Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > Off Topic

Old 12th Jul 2004, 10:20 AM   #1
OICW
Reason & Logic > Religion

Sarcastic Fundamentalists in government

http://166.70.44.66/2004/Jul/07072004/utah/181590.asp

Quote:
Reading from the Bible on the floor of the Senate on Tuesday, Sen. Orrin Hatch endorsed a federal judicial nominee who wrote that wives should have a subordinate role in marriage, with the Utah Republican emphasizing "millions and millions of people will agree with" that view.
Quote:
Hatch also discounted criticism over a 1980 letter Holmes wrote to a newspaper arguing that rape victims should not be allowed to have abortions because "conceptions from rape occur with approximately the same frequency as snowfall in Miami." Holmes has since apologized for the comment.
This is why I'm against fundamentalists of any religion being in power; believe in your own views as you like, but don't even think about using them to repress any members of a society if you're in power just because your religion thinks it's a great idea.

"If there is a country that has committed unspeakable atrocities in the world, it is the United States of America" - Nelson Mandela, at the International Women's Forum
OICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 02:28 PM   #2
Derelan
Tracer Bullet

Then don't live in that country?

Derelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 02:29 PM   #3
Rostam
PSN: Rostam_

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard you say.
Rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 03:12 PM   #4
geogob
Koohii o nomimasu ka?

Location: replication{ reliable if( Role==ROLE_Authority ) Tick;}
Yeah, pretty dumb comment... Religion and political power should not be mixed together... it always turns out ugly. It seem that we are all stupid fools who didn't understand this yet, after a few thousands years of existance. I guess it's not tomorrow that it's going to change either.

--
Intelligenti Pauca

--
Get RealTargets - INF_Loadlim - INF Mod Team addons
geogob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 03:18 PM   #5
Hadmar
Queen Bitch of the Universe

c:\>move c:\countrys\germany\Hadmar.brush countrys\canada
It's so easy.

Seperation is a must.

Last edited by Hadmar; 12th Jul 2004 at 03:19 PM.
Hadmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 03:37 PM   #6
The_Fur
Back in black

The US should take a look at turkey as an example. Fundies grow too strong the army steps in.

"Ignorance, and admiration arising from ignorance, are the parents of devotion and obedience"
-Dostoyevski
The_Fur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 06:08 PM   #7
Nightmare
Only human

The Turkish army is doing the nationalist BS instead. It's not that long since talking Kurdish was a crime in Turkey.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 06:50 PM   #8
Derelan
Tracer Bullet

Then may god help us all.

Old 12th Jul 2004, 06:55 PM   #9
unixman
[pthread] The Clan of One

Law should play no part in attempting to instill values unto its citizens. Law is to provide protections for liberty and justice. This is exactly why Jefferson and Madison fought for the seperation of Church and State. You cannot have freedom of religion or mind when the law attempts to implement the "moral" views of a select group.

My wife is my equal. I would never look upon her as my subordinate. A wife requires respect. She is not my sex slave. She is not my domestic servant. If these men can find willing participents to partake in their shame, that's fine. But, I'll be damned if I would allow such behavior to be enforced as a matter of law.

Don't even get me started on the rape issue. I'm all for women being able to defend themselves. If a man attempted to rape my wife, his life would end before he layed a hand on her.

The Christian right wing has always been a prevailant force in U.S. politics. I am grateful that our constitution has survived intact after decades of attack from their fundamentalistic and simplistic views. The fight for liberty is a never ending one. There will never be a day when the powers that be will not attempt to take it away; now so more than ever. Take our freedom away in the name of national security. I say nay! Fear terrorists? No. Fear your own government.

Okay that's enough patriotic ranting.

Blood, Sweat, and Code

Last edited by unixman; 12th Jul 2004 at 09:07 PM.
unixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 08:12 PM   #10
RPGKnight

Hey, everyone knows women are useless. It's been common fact for quite some time. Hey, I mean, Hitler* agreed with it; he knew women were only good for making babies. And if Hitler says it, then it's right**.

