Unreal Championship 2 Demo Review

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 15, 2004
Sounds like you were just mad at your incompetence with an Xbox controller. ;) :lol: :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I agree with your point about Halo 2 being more suited to a controller setup, but believe me, it gets a lot better with time. You'll never be able to pull of the 180 turns and crazy trickjumps you could on a PC, but once you get good enough you'd be hard-pressed to notice the difference. It's just like using mouselook for the first time; it takes a while to get used to.

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
SteelTalon said:
Sounds like you were just mad at your incompetence with an Xbox controller. ;) :lol: :rolleyes:

Not really, although I'll admit I'm not adept at it, which is why I brought my son into play here (he plays a wide variety of FPS games on Xbox anywhere from 4-12 hours per day). I just think the basic premise is flawed: believing that regular people can effectively control players on a console controller in a fast-paced FPS.

The stealthier Rainbow Six and Splinter Cell Xbox games, as well as Halo 2, are slow-paced enough for people, including myself, to effectively control their characters.

Pete
-BeyondUnreal

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
Nice review of the demo QAPete...thanks :)

I'll have to go out and pick up a copy of OXM to see which points I agree/disagree with you on though.

B

Bocher

Played the demo. Thought it was pretty crappy. Unreal Championship 2 is expectedly dissapointing and is nothing but a bunch of ripped off ideas :(

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Doesn't sound like you were too impress there, Pete.

I guess that lessened the chances of me getting an Xbox... D:

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
DemonThing said:
Doesn't sound like you were too impress there, Pete.

I guess that lessened the chances of me getting an Xbox... D:

It's the controls, DemonThing. I can't get past how awkward and limiting console controllers are to me when it comes to first person action shooters. I'm going to take the Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory demo for a spin (it's on the same disk) and see how I feel about controlling it, as it's a much slower-paced game.

UC2 itself is going to have a lot to offer those who don't have as much of a problem with the controls. 40-ish maps, more weapons, more characters. It's certainly a major step forward compared to UC1 as you might expect.

Pete
-BeyondUnreal

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Alright, I played the demo finally, and here is what I think.

The controls are DEFINITELY not as fluid as Halo2, which I think severely hurts it as a console FPS. It has a similar control scheme, but where you can pick up the controller in Halo2, sit down for 10 minutes and figure out the controls and how EVERY mechanic in the game works, this is not going to be possible with UC2. Due in part to the melee system.

Which brings me to my next point. UC2 is probably going to fail in that it is trying too hard to be Mortal Kombat in the melee system. There are three basic moves for each character, pretty much a small, fast attack, a medium attack, a heavy attack, and a couple combos and a finishing move. It, unfortunately, feels as much like an FPS with melee added as an afterthought as it did at GDC2004.

However, I think this will still be a defining game for the Xbox. It's rare to see as POLISHED a game as this, especially for a console FPS (and especially following up the disaster that is UC1). I think the game will succeed on many levels for most Xbox owners simply because, through all of the problems I listed above, it is still extremely fun. As limited as the Melee is...it's kind of like playing Swords only on Halo2. On there ou only have one move, but it's still extremely fun. As far as I'm concerned, UC2 is expanding on THAT idea more than it is becoming a fighting game.

Which is not to say that the melee system could not have used alot more work...

I personally feel the two play systems jive better than just fine, however the game ends up feeling like two games, one very well developed and the other just kind of slapped on top.