News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > Coding

Old 27th Feb 2005, 05:09 PM   #1
HereticElite2K4
HaloUT Custom Skinner

Lightbulb Full 1st Person View

Is it possible to make a full 1st person view in UT2003 or UT2004 like in Halo and Halo 2? Here are some teaser shots on what I mean.

These are merely illusions and if wondering if the Unreal engine is capable of doing this effect in real-time. And if so I also wondering if anyone would be so kind in pointing me into the right direction in making this possible?

[Meaning that you are able to see your own arms and legs in 1st person view like in Halo while you are in motion.]

Last edited by HereticElite2K4; 27th Feb 2005 at 05:47 PM.
HereticElite2K4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2005, 05:14 PM   #2
JonAzz
UA Mapper

I think that its possible, do not see why not. all that is currently being done is hiding the player actor,mesh from the actual player.
Old 27th Feb 2005, 10:53 PM   #3
meowcat
i am a rock, i am an island

Yes it is very doable but with some caveats. check out this thread for a sample mutator: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showt...ht=true+person

Beppo and the INF team tossed it together to place the third person camera in the the head of the player. It is for UT2k3, but I think it will still work.

There are a few problems will full first person though.
1: the third person weapon model is typically too low poly for most people, so if you use the first person weapon model, you have to somehow hide the player arms and third person weapon model while the feet are still visible (setbonescale 0 maybe?)
2: There can be a lot of weird model "clipping" issues when viewing the rest of the player model from the head like being able to see "into" the arms.
3: if you attach the camera to the models headbone, You have to make sure all of the animations work properly in that view and that there are not any situations in which the head goes into a wall (usually not a big deal since the collision cylinder is typically large enough to prevent this).
TD Vehicles v125: HMMWV, MI4Hound, Black Hawk & AH-6 Helicopters, Motorcycle, IFAV Jeep, Abrams Tank
Jetpacks for UT2k4!
meowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2005, 12:49 AM   #4
HereticElite2K4
HaloUT Custom Skinner

Full 1st Person View

Thanx for the info meowcat, I'll check it out and see how this camera system works.

Last edited by HereticElite2K4; 28th Feb 2005 at 08:26 PM.
HereticElite2K4 is offline   Reply With Quote