Vechicles

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rooster128

L337 Reincarnated Wool Sock +5
Jul 1, 2004
I know it might be early in the game but... Vechs would be awesome to see in the game. Maybe like huge dropships you can pilot... and of course the normal buggy found in every game. Be creative, it would be nice to see some of that...

Things that hover turn me own. Wheels don't. Hehe.

FluXs

old skool
Feb 12, 2002
United Kingdom
vehicles...

We do have vehicles planned for the bigger maps, but it all depends on if they will be done for the first release.... humans have a buggy vehicle which is already ingame, just needs fixing, and for the alien vehicles; the theory so far is that they will hover :)

Rooster128

Jul 1, 2004
It would be cool if you did have a few floaty aliens. I'm thinking about eye stalkers from D&D... floaty balls with huge eye stalks coming from their head, and one huge eye on the ball itself, along with a mouth. Something like that would be neat.

The problem with hovering is that there are multiple ways to do it...

Halo Hovering (Ghost)

Ut2k4 Hovering (Manta)

Tribes Hovering (Turbogravs)

If any of you are familiar with Tribes, you know what I'm talking about. I think that would be the best idea for a hoverbike, but then again the physics to go into it would be crazy to do. Secondary fire, I'm thinking, just gives you an upward boost. I think thats how it goes. And the bike always adjusts to the terrain it's on. (Meaning that you can make it flip over if you try to horizontally run along steep terrain).

Rooster128

Jul 1, 2004
Directed to Absolute: I remember you saing that if we tried making vehicles for the humans, we'd have to make em for the aliens and it would be time-consuming. I think that since the aliens are invading from spaceships or whatever, that would count as their spaceships. Maybe story-wise they couldn't get their vehicles onto the ground because they didn't have enough time to before they would have blown to smitherines by the turrets. So they just let the aliens drop down in drop pods. And then maybe later we could add in alien vehicles, once Phase IV of the MSU contest happens. Or maybe we could wait untim MSU before we start working on all vehicles. Who knows...

DA|aBsOlUt

DA GOD
Oct 24, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
Rooster,

It can be done like this but it has to be balanced properly as well. If we allow vehicles for humans we need to think how they will interact with the game, their use and also make sure to avoid spamming of them.

I think for now we will have vehicles for extra effects and cut-scenes.

And as you said, later we can add them for use of both alien or humans.

Rooster128

Jul 1, 2004
Well I was kinda thinking about Pearl Harbor at the time, where Japanease = Aliens and Humans run around using offroad vehicles (in Pearl Harbor's case, Army Jeeps). Basically as a vehicle to get from point A to point B, maybe with a turret on the back that has limited Z-axis moving, and moves with the vehicle (vehicle goes downhill, turret for the most part is slanted downhill.

DA|aBsOlUt

DA GOD
Oct 24, 2001
www.planetunreal.com
People will always try to run down aliens and use them to attack...

We will see first we will finish aliens and some more code within this month and then pack up some stuff to see our result.

Rooster128

Jul 1, 2004
I have followed Jig's advice and I have made a concept for the 'hoverbike' idea I had, for a vehicle. Took about an hour only for 3 views, Front, Side, and Top, and there are a lot of eraser marks everywhere. But it gives a basic idea of what I had in mind.

When you first see it, you would swear it looks like a snowmobile. There are two mounted miniguns on the belly of it, which kinda look like skis. Your feet go on rear ends of the miniguns, and the accelerater and the brake are found on the rear of the minigun. Might as well show you instead of talk about it. The images will be up tomorrow.

The idea to keep this thing equal is that it hovers, not rolls. Therefore aliens can duck for cover and the bike will easily pass over them. Also, the bike will not be able to strafe, and will take skill to control (think of how the old Atari game, Asteroids is played; this is how it will move). When secondary fire is used while on the bike, the turbo thruster on the back will propel you up, giving you a slightly faster, upward momentum. This is good for scaling walls. It also helps while going down a hill and then heading up another. Applying the turbo thruster right before you start scaling up the second hill will cause you to maintain your momentum and even speed it up. Those who are familiar with the Tribes 2 hoverbike will be most familiar with the physics applied to the bike. And most will agree its most useful as a scouting bike, not really an assault vehicle.

Again, this vehicle is just an idea. The images will be out tomorrow, I hope.

Last edited:

Jig

#DA @ GameSurge
Feb 5, 2002
Veenendaal, Netherlands
www.wolla.nl
Hehe, I'm anxious to see your concepts. But have you thought about how it fits in the gameplay? Where will it spawn? Whats the purpose of the bike? Is it for attacking or also for transport? What if everything starts camping at the bike spawn to get it and then waste its use?

Rooster128

Jul 1, 2004
In my idea, Vehicles spawn at a vehicle pad. There is a terminal near this vehicle pad where you access a UI box that ask you what you want to spawn. The server can set how many of each vehicle each team can have, and this would also show up on the UI box. Vehicles that have already all been taken up will appear in grey lettering.

You select your vehicle, hit 'apply' and then your name will be added to a vehicle spawn queue. Once it's your vehicle's turn, then the vehicle will spawn at the vehicle pad (with some cool animation or particle effects) and you will instantly go inside it, and the vehicle will auto-drive out of the vehicle pad, and then your under control. And the vehicle can not be damaged during the auto-drive, so stupid TKers cannot try to knock out your vehicle before you have a say in which way it goes.

And just like in any game, if a teammate abuses a vehicle's use, you either 1.) deal with it. 2.) place a vote for a kick against him or 3.) kick his sorry behind.

Why can't human vehicles hover? No fair! ...Wait... do you have the authority to say this!?!?!

Last edited:

Eizo

DA Veteran Fan since 2000
Jun 26, 2004
Southampton, UK
www.larsenserver.co.uk
if u make aliens hover then it makes pretty stoopid the whole idea of the aliens 'invading' as they can just fly over everything.

also do put vehicles in the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont cut out on them completely, put them in even if its only for 1 side!!! THE FIRST CUT OF DA MUST HAVE VEHICLE/S IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rooster128

Jul 1, 2004
Oh Eizo, maybe you could model that hoverbike I have crappy concepts for! lol... here it is:

hoverbike_idea.jpg

kudos for my crappy drawing. But hopefully it give you a good idea. If you model it, feel free to fiddle around with the shape, but keep it enough to the original. Sorry about my drawing skills.

Anyway... yes... there are different forms of aliens hovering. First there is hovering like those big ball monsters in UT invasion that shoot fire. Those are easy to take out, they don't go fast. Then there is aliens using hovering or flying vehicles. Hovering wouldn't be that bad, since they hover close to the ground, and can only get big air for a short amount of time by laying on the turbo thrusters. Either way I dunno.

Last edited:

Eizo

DA Veteran Fan since 2000
Jun 26, 2004
Southampton, UK
www.larsenserver.co.uk
Rooster128 said:
Oh Eizo, maybe you could model that hoverbike I have crappy concepts for! lol... here it is:

hoverbike_idea.jpg

kudos for my crappy drawing. But hopefully it give you a good idea. If you model it, feel free to fiddle around with the shape, but keep it enough to the original. Sorry about my drawing skills.

Anyway... yes... there are different forms of aliens hovering. First there is hovering like those big ball monsters in UT invasion that shoot fire. Those are easy to take out, they don't go fast. Then there is aliens using hovering or flying vehicles. Hovering wouldn't be that bad, since they hover close to the ground, and can only get big air for a short amount of time by laying on the turbo thrusters. Either way I dunno.

image no load :(