News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament 3

Old 3rd May 2005, 05:14 PM   #1
Discord
surveying the wreckage...

So... which official 2kX maps do you want back?

Sort of the updated version of the Deck question. Which Epic/ DE maps would you miss from 2kX, ie, what are the classics of those games?

My short list:

DM-Asbestos
DM-Compressed
DM-Antalus
DM-Rankin

CTF-Citadel (Aaaargh! ReconGamer!!!! )
CTF-Orbital2
CTF-Chrome (? I have the love/ hate thing with chrome... it makes an impression, anyway, and fairly screams UT2k3)

ONS... I dunno, don't play it a lot. Torlan is probably the most recognizable.
Discord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 05:34 PM   #2
]SideWinder[
Winder of the Sides

off the top of my head,
CTF - Face Clasic
DM - Albatros
DM - Training Day

Old 3rd May 2005, 05:49 PM   #3
T2A`
I'm dead.

I'd actually rather them not redo much of anything at all, but for the sake of the thread...

CTF-Citadel for sure, CTF-Maul, CTF-Grendelkeep, some form of CTF-Orbital, DM-DE-Ironic, DM-Rankin, DM-Antalus, DM-Goose2k4 (might as well have been retail, since it plays better than all of the retail maps and looks better too), and that's pretty much it.

The problem is the retail content was lacking big time. There were a number of good maps, but most were forgettable or unplayable if you wanted something serious. Example: None of the retail 1on1 maps are used competitively except Roughinery. Most of the good maps came from the community, which is sad, because Epic and DE are getting paid for this stuff. Like I said, I want new content in the new UT, not rehashed stuff. I want them to concentrate on making a smaller number of maps really good instead of cramming in as many maps as they can to fulfill some number requirement.
T2A` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 05:50 PM   #4
Twisted Metal
Anfractuous Aluminum

None, I don't want recycled material I want a brand friggin new game. Let the community make the remakes of old maps.
Old 3rd May 2005, 05:52 PM   #5

Rankin will suck with nerfed movements because you can't use any of the slides or do any of the jumps that seperate average players from novice without the dodge jump and and I hear lots of rumors about the dodge jump being taken out. Antalus will suck as well unless they make it so you can dodge up all the slopes you were able to before. Asbestos will suck if you can't dodge jump onto the 100 and that is the coolest part of the map. All of those CTF maps would kick ass still, even with nerfed movement.
1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 05:54 PM   #6
]SideWinder[
Winder of the Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turns2Ashes
... I want them to concentrate on making a smaller number of maps really good instead of cramming in as many maps as they can to fulfill some number requirement.
I agree there. Hopfully they take noticed to the amount of people asking for it. But considering how comunity based they are, Im sure we'll get it.
Old 3rd May 2005, 05:58 PM   #7
Selerox
COR AD COR LOQVITVR

Exclamation Those and just those...

Have you been playing the same game as the rest of us? In what way is Chrome a classic? That's right, it isn't. As for it being indictative of UT2003, what the hell do we want to remember that game for?

DM-Ironic
DM-Rankin

DM-Goose (Soma)
DM-Waisten (Soma)
DM-Fractionary (Soma)

CTF-Grendel
CTF-Orbital(3) - not a remake, but another "inspired by" map
CTF-(February) - same here, but nothing like December or January, they both sucked.

"There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings. I am not aware of Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death. I have mixed feelings about the decline for Christianity, in so far that Christianity might be a bulwark against something worse" - Professor Richard Dawkins
Selerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 06:11 PM   #8
]SideWinder[
Winder of the Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by briachiae
Rankin will suck with nerfed movements because you can't use any of the slides or do any of the jumps that seperate average players from novice without the dodge jump and and I hear lots of rumors about the dodge jump being taken out. Antalus will suck as well unless they make it so you can dodge up all the slopes you were able to before. Asbestos will suck if you can't dodge jump onto the 100 and that is the coolest part of the map. All of those CTF maps would kick ass still, even with nerfed movement.
Take Dodge jumping out? But thats like a UT staple. If anything they might modify it to make it work to there liking but I dont think they can take it out.
Old 3rd May 2005, 06:55 PM   #9
T2A`
I'm dead.

The dodge is a UT staple, not the dodge jump. Briach, once again, you're assuming that not being able to dodge jump will take away everything that you can do in UT2004. If they take out the dodge jump, I guarantee your moving speed will be upped as will the distance you can dodge. If you weren't aware, there were dodge-up places in some UT maps. It just wasn't widespread because people hadn't considered it before.
T2A` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2005, 07:21 PM   #10
Discord
surveying the wreckage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selerox
Have you been playing the same game as the rest of us?
Lessee... box says, "Unreal Tournament 2004." There was another one, I think it said something similar but only had half as many discs. Am I getting warm?

Quote:
In what way is Chrome a classic?
Hey, Face is a piece o' crap too... go figure. I saw a good bit of action on Chrome, tho Citadel may be a better candidate.

Quote:
As for it being indictative of UT2003, what the hell do we want to remember that game for?
I enjoyed 2k3, I had good times playing 2k3, srry you didn't. I'm not alone in that, either, as you yourself will attest:

Quote:
DM-Ironic
DM-Goose (Soma)
CTF-Orbital(3) - not a remake, but another "inspired by" map
Thanks for mentioning Ironic, BTW, I forgot that one. And don't worry... the switch to decaf will only turn you into Mr. Hyde for about a month, then it's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turns2Ashes
Most of the good maps came from the community...
Sadly, that's true. I don't follow the competitive scene that much, but I know it's particularly true for CTF (which seemed like it was KO'ed for a lot of 2k3)... I'll definitely take about 1/2 of the FP maps and even Pistola over just about anything Epic/ DE threw into the pot. Some of the official DM maps get some league play from what I hear...

