>

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Forum Archive > Clone Bandits > Editing/Mapping

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th Jul 2004, 01:42 AM   #1
Screech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul. 11th, 2004
Posts: 109
idea for other (next?)map

I've been playing clone bandits online a lot--i'm a regular at a few of the servers. needless to say, although the mod kicks ass, the one map gets repetitive. however, i think it would take away a bit of the fun to have a totally different map because a lot of what makes this game so cool is the future-retro look of not only the vhicles but also the map itself. so, i figure: why not make a "darknight" version of this map? the only thing that i think would need to be changed with the mod in general is that in order to accomodate nighttime playing, lights would have to be added to all the vehicles (i don't think the tank has any, and a tank you can't see would be a bit too powerful IMHO).

problem is, i can't map i might be able to look over mapping over the summer now but i can't be sure. so i'm hoping that some of you geniuses might be able to mak this work

moscowboys flying around at night would look awesome i think
Screech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2004, 05:00 PM   #2
hottoast
Art Worker
 
hottoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan. 4th, 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screech
I've been playing clone bandits online a lot--i'm a regular at a few of the servers. needless to say, although the mod kicks ass, the one map gets repetitive. however, i think it would take away a bit of the fun to have a totally different map because a lot of what makes this game so cool is the future-retro look of not only the vhicles but also the map itself. so, i figure: why not make a "darknight" version of this map? the only thing that i think would need to be changed with the mod in general is that in order to accomodate nighttime playing, lights would have to be added to all the vehicles (i don't think the tank has any, and a tank you can't see would be a bit too powerful IMHO).

problem is, i can't map i might be able to look over mapping over the summer now but i can't be sure. so i'm hoping that some of you geniuses might be able to mak this work

moscowboys flying around at night would look awesome i think

Actually, the Lounge Tank has lights mounted on the front of it... Though the idea of a night-version of the level is interesting, it would probably be a lot of work, in exchange for a level that isn't really new. We'd rather spend the energy making something wholly new, yet still preserving that retro look.

We encourage you to take a look at mapping levels - all the art that's in Death Valley is provided for use in our packages, so making something in the same style is certainly possible!

Cheers,
Tom
__________________
Tom Lin
Sr. Artist
Demiurge Studios
www.demiurgestudios.com

hottoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2004, 03:08 PM   #3
Screech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul. 11th, 2004
Posts: 109
yeah, i se your point i guess i will start looking at mapping eventually
Screech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2004, 03:57 AM   #4
bluchez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul. 6th, 2004
Posts: 7
I'm working on this idea in my spare time. I'm about half way there, and will post it here in about a week.
bluchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2004, 03:27 PM   #5
hottoast
Art Worker
 
hottoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan. 4th, 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluchez
I'm working on this idea in my spare time. I'm about half way there, and will post it here in about a week.
awesome! We're always happy to look at cool maps.

Cheers,
Tom
__________________
Tom Lin
Sr. Artist
Demiurge Studios
www.demiurgestudios.com

hottoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2004, 10:33 AM   #6
Screech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul. 11th, 2004
Posts: 109
this is great
Screech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2004, 12:22 PM   #7
bluchez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul. 6th, 2004
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screech
this is great

I got it dark just fine, now I'm just spending time adding street lights, etc.

Should progress fine by the end of the week.
bluchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2004, 07:01 PM   #8
bluchez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul. 6th, 2004
Posts: 7
Is there a way to add a spotlight to the turret? I would like the turret to have a spotlight shine where it is pointed, is there any way to do that?
bluchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2004, 02:53 PM   #9
Screech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul. 11th, 2004
Posts: 109
well, there are lights on the car, i'm guessing you could use one of those... however, i'm not sure exactly how you would go about actually attaching it to the turret.....

Last edited by Screech; 19th Jul 2004 at 02:54 PM.
Screech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2004, 05:35 PM   #10
Jason[Demiurge]
Level Designer
 
Jason[Demiurge]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May. 12th, 2004
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluchez
Is there a way to add a spotlight to the turret? I would like the turret to have a spotlight shine where it is pointed, is there any way to do that?
Which turret? The Bertha Turrets? if so then you may have a few problems. First of all the bertha turret fires in an arc and spot lights shine in a straight line. Because of this you will have a hard time lining up the hit spot with the light. Ignoring that issue, you could try rigidly attaching a projector to the turret, but I have no idea if that will work. I suspect some amoune of code will be required to get that to work no matter what. It's an interesting idea though. good luck!
__________________
Jason Lentz
Level Designer
Demiurge Studios
www.demiurgestudios.com



Jason[Demiurge] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2004, 05:58 PM   #11
bluchez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul. 6th, 2004
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[Demiurge]
Which turret? The Bertha Turrets? if so then you may have a few problems. First of all the bertha turret fires in an arc and spot lights shine in a straight line. Because of this you will have a hard time lining up the hit spot with the light. Ignoring that issue, you could try rigidly attaching a projector to the turret, but I have no idea if that will work. I suspect some amoune of code will be required to get that to work no matter what. It's an interesting idea though. good luck!
Yeah, the Bertha Turrets. I wasn't concerned about the arc, because I was just going to follow the crosshair that is already there. It doesn't ensure that you are always going to hit where the light/crosshair is, but in many circumstances it is correct. I was going to give it a moderate radius as well, so that if it didn't hit center, you might still see the hit. Coding I'm not concerned about, if I knew the syntax ( tutorial? ). I'm a c++ programmer by trade, and write MUCH more complicated things than that on a daily basis, so it doesn't frighten me.
bluchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2004, 08:26 PM   #12
Jason[Demiurge]
Level Designer
 
Jason[Demiurge]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May. 12th, 2004
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 43
I prefer Movers to code (much to the chagrin of my fellow programmers).
__________________
Jason Lentz
Level Designer
Demiurge Studios
www.demiurgestudios.com



Jason[Demiurge] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2004, 01:22 AM   #13
Screech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul. 11th, 2004
Posts: 109
**bump**

I'm just kinda curious on how's it coming.......?
Screech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2004, 01:42 AM   #14
Dracarys
Oh Noes!
 
Dracarys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug. 21st, 2004
Posts: 60
*bump*

So am I!
Dracarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2004, 03:12 PM   #15
Screech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul. 11th, 2004
Posts: 109
it looks like this one fell through the cracks so to speak...
Screech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2004, 05:37 PM   #16
dchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug. 21st, 2004
Posts: 3
Mod idea

Screech's idea for a night map would be cool... however I agree with the Demi-urge guys that it would be nicer to see a totally new map.

How about a Clone Factory map... you could do some nifty things with warehouse buildings, lots of options like loading docks w/ ramps, and various industrial buildings & machinery.

Keep up the good work on Clone Bandits. It's now my favorite UT mod... I'm talking to my local cyber cafe about installing it there.
dchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Copyright ©1998 - 2012, BeyondUnreal, Inc.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Bandwidth provided by AtomicGamer