News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > Coding

Old 6th Sep 2004, 08:05 PM   #1
Axionysus
Don't Call Us, We Won't Call You :)

Question In game IM client mod

I'm relatively new to modding and mutators but I have an ambitious idea for a project that will combine an Instant message environment that supports mulitiple clients including- AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and IRC or at the very least AIM with UT2K4's HUD as a HUD mutator (interaction). I think I'll change the texture files that the program (trillian) uses into .utx's and then write a small script that causes the final graphics product to be called to the game's screen with the press of a designated key. However I'm wondering how I can allow a script that lives in UT and is written in UnrealScript to utilize the actual messaging features (dll.s, buddy list, ignore/block list, log files, etc.). Is it possible to create some type of function that loads all of Trillian's files (dll, xml, dtd, and txt are the main ones I believe) from the client's computer into Unreal and allows the mutator to access them accordingly? Or do I have to somehow create a series of new classes like UT2004's IRC classes used for in game chat that give my mutator IM client functionality.... does anyone have any ideas, links, advice etc.

Last edited by Mychaeel; 7th Sep 2004 at 03:12 AM. Reason: removed font color/face markup
Axionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2004, 11:39 AM   #2
Shambler[Bishop
>Put title here<

That's pretty ambitious...I wouldn't think IRC would be too big a problem seeing as that's already functional on the browser but as for the IM programs....Well you would have to look up technical information on those programs and then probably use the InternetInfo classes (UDPLink/TCPLink) in IpDrv.u to communicate between programs.

I would think it'd be a lot of work.
Shambler[Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2004, 12:04 PM   #3
BinarySystem
Banned

Probrably the easiest way I can see would be to use the UnrealEngine Runtime. You can get the C++ headers for the Runtime, and use that to interface to Trillian. Then, you can interface between your UT2k4 mutator and the Runtime via the UDPLink.
BinarySystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2004, 02:54 PM   #4
elmuerte
Master of Science

I think it's easier to write a plugin for trillian and makes it easier to communicate to it from within the engine via a TCPLink.

I doubt you'll get the access to the headers for the runtime for somethin like this.
elmuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2004, 03:38 PM   #5
Axionysus

FONT=Arial]thanks for the advice, looks like i've got some research to do, I need to look at my C++ book and find some code libraries for IM clients. Does anyone have any links to tips/tuts for writing code to be used (preferably speciifc to UnrealScript) that interacts with other languages and programs?[/FONT]
Old 7th Sep 2004, 03:39 PM   #6
Axionysus

haha my font tags got included in the post!
Old 7th Sep 2004, 04:29 PM   #7
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

you missed the opening [

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2004, 08:35 PM   #8
Axionysus

yeah I caught that, silly opening [ and it's tag displaying antics
Old 7th Sep 2004, 11:38 PM   #9
Sir_Brizz
More Than Just Mad Skill

you can edit your post and repair it

Liandri Archives - A veritable smorgasbord of information about the Unreal series
If Titanic taught me anything, it's to never let go until you're a frozen corpse staring hopelessly into a barren horizon.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote