News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > News & Articles

Old 4th Oct 2005, 11:26 PM   #1
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

X05 Gears of War Footage

Over at IGN, the good folks have posted a number of new videos showing off some brand new gameplay footage never before seen. The most spectacular looking of which is some gameplay that takes place during a rainy night level. The ambience, the rain and the lightning, look absolutely amazing. You can also tell the game is getting an excellent framerate considering how much is going on.

You can check out all three of the new videos over at IGN.

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 07:55 AM   #2
Jackal
Crapass

what is this X05?
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 08:35 AM   #3
edhe
..dadhe..

Big expo in Amsterdam.

Get your own Gamercard Sig.
edhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 08:54 AM   #4
placebo

Absolut Omfg

Christ, that's beautiful. Although at some time, game developers will have to realize that rain isn't a fast-falling vertical white lines thrown down from the sky; it's just a distortion at a point in the air caused by light bending when it travels through the raindrop. It would be great if they added layers of those little distortions instead of the cliched white streaks.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2005, 03:19 PM   #5
L0cky
UT Envious

At the same time you wouldn't say the same thing about a stylistic animation or comic/graphic novel. I'd be happy to see realistic rain in a factual based simulation such as an official F1 racing sim, but in a stylistic fictional based action game like Gears of War, I think it'd just look plain wrong.
(-8-) Invincible Snowmen - #8.team
L0cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2005, 04:24 AM   #6
Caravaggio
Custom User Text goes here.

[unscolicited thoughts]
1. Yeah, kind of like the blood in the wmv clip. Really cartoonish, but that's the kind of thing I had wanted in ut2004.
2. Don't know what's up with the guy's mouth being open while he's firing. It's like he's orgasming at the enemy or something. Maybe it's an intimidation thing.
3. That thing about pushing the car is a great excuse to show off the moving shadows and sparks and all, but they missed a chance to extend it for a minute or two of gameplay (STAY IN THE LIGHT!!!).
4. It is me or are there no area shadows immediately visible? Is my memory bad or didn't they make a big deal in the early videos about finding a way to do them by interpolating a hard and soft shadow? I figured they'd use them a lot.
5. Even though I'll never buy an x-box. That was badass. Figured I'd better throw that one in.
Caravaggio is offline   Reply With Quote