7 Bullets

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
What no threads about 7 Bullets on BUF UT forum yet ?

Well here it is.
Despite i had few times to play it since some days (i have just talking to the nali prophet "spirit" if you see where i am) i am very impressed so far.

After a long and overall boring (but very well done in the unreal engine) beginning played a la Half Life (don't you like room then vent then room then vent in the darkness with a flashlight, well i don't personnally) it became a very lot better once out of the outpost with really impressive views and very good architecture.

The story is interesting and the Scarred One is impressive (well at least he was really awesome when i was in a lift and him in a foggy corridor starring at me, it was really "atmospheric").

Congratulations to the authors , it is a must play.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Does anyone have any idea why mutate PrevItem and NextItem don't work :) ? I'd love to play the game but it's going to be difficult if I can't use the flashlight :p .

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
>Fearless
After activating Oldskool in the mod menu
Go to Options -> OldSkool configurations -> Keys
And voila, all the extra key you need to bind are there.

Without a flashlight i believe i would have uninstalled 7 bullets very quickly, as you are in the dark for a long time in the first part of the campaign :)

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I've played through it.
The ISV levels are...
Well, the atmosphere is right. It's creepy, claustrophobic etc...
Felt just right. But it got a little boring after a while. Unfortunately :-/ I've played through it on medium skill, and it's challenging. I'm don't suck (although I haven't played in a couple of months), I think I did ok. But it made me think.. what if you'd play through this on unreal skill?

Load/save I guess, a lot. UNLESS, you are aware when the monsters will come looking for you, where to find them etc...

I've tested the co-op mode :p I hate the whole load/save thing.

Seems I ran into certain problems. Well, maybe they won't repeat themselves.. but I wonder.

At most level endings the world turns pitch black etc...
At the end of level 1 nothing happened. (first try). I ran back and forward, figured I had hit the teleporter (right?).. nothing happened. I had to manually switch levels (switchcooplevel); OK, it happened only once no big deal :O)

The new Trench didn't really impress me that much.

See, there are a couple of things that made me frown.

About the skybox (don't get mad):

Why didn't you guys switch to anything more 3D? Using bsp in the skybox?
I've seen it done before. Hey, even on one of the opening levels of Xidia.
It worked great.
That flat rock texture is plain horrible. Isn't it? Don't you think it is? I've always hated that. Never felt as if there were actual rocky formations in the distance.

Figured you guys would've switched to 3D structures, seeing you'd most likely wanted to push UT's limits again. Shame :-/

EDIT: Or maybe terragen skies? For example as in Dm-Dominis.
Or that Ctf level by hourences...

A small nitpick: The red planet. Heh, it's flat. Not really convincing. Why didn't you use a moon, or earth? And changed it's texture? (create depth, play with shadows).
Also would've been more convincing.

Now, the following level was quite nice!
A temple level which didn't suck. (in looks, and gameplay).
The traps well :O) If you've played through many sp campaigns before, you know how to avoid/solve them.
But I'm sure many players will become victim to the... ;-)

I've read as many messages as I could. I always make good use of the translator. On some levels it was bearable. Other levels had tons of messages. All of the sudden you start thinking 'is it relevant using my translator again'? Yes, seeing on most levels you need passwords.

Made me cringe my teeth on one of the deck levels. Finally made it to the other end and it appeared I needed a password :Op I HATE YOU! ;-)

The Vandora level. Once you leave the arena, and enter the part of the level where you find the skaarjtroopers normally...
Now that's one of the best looking parts of 7bullets. Great work. (including the temple level bit, where you find the marine with his weapon etc...)

Fighting the enemy there was quite fun. There's a frantic fighting scene. Maybe that one's more fun in co-op than SP.

The Vandora level flows nice.

I almost forgot. The part in the temple level you're at the spinner section.

Now that was a nice find. People being caught by those spinners, prisoned in the spiderwebs.. made me laugh. I really enjoyed that section, quite original hehe.

Some sections of 7bullets are huge. Bigger than I though. At one moment my UT almost froze (old computer), but luckily it accepted the challenge and the game went on.

Noork.

Dissapointed me for some reason.

