Menu system and GUI

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

leafo

spoiled toothpaste
Mar 29, 2005
One thing I absolutely HATED about ut2k4 was the cheesey GUI(Graphical Uer interface) And how the menus and stuff worked. I thought it looked ugly and wasnt functional. One of the things I loved about UT was the GUI. The whole desktop interface was an interesting concept, and I wish they could build off of that for Envy. I liked how you could set the desktop on or off so you could still have the game going on while you went through menus. I liked how the interfaces looked good and were functional. So one of my wishes for the next UT would be to bring in a GUI system like the old UT, but expand on it at the same time. Like turn the desktop into a desktop where you could have folders or icons with your favoite server, or your mods, etc. That pseudo hi-tech large font and interface they have now is just ugly. The fonts need adjusting and colors need to be fixed. Maybe they could look to operatin system for ideas, a sleak and function window system.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I don't really mind UT2004's GUI save for one detail. I know it can be improved, but I don't hate it overall. The one thing I do hate is I ALWAYS intuitively hit back to change gametypes rather than go to the gametype tab, even though I've had the game for a year. Not being able to change the gametype on the fly is dumb.

Xipher

I didn't break it, you did
Feb 15, 2004
Iowa
Although, the Menu like system of UT2004 was alright, I would really like to see the old UT style setup again too, or something similar. It was nice being able to have all those windows. The other thing, is the UI feels to "big" in UT2004, its like its all crampt, where UT was nice and spread out. Plus, it would be great to be on IRC with UT, but have the server browser window open at the same time :D.

NiteX

Unreal Junky
Feb 11, 2004
La
I agree with all of you here I would love to see the return of the classic UT menu setup. I hated 2k3's menu and 2k4's was a small step up. I really loved how some mods had animated clips as the background. I think Neo Cario had this. I also rathered the style of the single player menu in UT. I hope they make it similar to that as well.

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
[MD]FT said:
I thought that the UT2004 GUI was really good
Same here. :tup:

I agree that the UT99 interface was better (everything was just a couple clicks away), but that doesn't make this interface bad or ugly. In fact, I think Epic deserves an extra thumbs up for the filter menu: a complex task, yet completely intuitive (not that I use it much).

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
UWindows would be awesome as well IMO. The 2k3 design was, no doubt, due to Unreal Championship, and UT2004 was a step in the right direction, but it is still, for some, confusing. (Me? No problems, of course. ;))

Still, UWindows would definitely be some nice Icing on the cake.

T

Tournament0

I didn't mind UT2004's GUI.
But I hope Epic will make a better one for Envy.
:tup:

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
yeah, I'd absolutely love to see a return to true UWindows UT style, but I remember epic saying a while back it never felt like a "game interface". I just got doubts that they would go back to such a scheme.
imo the optimal thing to do would to include both types of interfaces, so power users could select UWindows and a desktop if they wanted, but it would default to the "intuative to use" UT2k4 style menu. Of course I don't suspect that would happen either with all the extra work :)

fireball

Reach out and torch someone
Turns2Ashes said:
I don't really mind UT2004's GUI save for one detail. I know it can be improved, but I don't hate it overall. The one thing I do hate is I ALWAYS intuitively hit back to change gametypes rather than go to the gametype tab, even though I've had the game for a year. Not being able to change the gametype on the fly is dumb.
Hey, someone else who does that by instinct too!
I think the idea behind UT2004's GUI was ok, but they just really didn't choose what to put where very well (for example, the weapon hand choice on the Player tab instead of the HUD tab, and I still think that basic things like number of bots and score limit should be on the gametype screen...)

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
I still haven't got the hang of the UT2004 menus.
although I never got the hang of the UT99 menus..... (mainly because my pc crashed if i tried to open something quickly :p)

I would love to the the old one back though, it looks much better. I dont like the bright freindly look UT2k has. 2k4 was an improvement over 2k3 though. That crap menu music isn't there.

Perhaps be able to choose between both menu sets? and be able to add in new themes or something?
Lets see how many different ways we can mod this game! lol

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Rebuild and Replace

The menu system for UT200x was, and is, awful. I don't know who desgined it, but they need to be whipped, as well as whoever thought the main menu screen of UT2004 was acceptable to use in the game.

Ideally, I'd like a return to UWindows, but failing that, a total redesign to make it easier to navigate and better to look at. I'm hoping Epic can do that, the menu system throughtout UT200x was a bit of an embaressment tbh.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
The 2kx menu system itself is quite nice, it works well and it doesn't cause delays when opening menus, atleast on my computer, unlike uwindows which constantly paused for a few moments after a window was open. I also don't get the graphical lag I had whenever uwindows was open. I like the functionality of the gui, I just don't like the graphical representation. It's too cheesy. :c

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
The Weapons Menu takes 20 seconds on my Athlon 2100+
My brothre's takes longer as he has a huge amount of weapons mods in. SO if he clicks it he goes out of the room and comes back in 2-3 minutes.
Would be nice If they could stop it taking so goddamned long.

Its annoying in the middle of a match online, say you wanted to change ur crosshair etc

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Selerox said:
Weapons menu causes a delay of anywhere up to 3-4 seconds when opening, and my rig's hardly obsolete.
That's because the system checks every single time for new custom weapons. I'd rather not have that check, and instead add a button with 'check for new installed weapons'