News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Reviews > Nali City > Nali City - General Forums > Other Stuff

Old 21st Jun 2005, 05:49 PM   #1
Defeat
GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO

Must resist throwing computer at wall.

>My computer likes to randomly freeze up when i'm in applications. I'm 99.9% sure that it's not a virus, it's not my power supply cause i changed it from a 400W to a 560W, not my graphics card cause i changed it from a GeForce MX440SE 64MB to a GeForce 6800GTOC 256MB, it's not my mouse or keyboard. I have windows XP w/SP2 and all the updates, a 512MB stick of Corsair XMS 3200. The most recent was 2 days ago while playing C&C Generals at a small LAN party and it froze in the middle of the game. I don't have to be on a LAN for it to lock up though. My CPU is a Athlon XP 3000+ w/ a FSB of 400MHz and my mother board is a SOYO Dragon KT600 Ultra Platnium. What the hell is wrong with my computer?!?!?!

Q3A kill message: HAY YOU JUST KILLED SOMEONE, HAVE FUN BEING KILLED NOW SINCE THIS MESSAGE IS HUGE

DRW-Nemesis|away> just wait for it 2 more months, and even x6 wouldn't able to beat the best TAM teams
Defeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2005, 06:39 PM   #2
GoldenMouse
Mad Hatter

Probably overheating. Give the innards a good dusting and if it still acts up, get some better cooling on there, most likely on your processor.
GoldenMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2005, 06:41 PM   #3
Rukee
Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

Just guessing here...
..all chipset drivers up to date?
..if your not overclocking at all, and it`s consistant even after a fresh OS install then I would suspect possably the wrong memory timings or memory voltage too low set by the BIOS at boot up. Check the memory manufacturers page for the correct timings and voltages then compare with CPU-Z and the BIOS.
Memtest86 is a memory testing program you can put on a bootable CD or floppy to run in DOS to test the memory for stability and\or errors.
..have you tryed to load optimal or defalt BIOS settings?
...corrupted windows install perhaps? Have you another HDD or a partition you could install for testing?
..check for a possable BIOS update.
..2 sticks of memory running in dual channel mode will give you a slight performance boost.

My car ownz you!!
Restoration pictures password is 'GTO'
Rukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2005, 07:30 PM   #4
Defeat

>I thought it might be over heating but i keep my case clean and I put a new CPU fan on that was rated up to an Athlon 3400+. What are good temperatures for a computer? The chipset drivers are up to date, i have reformatted my HDD around 5 times, my voltages in the BIOS are set to what they should be, i've trind the different bios settings but nothing. Updating the BIOS was something iv'e thought about but 2 of my friends have messed up while doing it and screwed up thier comps so i've been a little afraid to try it. I don't know much about the RAM timings but I had one of my friends check do it for me and it still messed up. I have 2 HDD, one 80 and one 120, both Western Digital. It was only after i got the new motherboard, RAM and CPU when it started doing this so i don't think its the HDD. I think i will cross my fingers and update the bios. Also my mobo doesn't support dual channel RAM so no performance boost for me

Q3A kill message: HAY YOU JUST KILLED SOMEONE, HAVE FUN BEING KILLED NOW SINCE THIS MESSAGE IS HUGE

DRW-Nemesis|away> just wait for it 2 more months, and even x6 wouldn't able to beat the best TAM teams
Old 21st Jun 2005, 07:46 PM   #5
ReD_Fist
Banned

All I will add,is ,fool around in BIOS,disable all and everthing with ACPI or power saving crap,turn off all "subscriptions" disable auto update as well as programs with auto update.

Another great tool for me is "regmon" just let your system sit there,while having regmon capturing,like leave for a lf hour.
Then when you come back,youl see all the funky things that are happening behind the scenes.
It will at least give you a clue instantly if some other thing is kicking in right away instead of having to be a guru ,that you don't want,or may be interfering.
It worked on winME and works on win2000.

Usualy (for myself) nothing,but winXP bagh,i dunno.