Why is there a player start next to the bridge? Obviously a bad decision, seeing there are 4-5 snipers in sight which can kill you with one shot?

Don't get me wrong, the changes made to the level are fine. I'm not objecting to those. But the gameplay sort of lacked. Well, maybe it's just because it's the first time I played through it...
Just didn't like it that much.
Vandora was much better.

In the next levels there's yet again astounding architecture, lots of frantic fights...

lots of friggin' turrets grrrr :Op

but I quit at the start of the third level. So I'll comment later on these 3 levels.

All in all, 7bullets is worth playing. A must download for nostalgic unreal gamers.
I hope they'll like the new Noork though ;-) Seeing most objected against Davidm's version of Nyleve's falls.. I wonder.

Expect a challenge though. Some monsters go down really easy, others might take some planning to fight.
The scarred one, well...
I kicked his arse.

=O)

Last edited:

MrBond

ZHP Founder
Sep 23, 2003
USA
zerohour-productions.net
Hellscrag:
Not too long ago, the only OldSkool I knew about was the one that put in the original Unreal weapons (or are they one and the same?). They were a bit of a downgrade from UT weapons, so I never really used them that often. Then nature took its course, hard drive crash, reformat, crash, etc. and I never really got around to reinstalling it.

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
mrbond113 said:
Hellscrag:
Not too long ago, the only OldSkool I knew about was the one that put in the original Unreal weapons (or are they one and the same?). They were a bit of a downgrade from UT weapons, so I never really used them that often. Then nature took its course, hard drive crash, reformat, crash, etc. and I never really got around to reinstalling it.

Oldskool Amp'd is much more than that - fully configurable SP menus & code for UT.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
OldSkool Amp'd can allow you to replace UT weapons with Unreal ones if you want (as you are not forced in using those options while enabling Oldskool), but its primary usage is to allow you to play single player campaigns and coop games.

And judging the very high quality of the majority of the SP campaigns available (very easily at the original Unreal level of quality and interest and sometime really better in my opinion) that gives you the feeling you are playing different SP new retail games, Oldskool Amp'D is really a good mutator even if you have no use of the "replace UT weapons by Unreal ones" options.

And it is a small download (unlike the SP campaigns unfortunately if you are stuck with 56k, but the SP gaming pleasure those campaigns can give is really worthing the time spent in the download)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Oldskool is a must have mod for UT. Been using it since 2001.
For example, playing through Unreal with UT mutators was/is great.

... Shame that extremily annoying window pops up informing you "cheating isn't the right thing to do".

Yes, Eavydarkmatch is cheating o'right ;-)

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Have you tried the 2 deathmatch/team deathmatch maps that are in the 7 Bullets ?
DM-7B-BulletTime
DM-7B-Sanguine

I just play two deathmatch on Sanguine, on Turbo with 6 Adept bots, and that is totally awesome, exactly what deathmatch is supposed to be on a map that have a very lot of "flow".
This map has a lot of potential and never disapoint, lot of rooms and connectivity and not too big , the bots are really frag monsters on this map. A real DM masterpiece.

If DM-7B-Sanguine had not been already released standalone, it should really be, it is just one of the best DM map i ever played.

Last edited:

darth_weasel

I won
Apr 20, 2002
UK
darth-weasel.tripod.com
FieldMedic said:
Have you tried the 2 deathmatch/team deathmatch maps that are in the 7 Bullets ?
DM-7B-BulletTime
DM-7B-Sanguine

I just play two deathmatch on Sanguine, on Turbo with 6 Adept bots, and that is totally awesome, exactly what deathmatch is supposed to be on a map that have a very lot of "flow".
This map has a lot of potential and never disapoint, lot of rooms and connectivity and not too big , the bots are really frag monsters on this map. A real DM masterpiece.

If DM-7B-Sanguine had not been already released standalone, it should really be, it is just one of the best DM map i ever played.

meh. maybe i'll do a 2k4 version, since it's design is very modular as it is, since i wanted it done in under a week. the gameplay is the best of my maps. just the theme is as generic as it gets. so maybe i'll save it for when i run out of ideas.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
i tryed it , uninstalled it

and yes Neonite ;) , i just downloaded it to delete it then :p , lol