Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th Jul 2004, 10:20 AM   #1
OICW
Reason & Logic > Religion
 
OICW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 18th, 2000
Location: New South Wales, Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,374
Sarcastic Fundamentalists in government

http://166.70.44.66/2004/Jul/07072004/utah/181590.asp

Quote:
Reading from the Bible on the floor of the Senate on Tuesday, Sen. Orrin Hatch endorsed a federal judicial nominee who wrote that wives should have a subordinate role in marriage, with the Utah Republican emphasizing "millions and millions of people will agree with" that view.
Quote:
Hatch also discounted criticism over a 1980 letter Holmes wrote to a newspaper arguing that rape victims should not be allowed to have abortions because "conceptions from rape occur with approximately the same frequency as snowfall in Miami." Holmes has since apologized for the comment.
This is why I'm against fundamentalists of any religion being in power; believe in your own views as you like, but don't even think about using them to repress any members of a society if you're in power just because your religion thinks it's a great idea.
__________________


"If there is a country that has committed unspeakable atrocities in the world, it is the United States of America" - Nelson Mandela, at the International Women's Forum
OICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 02:28 PM   #2
Derelan
Tracer Bullet
 
Derelan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul. 29th, 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,626
Then don't live in that country?
__________________

Derelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 02:29 PM   #3
Rostam
PSN: Rostam_
 
Rostam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May. 1st, 2001
Location: Leiden, Holland
Posts: 2,807
That's the dumbest thing I ever heard you say.
Rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 03:12 PM   #4
geogob
Koohii o nomimasu ka?
 
geogob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 11th, 2000
Location: replication{ reliable if( Role==ROLE_Authority ) Tick;}
Posts: 4,148
Yeah, pretty dumb comment... Religion and political power should not be mixed together... it always turns out ugly. It seem that we are all stupid fools who didn't understand this yet, after a few thousands years of existance. I guess it's not tomorrow that it's going to change either.
__________________


--
Intelligenti Pauca

--
Get RealTargets - INF_Loadlim - INF Mod Team addons
geogob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 03:18 PM   #5
Hadmar
Queen Bitch of the Universe
 
Hadmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan. 29th, 2001
Location: Nerdpole
Posts: 5,383
c:\>move c:\countrys\germany\Hadmar.brush countrys\canada
It's so easy.


Seperation is a must.
__________________

Last edited by Hadmar; 12th Jul 2004 at 03:19 PM.
Hadmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 03:37 PM   #6
The_Fur
Back in black
 
The_Fur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov. 2nd, 2000
Posts: 6,204
The US should take a look at turkey as an example. Fundies grow too strong the army steps in.
__________________
"States are not moral agents; those who attribute to them ideals and principles merely mislead themselves and others."
-Noam Chomsky

"Ignorance, and admiration arising from ignorance, are the parents of devotion and obedience"
-Dostoyevski
The_Fur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 06:08 PM   #7
Nightmare
Only human
 
Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep. 23rd, 2001
Location: Finland
Posts: 446
The Turkish army is doing the nationalist BS instead. It's not that long since talking Kurdish was a crime in Turkey.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 06:50 PM   #8
Derelan
Tracer Bullet
 
Derelan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul. 29th, 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,626
Then may god help us all.






...
__________________

Derelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 06:55 PM   #9
unixman
[pthread] The Clan of One
 
unixman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 8th, 2001
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 199
Law should play no part in attempting to instill values unto its citizens. Law is to provide protections for liberty and justice. This is exactly why Jefferson and Madison fought for the seperation of Church and State. You cannot have freedom of religion or mind when the law attempts to implement the "moral" views of a select group.

My wife is my equal. I would never look upon her as my subordinate. A wife requires respect. She is not my sex slave. She is not my domestic servant. If these men can find willing participents to partake in their shame, that's fine. But, I'll be damned if I would allow such behavior to be enforced as a matter of law.

Don't even get me started on the rape issue. I'm all for women being able to defend themselves. If a man attempted to rape my wife, his life would end before he layed a hand on her.

The Christian right wing has always been a prevailant force in U.S. politics. I am grateful that our constitution has survived intact after decades of attack from their fundamentalistic and simplistic views. The fight for liberty is a never ending one. There will never be a day when the powers that be will not attempt to take it away; now so more than ever. Take our freedom away in the name of national security. I say nay! Fear terrorists? No. Fear your own government.

Okay that's enough patriotic ranting.
__________________

Blood, Sweat, and Code

Last edited by unixman; 12th Jul 2004 at 09:07 PM.
unixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 08:12 PM   #10
RPGKnight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul. 12th, 2004
Posts: 2
Hey, everyone knows women are useless. It's been common fact for quite some time. Hey, I mean, Hitler* agreed with it; he knew women were only good for making babies. And if Hitler says it, then it's right**.

*I'm serious, he did.
**I've had trouble in the past like this, so, in case you couldn't figure it out, I'm joking.
RPGKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 09:16 PM   #11
TheShiningWizard
Because it's more fantastical.
 
TheShiningWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun. 26th, 2000
Location: New England
Posts: 2,644
So what exactly is the government supposed to do? Make a list of all opinions one can find in the Bible, and ban people with those opinions from holding a government position?
__________________

TheShiningWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2004, 05:07 AM   #12
Nightmare
Only human
 
Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep. 23rd, 2001
Location: Finland
Posts: 446
That would leave everyone out.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2004, 03:41 PM   #13
ecale3
Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
 
ecale3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul. 13th, 2001
Location: Maryland Bitch.
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheUniverseXXX
So what exactly is the government supposed to do? Make a list of all opinions one can find in the Bible, and ban people with those opinions from holding a government position?

Yes....
__________________
The man who said "It is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all" has obviously done neither.

ecale3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2004, 02:36 PM   #14
The_Fur
Back in black
 
The_Fur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov. 2nd, 2000
Posts: 6,204
I 3rd that motion we can now commence voting...
__________________
"States are not moral agents; those who attribute to them ideals and principles merely mislead themselves and others."
-Noam Chomsky

"Ignorance, and admiration arising from ignorance, are the parents of devotion and obedience"
-Dostoyevski
The_Fur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2004, 08:08 PM   #15
jaunty
If you disagree with me, you're wrong.
 
jaunty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 30th, 2000
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheUniverseXXX
So what exactly is the government supposed to do? Make a list of all opinions one can find in the Bible, and ban people with those opinions from holding a government position?
WOOOOO WOOOOOOOO! HERE COMES THE CLUE TRAIN! LAST STOP IS YOU!

The problem isn't that he has an opinion in common with the Bible. The problem is that his sole justification for his actions is that the Bible says so. Separation of Church and State is based on the entire concept that laws get written because people want them or need them, not because Jesus says so.
__________________
Burn Christians, not books.
jaunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2004, 08:50 PM   #16
Derelan
Tracer Bullet
 
Derelan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul. 29th, 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunty
WOOOOO WOOOOOOOO! HERE COMES THE CLUE TRAIN! LAST STOP IS YOU!

The problem isn't that he has an opinion in common with the Bible. The problem is that his sole justification for his actions is that the Bible says so. Separation of Church and State is based on the entire concept that laws get written because people want them or need them, not because Jesus says so.
...Jaunty was writing this as he began to light a crucifix on fire...


__________________

Derelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2004, 02:19 AM   #17
TheShiningWizard
Because it's more fantastical.
 
TheShiningWizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun. 26th, 2000
Location: New England
Posts: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunty
The problem isn't that he has an opinion in common with the Bible. The problem is that his sole justification for his actions is that the Bible says so. Separation of Church and State is based on the entire concept that laws get written because people want them or need them, not because Jesus says so.
And elections are based on the entire concept that citizens decide who will serve in their governments. If citizens want to vote for people who use the Bible as their justification, they have the right to do that. That's the reality of the situation.

Now, what do you propose the government do? Care to draft up a process in which certain people are barred from running for office based on the justification for their beliefs, as well as a system that removes those people from office, thus nullifying the citizen votes?

Yeah, there's no way that would fail.

Quote:
WOOOOO WOOOOOOOO! HERE COMES THE CLUE TRAIN! LAST STOP IS YOU!
Cute. How about we focus on the Reality Train for a moment, on account it's the one that ultimately matters. That's a little more difficult than making witty Mojo statements, no?
__________________

TheShiningWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2004, 02:43 AM   #18
Horror of the Heights
Random jackass from the year 2000!
 
Horror of the Heights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul. 15th, 2004
Posts: 7
^

That isn't a Mojo statement...That's a Maddox thing. http://maddox.xmission.com/ check the hate mail. Jaunty, if Maddox found out you were stealing his material, he'd crush you with his eyelid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeltheuniversexxx
Now, what do you propose the government do? Care to draft up a process in which certain people are barred from running for office based on the justification for their beliefs, as well as a system that removes those people from office, thus nullifying the citizen votes?
There would be absolutely no need for that. Also there already is a separation of church and state. If there wasn't, we'd be seeing a wide range of christian right-wing missions going on around the country right now - Don't believe in god? Then off to a concetration camp you go! Don't come back until you've fully memorized the bible, and placed faith in our lord and savior!

Now that would be terrible.
Horror of the Heights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2004, 04:38 AM   #19
jaunty
If you disagree with me, you're wrong.
 
jaunty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 30th, 2000
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,506
Maddox wishes he could out-pirate me.
__________________
Burn Christians, not books.
jaunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2004, 04:54 AM   #20
spm1138
Irony Is
 
spm1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug. 10th, 2001
Posts: 2,662
FTU does have a point.

I can't really be bothered arguing this in detail because I feel like I am about to start vomitting phlegm any minute, but while you can make it so that church isn't formally recognised as being part of a countries constitution the people in power should represent the beliefs of the general populace which in the case of America means you're stuck with a % of right wing fundie nutcases.
spm1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Copyright ©1998 - 2012, BeyondUnreal, Inc.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Bandwidth provided by AtomicGamer