Anyhoo, UE2 is winding down and really I just wanted to see if there were any maps agreed to have defined the 2kX series... although it may be too soon for that. Definitely is for Selerox, I'd say.
Discord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 02:10 AM   #11
-AEnubis-
fps greater than star

• Ironic
  • Osiris
  • Rankin
  • Soma can port any of his maps (you left out Achilles), but I'd stick to Epic maps for this discussion.
  • Mixer was a good 1on1 map, though it's a bit big for 1on1.
  • Am I the only one who likes Albatross?
  • Roughinery
  • Corrugation
I have to disagree with you on the 1on1 assessment. Not many of them were good, but more then just rough was good.

Rankin's slides won't be missed, they just might have to be scaled down a bit, but the entire map would be anyways with the loss of the double jump, much in the same way so many UT maps had to be scaled up, so you couldn't clear the entire lava pit, side to side on Deck with a jump > wallkick > jump. The "slide" thing was in no way contingent on the double jump. I've been using that to get in the curse windows under the SR since early UT days. You could also dodge up the back of any pillar on Noxx, and reach the keg at the top.

The question was what 2kx maps you wanna see again. Face anything but 3 is not 2kx. Deck, any submarine ctf map named after a month, and Orby (as led a bad example by thread starter) are not maps from 2kx either. They would be series maps, or staples, that more then likely, if they've already seen 2 or 3 of this franchises games, they will see more. As well, he did state (and follow himself) that he was refering too Epic/DE maps, and Soma doesn't work for either company yet IIRC (though it wouldn't suprise me if he did soon with his current portfolio).

Asbestos lacked any kind of flow what so ever, grendel is way to "open", and prolly wouldn't fit the old scale well (so assuming they move back to that, they prolly won't keep grendel). Other then that most maps (including all the CTF maps IMO) are not worth repeating. I would welcome more UT remakes, or more new content though, before rehashing any 2kx content.

I yern for a good game of Bishop, or Closer again. Those maps rarely get played anymore in UT unfortunately.

There is no spam. -- StartButton'd!

Last edited by -AEnubis-; 4th May 2005 at 02:12 AM.
-AEnubis- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 04:09 AM   #12
edhe
..dadhe..

Comp

Get your own Gamercard Sig.
edhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 05:40 AM   #13
flo0tz

rankin maul citadel and chrome, they all have great gameplay, i'd really like to see these brought back, maybe with changed theme just for fun.
Old 4th May 2005, 08:08 AM   #14
The_Head
JB Mapper

The 1on1 maps

I love Roughinery, Trite and all the other complex layouts
[21:14] <The_Head> i feel dirty
[21:14] <RevBillyG> O_o
[21:14] <The_Head> *shudders at the thought*
[21:14] <RevBillyG> its fine as long as you clean up afterwards
The_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 10:56 AM   #15
Rankz
Unrealise

DM-de-Ironic
DM-de-Osiris
DM-Rankin
DM-Curse4
DM-Goliath
CTF-Citadael
Old 4th May 2005, 12:04 PM   #16
AntiMatter
[Ci]

Well I hope they utterly burn and destroy the idea of 1v1 CTF maps.
The ones id like to see back are : CTF-Grendelkeep, DM-Grendelkeep, DM-Compressed, DM-Rankin, DM-de-Osirus2, CTF-Orbital.

\----------------------------------------------/

\---------------------------------------/
AntiMatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 01:23 PM   #17
carmatic

joust was an interesting idea, but it pisses me off too much to play it...
Old 4th May 2005, 01:51 PM   #18
{RA}SKYFURNACE
Game Mapper & Press

hopefully the game is so radically different that none of the old maps from the series will play well.

altho im sure 900000000000 copies of maps will be made by the community
{RA}SKYFURNACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 01:56 PM   #19
Taleweaver
Wandering spirit

DM-Rankin
ONS-Aridoom & ONS-Ascendancy
CTF-Grendelkeep
Curse (just 'cause every Unreal game ships with one)
DM-Roughinery

...And a semi-official one
ONS-Urban-NoLevi (Titan's has many great maps for 32 players, but this one's my favorite)

And one I really hope makes it for another reason...
VCTF-AgressiveAlleys

Last edited by Taleweaver; 4th May 2005 at 01:57 PM.
Taleweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2005, 02:06 PM   #20
Trynant
Manic Brawler

-Mothership made into a Conquest Map. Both of them.
-What about Convoy except you could drive those enormous vehicles and have the huge desert as a playing ground?
-Citadel is fun, despite the fact that it's been played to oblivion.
-A bigger version of Albatross (since it seems UE3 takes advantage of teh hugeness)
-The staples of UT have to be in there (at least the good versions ).
-Maybe a deathmatch map or two .

I agree with Turn2Ashes. We need new content, not rehashed stuff. I think that we will get this new **** considering what can be done with UE3 (or what looks like can be done).

Apparently they're working on gameplay this time too .

Trynant is offline   Reply With Quote