Also i have a very old copy,i dont know if this is free,i think it is
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Regmon.html

Last edited by ReD_Fist; 21st Jun 2005 at 07:52 PM.
ReD_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2005, 07:40 AM   #6
Bot_40
Go in drains

If you are sure your drivers etc are all up to date there's no reason why it might not be a software issue. For example, virus checkers often cause a lot of problems.
Try ending all the unessential processes from task manager and see if that helps.
Old 22nd Jun 2005, 07:49 AM   #7
Kantham
Fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenMouse
Probably overheating. Give the innards a good dusting and if it still acts up, get some better cooling on there, most likely on your processor.
Normaly , when my PC overheat, it auto-reset in a matter of a second without asking to save anything (speaking for me here), for of course, save your PC before it burn totaly and you would end up paying a new mobo because you will get bored of it.

I had that recently while using a high PCU usage program. My pc overheated and photoshop don't worked anymore each time i started it. It flushed after reading brushes. Odd. Anyway, your aplications can act like a bitch when you don't close them properly.

I also need to remove alot of dust on my procecor. That would give my CPU a hand.

Last edited by Kantham; 22nd Jun 2005 at 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Kantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2005, 08:32 AM   #8
Rukee

Your puter needs a blow job.

I use an air gun from an air compressor to blast the dust out of the heat sinks and fans.

My car ownz you!!
Old 23rd Jun 2005, 01:37 AM   #9
Defeat

>I updated my BIOS, will see if it freezes up this week. The bad thing is that I don't know when it is going to freeze. I've tried that Bot but it still freezes up. My mobo has an auto sensing heat thingy that shuts off the comp at any temp I choose, right now I have it set at 70 degrees Celcius and when it goes off my comp makes a loud countinuous beeping noise until I pull the plug and that hasn'e happened when it freezes. My comp is clean most of the time, once a week I dust it, inside and out. Thanks for the help so far, i'll see what the BIOS update did.

Old 27th Jun 2005, 10:29 PM   #10
Defeat

>Arrrggg! It did it again, so it's not the bios, crap...

Old 28th Jun 2005, 09:21 AM   #11
Kantham
Fool.

By the way, after reading this thread , i decided to clean my procecor. I guess that i would win a medal for the amount of dirt/crap it had. Wow. The pc feel faster now....
Old 30th Jun 2005, 05:05 AM   #12
oosyxxx
teh3vilspa7ula

Question

Musty, or not musty; there is no must.
oosyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2005, 09:50 AM   #13
GoldenMouse
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defeat
It was only after i got the new motherboard, RAM and CPU when it started doing this...
Perhaps one of them is faulty. You can test the memory directly by using memtest, though I don't know how the other two could be tested short of swapping out hardware to isolate each one.
GoldenMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2005, 09:34 PM   #14
Defeat

>Here is some info that I didn't think to tell because i didn't hink it would help but o well, When my comp crashes the screen messes up the picture on it and goes black after a few seconds, then the out of sync screen comes up. The applications it usually locks up in are C&C Generals, C&C Generals:Zero Hour, and Half Life 2, though the application doesn't have to be a game to lock up.

Old 14th Jul 2005, 10:14 PM   #15
Rukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defeat
> When my comp crashes the screen messes up the picture on it and goes black after a few seconds, then the out of sync screen comes up.
Just sent back a 9800 pro was doing the exact same thing only it would do it with any 3D app within 2 mins of starting, the screen would go black then give me an out of sync message and then either reboot or just shut down. Got the new one back today and it works alot better, for an ATI anyway.

My car ownz you!!
Old 15th Jul 2005, 06:25 PM   #16
Defeat

>They way you say it Rukee it sounds like the comp doesn't lock up. Mine does and it has happen with both of the GPUs i have had, mabye it is something to do with the AGP slot on the mobo. Also i use my onboard sound chip,no card. Anyone know where i can barow a mobo from to test it out?

Old 19th Jul 2005, 01:20 AM   #17
Defeat

>Someone just said that the problem might be from a bad installation, is that possible?

Old 19th Jul 2005, 01:41 AM   #18
ReD_Fist
Banned

Ya got too much sh_t running.I am playing HalfLife2 AMD 1.1 and vid card ti-4600 at AGP 1x,and 512 ram,all is cool,and looks good,and runs really good.To my surprize.
Old 19th Jul 2005, 02:00 AM   #19
Defeat

>Do you mean processes? I will give a list of the proc i have running when it locks up but I don't think that is it.