All the known info about the next Unreal Tournament (CN: ENVY) [Update: 30-3-2005]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zoeff

Unreal Exploiters
Oct 22, 2004
The Netherlands
Well, i guess i'd post my atari thread here aswel then ;)

This is a thread to make things more clear and to prevent useless threads from being made. I'll try to get every known info about the next Unreal Tournament in this thread. If more info is released i'll update this thread.

Intro
Everybody agreed that there will most likely be another Unreal Tournament. This got confirmed on the 25th of March 2005 when the first rumors started to spread around on IRC (Internet Relay Chat) that Computer Gaming World has an interview with the leading developers of the next Unreal Tournament game. (Lead Designer: Steve Polge, Lead Level Designer: Jim Brown and Producer: Jeff Morris) This interview is made in a darkened conference room at Epic Games' North Carolina Offices.

Here are a few snips:
Originally written by the people at Computer Gaming World:
"The programming is ahead of the art right now. Which is kind of intentional." Steve calmly notes. "We really wanted to focus on gameplay before art." I can see why this statement makes sense, but it doesn't do much to erase the look on my face as i watched Jeff maneuver through a bunch of blocks masquerading as a level from the next iteration of one of the biggest multiplayer shooters ever. I realize that i'm looking stunned and try to lighten the mood. "Don't worry. i'm not scared. I'm not going to write a story that says, 'It's the craziest thing, there's no art in this game - It's all bricks!'" I chuckle brightly. And because neither Steve nor Jim nor Jeff looks convinced, i become privy to the details of just how the next Unreal Tournament is being made.
----snip-----
"Actually, we don't think 2K4 was very successful [...] It wasn't a bad game... I just wish it could have been a better game than it was." - Steve Polge
"We've paid [...] a lot of attention to what the guys in the community are saying, and we take that feedback to heart." - Jim Brown
"The original Unreal Tournament was on the threshold of being a great game. If we had done 2K4 without having to feel kind of in the box of what we had started in 2K3, I think it would have been a much better game than it was." - Steve Polge
"[In UT2004] you miss the feeling you get from being in someone's face and fighting with them." - Jeff Morris

Scans of this at the bottom of this thread.

UPDATE:
The top video actualy shows the new Scorpion in action!
http://www.1up.com/do/download?cId=3138759

Game Facts:
- The new publisher will be Midway instead of Atari.
- The game will run on the new Unreal Engine 3.
- Goliath Tank may have destroyable tracks this time around.
- Scorpion will have an enclosed cabin this time around. Now it has Rocket Boosters.
- Code name for this new game is "ENVY"
- 18 Vehicles. 9 Vehicles from UT2K4+ECE and 9 new necris vehicles.
- The Skaarj team won't be in this game.

- Further info on the Conquest gametype:
* Features eight teams, each with unique armor.
* Conquest maps are "potentially as large as three onslaught maps with assault-like objectives and even a form of limited resource management planned"
* "there may be the option to treat a conquest match like a long term war, so you can play, take a break, and then go back and play more later"
* "you can use your stats to find similarly abled opponents"
* "pre-game lobbies" will be present in some form
* "clan pages and other sites will be able to be viewed from within the game"
* "conquest will take advantage of the Unreal Engine 3's ability to seamlessly stream maps by putting you in a battlefield the size of several maps stitched together"
* "players will battle on one of two teams, each sides terriroty will look physically different, as you take a territory it will convert to the otherteams structures and physical surroundings"
* "conquest should appeal to a wider gaming audience and provide a place where longer-term strategy, teamwork, and face-to-face fragging all meet"

- The following Game Modes will be in this game:
* Onslaught (ONS)
* DeathMatch (DM)
* Team Deathmatch (TDM)
* Capture The Flag (CTF)
* Conquest (???) - The new game mode.
Game Modes that will be left out:
* Bombing Run (BR)
* Domination (DOM)
* Assault (AS)

- 11 Weapons:
* Rocket Launcher
* Redeemer
* Flak Cannon
* Link Gun
* Shock Rifle
* AVRiL
* Translocator
* Sniper Rifle
* Dual Enforcers (Returns from the original Unreal Tournament)
* Tridium Stinger (Returns from the original Unreal)
* Canister (New, houses a Grenade Launcher, Mine Layer and a Bio Rifle)

- 8 Teams with unique Armor:
* Nakhti
* Necris
* Juggernauts
* The Corrupt
* Iron Gaurd
* Krall
* Jacob's Team (Actually the UT2K4 team, unnamed)
* Player's Team (Whom you play as in the Single Player Campaign, also unnamed)

Stats of Teams so Far in the next UT:

Nahkti: UC2 -redisgned from the "anubians"
The concept was that the Nakhti people have their own combat tournament called the Ascension Rites, which is held whenever the Emperor or Empress is unable to rule. Anyone can enter the tournament, and the winner becomes the new ruler. The Liandri Mining Corporation steps in and tries to commercialize the event, and at the same time, hopes to 'encourage' the selection of a new ruler who will let them exploit the resources of the Nakhti planet.

Necris: UT / UT2K4 / UC2
The Necris are a new race (human, but with dead pale skin) who are attempting to destabilize the New Earth Government through guerilla warfare. The Phayder are a dangerous secret society of Necris assassins.

Kragoth a Necris Phayder is a known member of the Phayder Secret Society.
A brood of assassin and doomsday cultist, the Phayder have declared a sort of guerilla war against Earth.

Juggernauts: UT2K3 / UT2K4 / UC / UC2
Gorge is determined to prove that his one year reign as Tournament Champion is no fluke, and he has re-assembled the Juggernaut team he led to the championship. Axon Research Corporation has made armor and bio-genetic upgrades to the Juggernauts design for this year's Tournament.

Corrupt: UT / UT2K4
Xan Kriegor was long regarded as invincible, until Malcolm defeated him in the fourth officially recognized Tournament finals. After a long hiatus, he has returned to lead the Liandri team, The Corrupt, back to the championship. Xan is sitting out the early rounds, which he perceives as beneath his attention.

Iron Guard: UT / UT2K4
Members: Harlin, Rylisa, Johnson, Lauren, Brock
This veteran squad of elite warriors once served as personal bodyguards to the powerful arms smuggler Jihan Nyhn. After Jihan's assassination, the Iron Guard found themselves unemployed and the Tournament was an ideal arena to vent their aggression.

Brock and Lauren joined forces with Malcolm during his reign as Tournament champion. Infighting and recrimination over their stunning defeat in last year's Tournament led to the dissolution of that team. Now, Brock and Lauren have returned leading their old team, the Iron Guard.

Krall: Unreal
The Krall are a slave race of the Skaarj, and have been integrated into their society as a lower class of soldier. Though a Krall will always follow the orders of a Skaarj, they have their own ways of rebelling, such as by sleeping or playing dice when they are supposed to be on duty.

All Krall come armed with a staff weapon with three vertical blades on one end. The weapon is long enough to be considered a staff, but top-heavy enough to act as a mace when necessary. This weapon is also capable of launching energy bolts from the bladed end, so it will also server as a ranged weapon. In general, most Krall are slow but agile. This is predominantly due to their frail legs, which can be lost in battle quite easily.

Krall Elite are high-ranking Krall that can be identified by their white skin and blue accents. They are more agile and demonstrate a much greater skill in battle. They also carry a staff weapon that shoots faster and more powerful energy bolts.

Jakobs Team: ?

*Note: Brock & lauren are Necris in UC2:

"Malcolms Loyal teammate, Brock Attempted to avenge his defeat and kill Gorge. His Death was predictable. He was ressurected via the patented Necris Process. Unlike is former girlfriend Lauren, Brock has no memories of his previous life. Unburdened by remorse, hes free to kill in the tournament again."

"Lauren is a former grand tournament champion. After her boyfriend Brock died in combat, she pulled a Romeo and Juliet; taking her own life as well in grief. The Liandri couldn't afford to have two of their top competitors dead all at once, so they brought Lauren back to life with a very horrific (and expensive) Necris process. She's still cute, but she's just barely sane. Not a good combination"

UT and UC:
Mike Caps:
"No, we're not planning a sequel for UC2 just yet! Epic has its plate full with two next-generation projects already in development, which you'll hear more about at E3. "

&

"When we first started work on UC2, we actually set out to design the next Unreal Tournament, which expected would be Unreal Tournament 2005.

This was back in late 2002, right after Unreal Tournament 2003 had shipped. The plan was to take the Unreal Tournament franchise to next-generation, DirectX9 PCs.

We started with a redesign of the Egyptian race from UC1 and UT2003; we thought it had tons of potential, and that environment set is very flexible for building interesting worlds, but the characters weren’t working well for me.

Anubis was our first character, and the concept really shows the detail we felt we could accomplish with DX9 hardware. The plan was to have the warriors fight wearing masks, which would give us some easy interchangeability between characters. Because these people needed a name other than "those Egyptian folks", we called their race the Akkadi for a while, and later settled on the Nakhti. "

"DX9 hardware didn't come as rapidly as we hoped.

But more important, we really didn’t like the idea of tossing out the foundation of UT2003 and starting again from scratch on a new engine.

So, we decided to spin off another team to make UT2004 while we worked on what we thought would be UT2005.

(And they did one hell of a job, and we later grabbed everyone we could for our team!)"

"Then Microsoft started knocking on our door asking about another Unreal Championship on Xbox, and they wanted it in less than a year. We dove right in, head first. We postponed UT2005 for a little longer, and took all of our art concepts with us to UC2 for a quick sequel.

