Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > Off Topic

Old 26th Jul 2005, 06:02 PM   #1
Mr. Apocalypse
My brain must be broken

Winows XP 64bit

I hear a rumor that Micro$oft is letting people upgrade their XP 32bit to 64bit for free. When I checked it out it was asking for a credit card. DiD I miss it? or is the credit card for like referencing or something that doesnt make sense but still gives me a small ray of hope that I can get XP 64 for free (and legal)

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."-- The Bhagavad-Gita, quote by Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer

I am so 1337.. ppl call me 1338!
Mr. Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2005, 06:09 PM   #2
Keganator
White as Snow Moderator

Shipping?

--|| Sluggy Freelance || The Infiltration Forum Guidelines || Kegnet || Clan Phoenix Rising ||--
PsychoMoogieBagpuss: "...we are implementing an updated [forum] policy."
ZenPirate: "I suggested that we not only ban [offenders], but also ban the forumer next to them."
Arethusa: "So you're (at least largely) a diest?" NTKB: "No im a logical thinking christian"
Keganator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2005, 06:45 PM   #3
Derelan
Tracer Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Apocalypse
I hear a rumor that Micro$oft is letting people upgrade their XP 32bit to 64bit for free. When I checked it out it was asking for a credit card. DiD I miss it? or is the credit card for like referencing or something that doesnt make sense but still gives me a small ray of hope that I can get XP 64 for free (and legal)
I dont think they'll charge your credit card without you knowing :P
Derelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2005, 07:51 PM   #4
Mr. Apocalypse
My brain must be broken

There is no price listing at all, just an insert credit number here slot, and then mailing address stuff, I guess it could be shipping.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."-- The Bhagavad-Gita, quote by Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer

Old 26th Jul 2005, 10:51 PM   #5
Mappie
--Total World Domination--

I thought that you could download it from their site and try it out for "x" number of days. But I never botherd due to the fact that I dont care yet. That and the last windows OS that I run will probably be XP 32..... Hopefully. Some new linux distributions are looking good. anyways.. peace
Mappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2005, 11:02 PM   #6
Derelan
Tracer Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappie
I thought that you could download it from their site and try it out for "x" number of days. But I never botherd due to the fact that I dont care yet. That and the last windows OS that I run will probably be XP 32..... Hopefully. Some new linux distributions are looking good. anyways.. peace
"In order to install this application you have downloaded, you need to un gzip it, untar it, compile it, and run it."
Old 26th Jul 2005, 11:06 PM   #7
Arethusa
We will not walk in fear.

Yes, it's true that you can send in your 32 bit copy and get a 64 bit copy for the cost of shipping. No idea what that specifically costs. I don't even know what Windows costs.

"Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."

"Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughtta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keels. Makes her home."
Arethusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2005, 12:34 AM   #8
ravens_hawk

Windows XP costs $3.20 (USD)
At least that's what they claimed at customs.
ravens_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2005, 06:07 AM   #9
Mr. Apocalypse
My brain must be broken

Windows XP 32 bit OEM $140
Windows XP 64 bit OEM $145

(from newegg)

I guess shipping isnt that bad, even though it is/was downloadable from Miscro$oft itself.

Old 27th Jul 2005, 12:37 PM   #10
TheShiningWizard
Because it's more fantastical.

The obligatory...

TheShiningWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2005, 12:52 PM   #11
SaraP

If you want it, get it NOW; July 31 is the last day you can get a free upgrade through the Technology Advancement Program. And no, you don't have to surrender your 32-bit WinXP; you just give them your product ID. Shipping and handling is $12, and they started shipping July 14...I'm expecting mine any day now.

- USGI M1911/M1911A1 Service Pistols: M1911 vs. M9 , author unspecified

"A woman in Milton Township, Michigan, discovered a Glock .40-caliber pistol in her kitchen. She put it in the oven. That night, the family decided to cook a pizza and preheated the oven. There was a round in the chamber, and the intense heat caused the weapon to discharge, killing a male infant who was sleeping about 25 feet away in the living room."

- The Major Cause of Gun Accidents -- People's Own Stupidity by Brian Carnell
SaraP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2005, 09:00 PM   #12
erehwoN
The Bass Ackwards BTL

I was going to do that a few months ago, but didn't because I couldn't find anyone else who had tried it with a similar rig as mine. So.....those brave souls who do install it.....please let me know how it goes.

In Hoc Signo Vinces.
Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol.
AFA's Homepage :: New AFA Forums :: INF's Official IRC- irc.gamesurge.net #Infiltration
erehwoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2005, 09:17 PM   #13
Derelan
Tracer Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraP
...you just give them your product ID.
Oh.
Old 27th Jul 2005, 11:27 PM   #14
sandworm
[UMC] E-something

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehwoN
I was going to do that a few months ago, but didn't because I couldn't find anyone else who had tried it with a similar rig as mine. So.....those brave souls who do install it.....please let me know how it goes.
Installed it and never use it. No daemon tools support for it (yet), no nostromo drivers for it, and it didn't have drivers for my adaptec scsi card that xp32 had, so 3/4 of my optical drives are useless. That was just from trying it for half an hour.. who knows what more usage would have turned up. Worth less than the nothing I paid for it.
Old 28th Jul 2005, 03:58 PM   #15
Lt.
Elitist bastard

Worth less than nothing.

if you are such a numbnuts that you need to pay your 200 bucks for crap, just wait until Longhorn comes on your new Alienware machine. there is no reason to upgrade your OS to 64 bit right now, there are no applications to take advatage of it, and 64bit-XP isnt a fully functional 64bit os.

that being said Linux is a fully featured 64bit os, and many distros have the software to take advantage of it. (for the record im sitting under linux right now.. looking at the links i use to play INF, Guild Wars and UT 2004 on my overclocked nvidia card... any of you waking up yet? )
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2005, 04:45 PM   #16
Crowze
Bird Brain

Guild Wars has a Linux client? Impressive... although not quite enough to make me switch back since I do play a few Windows-only games.

Infiltration | Sentry Studios
Crowze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2005, 04:48 PM   #17
Arethusa
We will not walk in fear.

Is Longhorn/Vista going to be fully 64 bit? I've been thinking of building a new computer, but dropping 2k doesn't seem worth it with the current hardware/software market.

"Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."

"Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughtta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keels. Makes her home."
Arethusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2005, 01:24 AM   #18
Lt.
Elitist bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowze
Guild Wars has a Linux client?... since I do play a few Windows-only games.
no, Guild Wars is a silly little game written for silly gumdrop computers.
Cedega

Buying it and supporting amaturish programmers (forgodssake *I* can use OpenGL, what is *their* problem.) was a tough decision, but no subscription fees was enough of a dont-be-evil push for me to go ahead.
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote