News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > News & Articles

Old 17th Aug 2005, 06:46 PM   #1
hal
Dictator

Unreal Engine 4 In The Works

An article on Computer and Video Games features Mark Rein spilling the beans on Unreal Engine 4.0, most notably the fact that it's already two years into the development cycle!

"Unreal 4 is totally groundbreaking and totally the way games will be done in the future," Rein continued. " I don't expect it to be staffed up as a team for a while. But when people come to work at Epic, they know they're going to be shaping the future of the videogame business."
Well our gobs were well and truly smacked at this bombshell, because we've seen what Unreal 3 can do already and we're only at the beginning it's potential going into the next gen. Imagine what it'll be like in three year's time when developers have got a full handle on it and can use it to maximum potential with Epic's mature toolset.

Additionally, Mark announced that they currently have about 14 positions available at Epic.

"We're really looking for top talent, nobody should imagine they're paid too well now or that they're too entry level to apply. We're looking for talent. Top talent."
Old 17th Aug 2005, 06:48 PM   #2
Raden
lol

I bet if TWTW really wanted to, he could get one of those positions considering the work he's already done with them.
Raden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2005, 06:55 PM   #3
Jackal
Crapass

wow, 2 years already in dev. So do they start a new engine every 2 years? This is rather amazing, but also troublesome. Shouldn't they be focoused on UE3. Or is UE3 already done, and they just need to polish it and make games for it? Either way, this is great for Epic. They are really taking the cake in th VGD area.
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2005, 07:24 PM   #4
Major-Lee-High
Im a ranter, ignore me!

Cool i guess.

Wish they would work on the ut2k4 version and make it a cheap license for indys too >_<
Old 17th Aug 2005, 07:58 PM   #5
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal-XMP
wow, 2 years already in dev. So do they start a new engine every 2 years? This is rather amazing, but also troublesome. Shouldn't they be focoused on UE3. Or is UE3 already done, and they just need to polish it and make games for it? Either way, this is great for Epic. They are really taking the cake in th VGD area.
IIRC they have two Engine Development teams. One is for R&D on future products and the other is for support and development on current generation technology. Tim Sweeney "leads" them both.

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2005, 08:06 PM   #6
Mad Max RW
Road Warrior

I think they're out of their minds announcing the next-Next generation Unreal engine. All it does is give the competition a chance to crush them when the time comes.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2005, 08:19 PM   #7
hal
Dictator

It isn't giving away too much by saying that they are "working on it", is it?
Old 17th Aug 2005, 08:59 PM   #8
Mad Max RW
Road Warrior

If UE4 is just an updated UE3 then fine..whatever. But when you get stuff like "Unreal 4 is totally groundbreaking and totally the way games will be done in the future" it's getting ridiculous. Epic is setting themselves up for a fall by being so in your face right now, long before they can deliver. It's nothing more than a marketing ploy.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2005, 09:17 PM   #9
Jaenos

I know I tried and was turned down(I dont believe they looked at my reel but my resume, hehe) but yeah they really want the top top top people.

Last edited by Jaenos; 17th Aug 2005 at 09:29 PM.
Jaenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2005, 09:43 PM   #10
T2A`
I'm dead.

Meanwhile all cool new ideas go to UE4 and UE3, though originally touted to be "totally groundbreaking and the way games will be done in the future" by Epic forever while being developed, ends up totally forgotten and utter crap.

Just kidding. I'm sure there's probably about two people working on UE4, and they're probably both genius programmers like whoa. You need larger teams of developers for making actual game content, not an engine (I would think, at least).
T2A` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2005, 09:46 PM   #11
MrBond
ZHP Founder

Hmmm....hype it up and fail to meet the expectations, or hold back and blow away everything? As I recall, the latter situation occured with the release of Unreal.
mrbond@zerohour-productions.net
The future...it can still be something.

I WILL NEVER GIVE UP

Last edited by MrBond; 17th Aug 2005 at 09:48 PM.
MrBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2005, 09:56 PM   #12
BITE_ME
Bye-Bye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Brizz
IIRC they have two Engine Development teams. One is for R&D on future products and the other is for support and development on current generation technology. Tim Sweeney "leads" them both.
Dont forget the team thats working on UE5...They have been working on it for a year.
BITE_ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2005, 09:59 PM   #13
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

It's not that hard to comprehend. They have one team that is fleshing out the feature set for UE3 (yes, even the ENGINE has a design spec) and another team that is working on R&D for UE4.

Every company does it, and, to some extent, talks about it publically. Just because UE4 is named and not just called "our next engine" shouldn't have any bearing on whether it's too early or not./ Several game companies talk about their future games/engines 5 years or so before they are actually released.

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2005, 10:18 PM   #14
Jackal
Crapass

and besides, Epic pwns! UE3 looks absoluletly amazing. I don't think they will disapoint with UE4. But honestly, I don't care....neither should you. It's still 7 years away or so.
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2005, 12:41 AM   #15
flo0tz

Alright guys, time to buy new new comps... :\
Old 18th Aug 2005, 02:16 AM   #16
Plumb_Drumb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLuTe_
Alright guys, time to buy new new comps... :\
lol, maybe time to start SAVING, but not buy.

that new building sounds great.

I think its naive of anyone to think that, announced or not, they weren't working on a new engine.
I mean, "duh", that's what they do.
________
Vaporizer wiki

Last edited by Plumb_Drumb; 28th Aug 2011 at 12:01 PM.
Plumb_Drumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2005, 03:09 AM   #17
fuegerstef

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold News.

Article from June 11th:
http://www.computerbase.de/news/soft...real_engine_4/

I even posted it on Ataricommunity along with the fact that it is in development for over 2 Years.

Last edited by fuegerstef; 18th Aug 2005 at 03:11 AM.
fuegerstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2005, 03:55 AM   #18
Unregistered

BU news geting behind time OMG
Old 18th Aug 2005, 04:52 AM   #19
Kifa
Skaarj Warrior

This really gets ridiculous - starting a next engine even when NOTHING was yet released on the previous... I really don't get it...
Kifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2005, 06:08 AM   #20
Retodon8
Sheep happens!

Well, the other option would be to sit back and do nothing until a game using your current technology is in the stores, which could (actually should) take quite a while, which would be a waste of time and money.
What's there not to get, or the other way around: What would improve if they waited for something almost completely unrelated before working on something new?

Time to buy new computers?
Yeah right, I actually decided I'd wait a little bit after UT2007 was announced to be released maybe halfway 2006.
Otherwise I would've had new hardware by now, but I don't really need it yet anyway I suppose.