Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > Off Topic

Old 23rd Oct 2005, 03:37 PM   #1
NTKB
Banned

blah blah blah... Why are they still giving licenses to people this old?

http://www.tampabays10.com/weird/wei...?storyid=20176

"Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent." -Dionysius of Halicarnassus
NTKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2005, 05:21 PM   #2
(un)l33t_1

Gruesomely amusing... And sorry, I can't answer your question. Why do they give licenses to senile old folk?
(un)l33t_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2005, 06:21 PM   #3
Kyllian
if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

Quote:
Police say he will probably not face criminal charges, because he was unaware he was in an accident.
How the fsck can you be "unaware" you hit a fscking person?! >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azura View Post
Welcome to BuF, home of the bukkake angel O_o...
Kyllian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2005, 07:43 PM   #4
Arethusa
We will not walk in fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyllian
How the fsck can you be "unaware" you hit a fscking person?! >_<
And do they not have negligent homicide in Florida, or something?

"Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."

"Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughtta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keels. Makes her home."
Arethusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2005, 07:54 PM   #5
Kyllian
if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa
And do they not have negligent homicide in Florida, or something?
The man drove 3 miles before a toll booth operator realized he had a dead body in his windshield
3 miles

It's one thing to be negligent, it's another to be oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azura View Post
Welcome to BuF, home of the bukkake angel O_o...
Kyllian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2005, 10:44 PM   #6
cracwhore
I'm a video game review site...

When I'm ninety-three - I'm going to execute every person on my 'list-of-people-I-think-should've-been-aborted' list.

Once the cops catch me in the act - covered in the blood of my enemies - I'll just shrug my shoulders and say:

'Niggaz! I'm ninety-three!'

We'll all share a jolly gut-laugh - and that'll be the end of it.

"Hell, I got chased for half a mile back to my house once by a pack of coyotes that had picked up my scent."-Logan6

"Sigh I wish I could speak holland."-NTKB
cracwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2005, 02:37 AM   #7
Hadmar
Queen Bitch of the Universe

"Police found the victim's leg in the street at the scene of the accident."

He drove at warp 4.
Old 24th Oct 2005, 10:21 AM   #8
Nukeproof
n1

Same thing happened to my brother driving a motorcycle. His jacket, helmets boots had loads of reflectors - lights and winker where turned on and it was early evening - not really dark yet.

That old morron crashed into him from behind, shot the bike into an opposing traffic and kept driving for half a mile. He returned like 10 minutes later to the accident and wondered wether my brother fell off his motorcycle...(claimed he didn't recognize anything)

My brother was very lucky since he just fell to the pavement (opposite site than the bike went) and had no serios injuries.

The bike and the opposing car where completely junk - overall damage > $15.000.

But the point isn't not to give old graybeards a license (since they infact wouldn't get one if they were just getting started) but to take it away from those who fail some sort of checkup

Last edited by Nukeproof; 24th Oct 2005 at 10:26 AM.
Nukeproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2005, 10:25 AM   #9
(SDS)benmcl
Why not visit us here in the real world.

The reason they can still get there licenses is simple - votes. That age group is becoming the largest voting demographic in the country. If you were a politician would stand up and try to take there licenses. That age group is also very effective in moblizing so you would have a hell of a hard time in an election.

Saying that there needs to be some testing for renewal of licenses. I have heard of such an effort but have no idea where that stands and in what states.

The thing is though it should not only be that age group. Hell I have seen 90 year old drivers better than many 20 year olds.
(SDS)benmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2005, 11:42 AM   #10
Crowze
Bird Brain

As far as I know it is only that age group who don't realise they have been in an accident until 3 miles later. With the younger generation, the problem is attitude.

They are planning on implementing a 5-yearly 'check-up' instead of the current 50 years over here - while I think it is a good idea, there's no way they will do it because of the way so many people are dependant on their cars over here.

Infiltration | Sentry Studios
Crowze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2005, 12:07 PM   #11
O_DoGG
Le Boner

Maybe the guy DID fall from the sky...
O_DoGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2005, 12:12 PM   #12
Arethusa
We will not walk in fear.

I'd like to say the idea of testing for license renewal is good, but I don't want to be wrong.

Ideally, yes, it'd be nice. People would know how to drive. Problem is that the tests are already useless. More tests means more bureaucracy and more uselessness and more wasted money; the American DMV has already proven itself fantastically ill equipped to deal with reality, and I suspect the same is true elsewhere. I know plenty of absolutely horrible drivers who've gotten their licenses very easily. I, on the other hand, and am probably the best driver out of all the people I know (personally; I know a number of people over the internet who would, almost certainly, easily hand me my ass), and I would probably stand a fair chance of failing such a test.

"Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."

"Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughtta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keels. Makes her home."
Arethusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2005, 12:39 PM   #13
(SDS)benmcl

For me I know I am a bad driver and doubt even with practice I would get any better. That is why I do not have license. I will have to get one some time due to a varity of reason but am not looking forward to it.
Old 24th Oct 2005, 12:41 PM   #14
Nightmare
Only human

Mandatory check-ups are fine, but they're not worth anything unless the doctor can tell the authorities to suspend your driver's license. Pesky things like doctor-patient confidentiality and stuff tends to get in the way. If the doctor only writes out a statement for you there's nothing to stop you from going to the next doctor, until one gives you a positive report.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2005, 12:44 PM   #15
(SDS)benmcl

In Ontario a doctor can very easily pull your license for anythign medical related. The big one being blacking out and seziers (sp).