealth ninja. I'm watching you stalker

k4gy7l.jpg

Actully, you might arrest me, so I will send this smiley to stalk you instead.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
How can we know it is Mark!? :flame:
I don't believe him! GEARS OF WAR IS OUT TOMORROW!

*waiting to see Mark in front of my house saying "It was me!"*

Last edited:

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
Mark Rein [Epic] said:

uhmm... yeah... if that was crappy then how the hell must it look like today?!
but yeah i can understand you guys are unhappy with this kinda stuff... :(

in other news - i was strangely excited when i read about a gears of war demo... but i still don't know why. i don't even have an xbox360!!! :(

Last edited:

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
The screenshot of the building in the field did remind me of some extremely old UE3 stuff from back before UT2007 or Gears was even announced. I actually found it pretty shocking that it would come out so soon, and I was worried that its was rushed cos there is no trailer for the game or nothing. I hope they take their time with Gears and UT2007, I wouldnt mind waiting till late this year, as long as its good.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Mark Rein [Epic] said:

GEARS OF WAR DEMO IN TWO WEEKS AM I RITE?

lol911

May 17, 2005
Mark Rein [Epic] said:

I find that funny coming from you Mark, especially since one of those screenshots are at Unrealtechnology.com (scroll down 1/3 of the page on http://unrealtechnology.com/flash/technology/ue30.shtml)!

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
Yes, lol911

Mark said that this is early UE3 stuff, not Gears of War... ...you pointed to an UE3 shot. Why would they need to upgrade their site as almost everyone has an UE3 license anyways...???

Your point is?