Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > General Infiltration Discussion

Old 16th Feb 2005, 10:30 PM   #1
Craetech

Post Infiltration not necessarily an FPS

Most of the time, I dont think of INF as a FPS or even a game. IMO, its a
"modern day infantry simulator"
Not unlike flight simulators, they do not boast not stop action or something from a John Woo film, but face the "player" with the restrictions of RL. What SS has, have, and will do is provide the player with basic tools of an infantryman (or woman) as both a person, i.e. walking, crouching, prone, leaning, etc., as well as a weapon, i.e. equipment, rifle's fire where its pointed, manual recoil control, etc. What you do with these is up to you. That's where tactics comes into play, and this is more powerful than any weapon available. That, and lots of training of course!

On the other hand, the player *is* seated in front of the monitor (usually. haha). Little "simulator" elements are therefore implemented to emulate the limitations of the computer hardware, i.e. HUD with stamina, bulk, weapons carried, etc.

Just my thoughts on INF: This is as real as it gets.

NOTE: Please do not perform this action without professional supervision.
Craetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2005, 07:19 AM   #2
Crowze
Bird Brain

Another similar instance is Richard Burns Rally - it's much more of a simulation than rally game. The attention to detail is mostly what makes it so realistic. However, I wouldn't say Inf is 'as real as it gets' - that's just complacency. It probably is over most FPSs around at the moment, but it's no excuse not to look at even more details and areas of improvement.

But I'm sure the Inf team knows this, so take this post as just a plug of my favourite rally simulation .

Infiltration | Sentry Studios
Crowze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2005, 07:38 AM   #3
Vega-don
arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée

inf is really mental. i like this. its about making decisions in regard of what you anticipate the ennemy to do , who is making decisions in regard of what he is expecting you to anticipate ect ect
Vega-don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2005, 11:27 AM   #4
NTKB
Banned

WARNING: This is NOT a toy!

"Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent." -Dionysius of Halicarnassus
NTKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2005, 12:07 PM   #5
yurch
Swinging the clue-by-four

Sorry kids, there's a long way to go before inf can ever be considered simulator.
It's first person. You shoot things. Aspects you would expect in a 'simulation' are usually skipped or ignored. Hence, an FPS.
yurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2005, 12:39 PM   #6
geogob
Koohii o nomimasu ka?

Location: replication{ reliable if( Role==ROLE_Authority ) Tick;}
At what point does the FPS become a simulator yurch?

I think that the use you make of it is more important than the software itself.

--
Intelligenti Pauca

--
Get RealTargets - INF_Loadlim - INF Mod Team addons
geogob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2005, 02:07 PM   #7
yurch
Swinging the clue-by-four

It doesn't. Not with the way we treat and play it. Calling it a simulator is just pretentious.
Old 17th Feb 2005, 08:58 PM   #8
NTKB
Banned

Sadly, I gotta agree with Yurch. I wish to god I can curse and scream at him for speaking these things, but its all truth. Geo does make a good point, but yurchs is stronger.

"Let your speech be better than silence, or be silent." -Dionysius of Halicarnassus
NTKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2005, 10:05 PM   #9
CFA
The Cult Of Personalities

i like to refer to it as a RPG(role playing game) where we play roles of modern day and past day soldiers.filling the role of a soldier is really more exciting than running around like a madman taking on 6 people at a time.
CFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2005, 12:40 AM   #10
Craetech

Amen!

I just wish INF gameplay and teamwork will be somewhat like Full Spectrum Warrior (which was in some way used by the US army).

NOTE: Please do not perform this action without professional supervision.
Craetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2005, 02:56 AM   #11
Taque
Custom User Title

Well if you ever played flight sims geo, I'd like to think that Falcon 4.0 was a simulator as opposed to the Jane's games which were more arcadey. Sure, there were real elements in the Jane's games, but Falcon just took it 20 or 30 steps more. Hell, large parts of the manual for the actual Falcon were included in the one for the game.