Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > Off Topic

Old 16th May 2005, 08:40 AM   #1
O_DoGG
Le Boner

GG Pentagon :D

I guess the story is a bit distorted, but this is still very funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/03/military_report_secrets/)
In an incredible online cock-up, the full details of a classified US military report into the shooting of Italian secret agent Nicola Calipari in Iraq have been made widely and publicly available.

The error was caused by the US military itself, which posted an unclassified version of the report on the internet as a PDF file with large chunks blacked out. However, the Pentagon had failed to save the file with the edit lines in place so a simple copy-and-paste of the document into a word processing application revealed the report in full.

Last edited by O_DoGG; 16th May 2005 at 09:11 AM.
O_DoGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 11:01 AM   #2
geogob
Koohii o nomimasu ka?

Location: replication{ reliable if( Role==ROLE_Authority ) Tick;}
Hahaha. That is so awesome.

Even easier... open the PDF in Acrobat 6, Save-As MS word document (and probably some other formats). There you go.

These secret information are rather interesting. A lot of interesting facts to fuel up debates on the american presence in Irak. No wonder these information are (were) secret. I said "were" because the document was published on the web, with all the information it contains. if they are too dump to remove confidential and secret information before they publish a document, that is their problem

--
Intelligenti Pauca

--
Get RealTargets - INF_Loadlim - INF Mod Team addons
geogob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 11:04 AM   #3
anaemic
she touch your penis?

they caught on pretty soon afterwards and unclassified and issued a full release. it was rather boring anyway
Old 16th May 2005, 11:05 AM   #4
geogob
Koohii o nomimasu ka?

Location: replication{ reliable if( Role==ROLE_Authority ) Tick;}
LMAO.... hahhaa

The following line is considered "secret" and "classified" in that report

Quote:
(S//NF) VOIP is a technology that allows telephone calls to be made using a broadband internet connection instead of a regular (analog) phone line.
good god. They live on another planet or what?

--
Intelligenti Pauca

--
Get RealTargets - INF_Loadlim - INF Mod Team addons
geogob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 01:06 AM   #5
Keganator
White as Snow Moderator

Shh! Don't tell them about encryption either...it's considered a munition.

--|| Sluggy Freelance || The Infiltration Forum Guidelines || Kegnet || Clan Phoenix Rising ||--
PsychoMoogieBagpuss: "...we are implementing an updated [forum] policy."
ZenPirate: "I suggested that we not only ban [offenders], but also ban the forumer next to them."
Arethusa: "So you're (at least largely) a diest?" NTKB: "No im a logical thinking christian"
Keganator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 08:24 PM   #6
Approx
I'm 26. Now I've a wife AND a house.

This does not surprise me at all. I work as contractor for the FAA, and some of the stuff I've seen there just blows my mind. Unencrypted data that really, really, really should be encrypted, nearly all IT (creating a PDF of a classified document would be considerd IT) work is farmed out to contractors and then on the sub-contractors who have little to no supervision by government employees, and so on.

Seriously, these people couldn't find their ass cheeks with both hands. I'd be willing to bet that exactly what happened was that a government employee told some contractor who was completely untrained in how to handle sensitive data (from a technical perspective or otherwise) to "make this here a PDF on the internet. Black out these bits here and here," at which point the contractor did something similar changing the background color of the sensitive parts to black and posted it. No process, no training, no thought given to anything...that's the goverment for you.

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
---Ayn Rand

Freedom for me is not having anything to lose. To be carefree and worryless is freedom. I don't need money to do this. All I need is life, and I've already been given that. I am free.
--Chronic

Approx is offline   Reply With Quote