News Ľ UnrealEd Ľ Files Ľ Mods Ľ FragBU Ľ Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > UnrealEngine2 Runtime > Level Design, Skinning and Modelling

Old 8th Dec 2005, 06:09 AM   #1
Gapper

Using other Mod Models and Textures

Out of curiousity, I tried to import a Red Orchestra artillary gun into a map that I was playing with (learning with) in UT2K4.

When I imported the guns mesh into the meshbrowser, it had lost its dedicated texture which had been replaced with the default bubbles texture. Easily fixed - located the Red Orchestra texture package containing the correct texture and imported into the texture browser and then re-assigned it to the gun. No problems there.

Then I placed the completed mesh into the level. It showed up in the editor just fine.

However (the problem) when I tried to run the map, the UT2K4 game crashed reporting a C++ error.

Does anyone know what I was doing wrong? Do I have to create my own packages for the level and assign the textures and meshes to that?

cheers in advance
Gapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2005, 08:07 PM   #2
N░tAdmín

no idea why its crashing, however i have found a method to rip things from other packages.

1) firstly, find your Mesh, right click it and convert it to a static meshe(even though it already is), make the package as MyLevel and fill in the other blanks as you please.

2) secondly, search the texture "In Use" section of texture browser and find the texture the static mesh uses, right click and duplicate to the MyLevel package, fill in the other blanks as you please.

3) now delete the original mesh and add in the one from the MY LEVEL PACKAGE(!)

4)in the static mesh browser with the static mesh selected look at the bottom properties, there should be a spot where it tells you the meshe's skin texture in "ut2004.blahblah.packagename.whatever" or something very similar.

5) delete that and add in the texture you duplicated from the myLevel package.

6)build all, close Editor to purge mylevel and open again.

SHOULD work, hopefully this helps.
N░tAdmín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2005, 05:15 AM   #3
Gapper

thanks for the reply ... I will try your suggestion and update you on the results.

cheers
Gapper is offline   Reply With Quote