Touchscreen shooting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
I was standing in a supermarket going through the checkout line with my mom and then I saw that the employees were using touchscreens to process our purchase....

...If I got a touchscreen for UT2004, wouldn't I have Godlike aim? All I would have to do is touch the enemy on the screen and he would die, right? Or am I wrong?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
A touch-screen monitor is nothing without with proper software underneath it to make it work. Sorry to shatter your dreams. ;)

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I don't think it would work; the way touch screen drivers work is make the pointer go to a certain coordinate on the screen.

However, the UT games don't aim by moving a mouse pointer to a certain spot; rather they aim by seeing how your mouse moves in the X and Y axes, and reflects that movement in your aiming.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
It would be interesting to see how a touchscreen can be used in a FPS game. Nintendo had a multiplayer demo of Metroid Prime running on their DS, and you can use the touchscreen to strafe and stuff...so who knows. :lol:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Even if you could solve the control-problem (a cave-system perhaps ?) you still wouldn't be that much faster.

I'd say that looking at an enemy is faster ... so if you want to eliminate one source of 'lag' on your side then that is where you'd need to investigate.
The only problem is that you'd need to find a way to hit the firebutton or else you'd still be 'slow' ... (think of the helmet-sight system the Russians use in their fighters ... )

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
touchscreens have lag of their own. Go into some departmentstore and find a touchscreen controlled advertising computer and tap a button on the screen: you'll see that you'll have to wait 1/2 sec, maybe even a sec if the comp isn't very fast. Besides, how were you gonna move? You have one hand for WASD, one hand to move your FOV and one finger for shooting that ass that hides behind that hill. The last two are combined in your mouse, but not in your touchscreen. Conclusion: buy a mouse :2thumb:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Perhaps it takes 1/2 sec, *because* speed isn't exactly a requirement in those situations.
Nevermind that a really fast touchscreen probably would be more expensive as well.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
It wouldn't work (not right now anyway) because you cant right click on a touch-screen. Even if it did work you'd look like a twunt playing such a fast game like unreal. Just look at the eye-toy for ps2 :crazydance:.
I suppose it would be quite handy for strategy games like warcraft though.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
shadow_dragon said:
Reflex shots are useless in UT for anything other than Instagib though, getting the first hit isn't much of an advantage, i find i often get the first hit on an opponent but still get owned!
*cough*. .sure. :)

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
neilthecellist said:
But the lag on touchscreen monitors at supermarkets have slow computers.....I have a 1.8 GhZ processor.....there shouldn't be lag if I got the touchscreen monitor, right?
Well, touchscreens have microcontrollers of their own that turn finger touches into serial data that the computer can understand, so the speed of the computer would not determine how fast the touchscreen could operate. :(

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
This might work. You'd have to try it and see. Pressing on the screen does register as a mouse movement, so maybe if you adjusted the sensitivity just right it could be accurate - but I don't know for sure if it would as it might not be entirely linear - IE something twice as far from the center of the screen may not require exactly twice the mouse movement to aim on it, so you might not be able to get the sensitivity perfect.

Also you would likely be accused of aimbotting if you could get it to work, due to the instant turning. The problem of turning/moving could be solved by using a joystick, which isn't the ideal implement for FPS gaming, but it would work.

And yes, I believe that the lag on touchscreen monitors only has to do with the software that is being used on them and the computer itself. I've used touchscreens that did not have any apparent lag.