Which finger used for scroll wheel?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

bazai

Mar 21, 2005
Hi All,

I've been playing UT2k4 for over a month and having trouble switching the weapon and shoot with my index finger because my index is really short. But I'm used to use my index to shoot and scroll.

Is it the good way to play or should I retrain myself to use the middle finger for scroll wheel and ring finger for secondary fire?

Thanks in advance.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
If you're going to scroll, use the middle finger, BUT.....

you need to learn to bind each weapon to a specific key. This game is designed around fast weapon switching. If you rely simply on scrolling through the weapons, you're going to always be at a disadvantage.

Welcome to BuF! :)

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
I scroll though all of my eapons and do just fine. It is simplay a matter of making the connection in your brain of which weapon you want at what time, and converting it to a number of scroll wheel ticks. I always have the weapon I want, and fast.

Old Gil

°J2°'s resident lagger
Jun 20, 2004
^^^ im same way, id actually switch slower by pressing a button i think, i love the scroll wheel

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
There is no right way to do it. Pros will tell you you need to bind a key for each weapon, but if you're good with the scroll, who cares? Pros are annoying anyway. I use a combination of both. I have a button to pipeswitch shock and LtG, a button to pipeswitch flak and rockets, and a button to pipeswitch the highest two of the minigun, link, and bio. Even still, since I used to never have any binds, I'm still prone to use my SwitchToBestWeapon key and scroll from there (usually only one scroll wheel click though). If you just want to scroll with no keys for any weapons, a best weaon key is a good idea. I use it whenever I walk over a weapon I know is higher in my priority list than the one I have if the situation is right (no switch on pick-up for me).

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
I use my pointer finger. And have up scroll bound to flak and down scroll bound the sniper. Then the other weapons bound the keys. I'd recommend a similar setup.

Ragna

Was online.
Dec 1, 2004
Sydney, AUS
I use meh rude finger to scroll.

But I mainly just use keybindings for my weapons. My Caps Lock pipeswitches between the Flak and the Rockets (the SPAM button I call), Tab for the shield, Shift for the Ltg and Sniper and Ctrl for the Shock and Mini.

All the time I accidently type in full Caps after pressing Caps Lock because my keyboard doesn't show if its on or not.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Welcome bazai! :wavey:

I use my middle finger on my mouse wheel, that's the finger that's resting there when I'm holding the mouse. :)

mousehand.jpg

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
I use my pointer finger for weapon firing and scrolling. I have keys for a few weapons that I use most bound close to wasd as well.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
When it comes to a gaming setup, there are two rules that can contradict each other:
1. You have to be comfortable with your setup
2. You have to be able to reach all important keys fast

The fire buttons are your most important keys and you really should assign a whole finger to them. Hyrulian's finger setting is the most classic one for this, but you can use just about any setting that's comfortable.

Oh, and welcome to BUF, bazai :)

CyMek

Dead but not gone.
Jan 4, 2004
cymek.deviantart.com
I just realized that I dont have just one finger for scrolling - I switch off, although I sue the index most often due to the fact that I can't fire and switch at the same time.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Turns2Ashes said:
There is no right way to do it. Pros will tell you you need to bind a key for each weapon, but if you're good with the scroll, who cares? Pros are annoying anyway. I use a combination of both. I have a button to pipeswitch shock and LtG, a button to pipeswitch flak and rockets, and a button to pipeswitch the highest two of the minigun, link, and bio. Even still, since I used to never have any binds, I'm still prone to use my SwitchToBestWeapon key and scroll from there (usually only one scroll wheel click though). If you just want to scroll with no keys for any weapons, a best weaon key is a good idea. I use it whenever I walk over a weapon I know is higher in my priority list than the one I have if the situation is right (no switch on pick-up for me).

Dude, you're replying to someone who playes the game for a month. Do you expect him to know what a pipeswitch is? :D :lol: (if ts actually knows, no offence meant ;))

I use a combination of mousewheel and buttons myself. My shock and rockets are bound to keys (mouse4 and num0) the rest is on my mousewheel. As said before, it's a matter of learing, I know by the amount of clicks in the wheel which weapon im holding.
I use my index finger for the wheel.

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
I use my middle finger for scrolling as well as indicating that someone is #1. But, there is no "right" way so whatever floats your boat....

I used to scroll through all my weapons, but I'd often miss the one I wanted so I'd continue to scroll around, which I bet was funny to watch. Since then, I've bound keys and set up pipes, so now my scroll only brings up the link, no matter how much I scroll it.

bazai

Mar 21, 2005
Wow,

My first post was very well blessed :)

From the replies, I realize that the most efficient way to switch weapons is to bind to the keyboard. As of now, I'm reading other posts in this forum to learn how to bind and pipe ;) . But I'm also interested to know which finger the majority of the "UT Pros" used to scroll the wheel while playing.

Thanks for the overwhelming replies.
Peace :)