Suggestions: Terrain Flattening & Height Texturing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

purehybrid

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
Never really used much terrain in UEd 'till recently, and I've been finding that a few things ive wanted to do, have been missing. Simple tools, or additions to tools that I think would really speed up development of realistic terrain. Unfortunatly, I never write things down, lol, so I can only remember two things atm.

1) Terrain Flattening
Terrain Flattening, needs options to:
Flatten if Higher than (FiH),
Flatten if Lower than (FiL),
and Flatten Both higher or lower than the initial point (FB).

I think this could be worked into the basic UEd functionality, ie:
Left click = FiH.
Right click = FiL.
Both = FB
But a simple drop box to select would suffice.

I think this would prove very useful in setting initial contours for your terrain, thus creating much more realistic starting points.

2) Height/Altitude based Texturing
If anyone has used the farcry-sandbox editor, they will understand this concept.

Basically, it would be nice to select your texture in the terrain window, and specify a range in height values that you would like that texture to show. This of course would calculate which parts of the texture on your terrain are within those bounds, and adjust its alpha mask accordingly.

Possible Extra Features:
Visible representation of selected bounds via transparent colored planes, in perspective view.
Choice wether to replace the current alpha mask, or just add to it.

Thanks for your time, sorry for the long read, but I think these are things that would be very usefull. I notice you have focussed on BSP additions thus far, and I'm not sure whether your willing to dive head first into Terrain manipulation, but if you are, I hope I've given you a few ideas.

Cheers,

[FO]Purehybrid