*I'm serious, he did.
**I've had trouble in the past like this, so, in case you couldn't figure it out, I'm joking.
RPGKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2004, 09:16 PM   #11
TheShiningWizard
Because it's more fantastical.

So what exactly is the government supposed to do? Make a list of all opinions one can find in the Bible, and ban people with those opinions from holding a government position?

TheShiningWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2004, 05:07 AM   #12
Nightmare
Only human

That would leave everyone out.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2004, 03:41 PM   #13
ecale3
Sniper - May be harmful to your health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheUniverseXXX
So what exactly is the government supposed to do? Make a list of all opinions one can find in the Bible, and ban people with those opinions from holding a government position?

Yes....

ecale3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2004, 02:36 PM   #14
The_Fur
Back in black

I 3rd that motion we can now commence voting...

"Ignorance, and admiration arising from ignorance, are the parents of devotion and obedience"
-Dostoyevski
The_Fur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2004, 08:08 PM   #15
jaunty
If you disagree with me, you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheUniverseXXX
WOOOOO WOOOOOOOO! HERE COMES THE CLUE TRAIN! LAST STOP IS YOU!

The problem isn't that he has an opinion in common with the Bible. The problem is that his sole justification for his actions is that the Bible says so. Separation of Church and State is based on the entire concept that laws get written because people want them or need them, not because Jesus says so.
Old 14th Jul 2004, 08:50 PM   #16
Derelan
Tracer Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunty

The problem isn't that he has an opinion in common with the Bible. The problem is that his sole justification for his actions is that the Bible says so. Separation of Church and State is based on the entire concept that laws get written because people want them or need them, not because Jesus says so.
...Jaunty was writing this as he began to light a crucifix on fire...

Old 15th Jul 2004, 02:19 AM   #17
TheShiningWizard
Because it's more fantastical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunty
And elections are based on the entire concept that citizens decide who will serve in their governments. If citizens want to vote for people who use the Bible as their justification, they have the right to do that. That's the reality of the situation.

Now, what do you propose the government do? Care to draft up a process in which certain people are barred from running for office based on the justification for their beliefs, as well as a system that removes those people from office, thus nullifying the citizen votes?

Yeah, there's no way that would fail.

Quote:
Cute. How about we focus on the Reality Train for a moment, on account it's the one that ultimately matters. That's a little more difficult than making witty Mojo statements, no?

TheShiningWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2004, 02:43 AM   #18
Horror of the Heights
Random jackass from the year 2000!

^

That isn't a Mojo statement...That's a Maddox thing. http://maddox.xmission.com/ check the hate mail. Jaunty, if Maddox found out you were stealing his material, he'd crush you with his eyelid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeltheuniversexxx
Now, what do you propose the government do? Care to draft up a process in which certain people are barred from running for office based on the justification for their beliefs, as well as a system that removes those people from office, thus nullifying the citizen votes?
There would be absolutely no need for that. Also there already is a separation of church and state. If there wasn't, we'd be seeing a wide range of christian right-wing missions going on around the country right now - Don't believe in god? Then off to a concetration camp you go! Don't come back until you've fully memorized the bible, and placed faith in our lord and savior!

Now that would be terrible.
Horror of the Heights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2004, 04:38 AM   #19
jaunty
If you disagree with me, you're wrong.

Maddox wishes he could out-pirate me.
Old 15th Jul 2004, 04:54 AM   #20
spm1138
Irony Is

FTU does have a point.

I can't really be bothered arguing this in detail because I feel like I am about to start vomitting phlegm any minute, but while you can make it so that church isn't formally recognised as being part of a countries constitution the people in power should represent the beliefs of the general populace which in the case of America means you're stuck with a % of right wing fundie nutcases.
spm1138 is offline   Reply With Quote