Okay, so the quick sequel didn't happen quite as planned; Microsoft loved where we were going with melee in a shooter, and wanted to give us time to pull it off. "

Do realize that all of this info can change because this game is still in the early stages of the development.

Source of the info:
Beyond Unreal
Computer Gaming World
Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread That informed me in the beginning

The Scans: (Click for a larger version)

I will update this thread when new information is available.
If you see something thats not posted here and you think should be in here then make a reply! :D I'll also update the atari thread. So the devs can check it ;)
I hope i made things clear for the community :)

- Zoeff

Last edited:

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
The Necris are a new race (human, but with dead pale skin) who are attempting to destabilize the New Earth Government through guerilla warfare.

and why then are they in the tournament? they think that shooting people = destabilizing the earth government?

and i think that jacob's team is 'thundercrash', which malcolm is part of...

and oh, what about that mokara alien race... or the one which abbadon leads... and i think that the 'player' team will be the mercenaries, with sapphire etc in it... what about the hellions?or the 2k3 robots(not xan or axon, but thorax, mandible etc)?

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
*Cloned from my response in the INA version

Originally posted by Zoeff
Game Modes that will be left out:
* Assault (AS)
You'd think they'd have learned their lesson about leaving AS out

And as for the new teams...
GAH!!
I want an updated Renegade and Syzygy and Rapier and all the other ones like that :mad::tup:

I just hope they add some better custom crosshair support to vehicles

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Keltare said:

GAH!!
I want an updated Renegade and Syzygy and Rapier and all the other ones like that :mad::tup:

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/mods.asp?id=837&s=1

I don't think 400 players was a fan base thet were particularly worried about (considering probably 200 of those are probably bots on unfilled listen servers).

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Keltare said:

GAH!!

- Further info on the Conquest gametype:
* Features eight teams, each with unique armor.
* Conquest maps are "potentially as large as three onslaught maps with assault-like objectives and even a form of limited resource management planned"

I have a feeling that assault will be obsolute next to the new game mode.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
That was pretty much my thought as well, Assault is dead per se, but it's actually just being absorbed into Conquest. It won't be the whole idea of the map now, but perhaps it will allow access to, say, an alternate, quicker, easier route to the enemy base or some sort of Resource Cache.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
i think that this is not only absorbing Assault, but also Tribes or something as well? like, at a glance it might seem obvious that this will absorb onslaught as well, but maybe onslaught and its powernodes compared to conquest and its assault-like objectives ,would be like comparing instagib (straighforward but unrealistic) with NW (more realistic and varied but ummm sometimes too much)

like maybe epic is trying to add this planetside-like twist to UT , with its neverending levels and massively multiplayer warfare action, but of course UT will be more varied than planetside because Envy isnt released yet , but imagine the themes of the Unreal 1 levels compared to the monotonous levels that you find in other online games , and hopefully Envy's levels will be like that

like, you know, i always thought that Deck16 was a place inside isv-Kran , and maybe a conquest match can span a spaceship wreck like that where you fight through the decks of the ship on foot, as well as on the terrain around it with vehicles etc....

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Eh, we'll have to wait and see if Conquest is as good as it sounds.
It's just that the "...provide a place where longer-term strategy, teamwork..." part worries me
It's hard enough finding teamwork on pubs already

[SKD]Jai

The Soulkeeper Level Design Manager
Jan 22, 2005
United Kingdom
www.thesoulkeeper.com
This is what i was thinking about this, Do you remember the old UE3 pictures released last year? and the whole "Gears of war" theory, Maybe the gears are race symbols, and the "gears" are the race symbols for one of those races. Where it says "in conquest" "players will battle on one of two teams, each sides territory will look physically different, as you take a territory it will convert to the other teams structures and physical surroundings" ?, Its only a theory, but a possible theory at that.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Dark Pulse said:
Deck16 is in the ISV-Kran, yes.

Funny how there aren't any entrances/exits.

;-)

Necris: UT / UT2K4 / UC2
The Necris are a new race (human, but with dead pale skin) who are attempting to destabilize the New Earth Government through guerilla warfare. The Phayder are a dangerous secret society of Necris assassins.

Kragoth a Necris Phayder is a known member of the Phayder Secret Society.
A brood of assassin and doomsday cultist, the Phayder have declared a sort of guerilla war against Earth.

Well, that pretty much sounds like what you can read in the biography files of the Necris tournament players in UT :O)

Grail (loque) being the calmest and wisest, iirc.
Visse, the one with the nasty temper etc...

SharKTanK

:zzz:
Oct 5, 2003
Manchester
Does anyone else think that the whole 'changing landscapes depending on who controls it' and '9 necris vehicles, as well as 9 existing vehicles' make anyone think that Conquest is basically going to be Humans vs Necris? (Kinda like the WW games that have allies vs germans etc...) :)