Help Porting UT99 Maps to UT2k3/2k4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheZorch

Mike "TheZorch" Haney
Jun 16, 2004
Detroit, MI
zorchcentral.4t.com
I have a few maps made by mappers who aren't in the community anymore that I love alot and I would like to know how I can convert them over to UT2k3/2k4. I don't have UT2k4 yet....BAD ZORCH....BAD ZORCH...but I'm gonna correct that soon. Anyway, can anyone help me?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
That is no small project. I've been told that map making has evolved somewhat with the UT2004 version of UEd and that it's slightly more complicated to make maps. There might be a way of importing information from UT maps though.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
afraid export/import doesn't work correctly.
It works, but the brushes are scattered around. If it's a small, low detail map you may have a chance but importing a decent looking map is going to take ages lining up brushes and reordering them.
Then you have all the "normal" stuff to do.

Just make a new map, it'll take less than 1/8th of the time.

SylverFyre

Spongebob Squarepants
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.byut.net
save a copy of the map you want to export (just in case u mistakenly save an altered version) and then open the copy

select all brushes, right click and select transform permanently

right click the selected brushes and select copy

open UEd3 and select paste

thats it - now you have to retexture, light and botpath it (bear in mind you might want to rescale the map if its not for use with the UTClassic mutator)

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
Isn't there a modteam working on an "unreal tournament mod" for ut2004?
Including of course the classic ut maps?
There's no point in doing this. UT is great. UT2003-4 sucks. I have no intention of buying this piece of crap just 2 play UT which I already have.

SylverFyre

Spongebob Squarepants
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.byut.net
NeoNite said:
Isn't there a modteam working on an "unreal tournament mod" for ut2004?
Including of course the classic ut maps?

Its called Unreal Tournament Revolution and the forum is hosted here at BU.

Theres not many people currently working on it although I personally did get a ways through converting Coret for it.
The idea sprang from a post by Prophetus wanting too se what the differences were between UT and UT2k3 by remaking the former in the new engine, but with the graphics amped up to current levels. This was (and still is) a great idea but Im not sure that if/when anything comes out from this mod it will be any more than simply playing UT, with its graphics and maps in the new engine - which is a shame considering the whole point was for it too look much nicer

After all, before the 2k3 demo thats pretty much what most UT players were expecting/hoping for :)

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Glider of chaos said:
There's no point in doing this. UT is great. UT2003-4 sucks. I have no intention of buying this piece of crap just 2 play UT which I already have.

Just stick to UT and shutup then, because u don't like it there is no point in it? ah yeh, we all want what u want right? :rolleyes:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Well, it's only been out for 3 months ?
But seriously, I'm definitaly buying this game.
Though I also need to upgrade my rig :B It'll take some time before I'll be able to run that game at higher resolutions/high detail, but I can live with that...

Predcaliber

One Day I'l Beat Lauke
Jun 17, 2003
The Netherlands
www.predcaliber.com
I think 2k4 is better 2 than 2k3, Maby its just that the theme was UT remix :) (at least in the demo)
and the sniper is back just like skaarj :)

Did 45 minutes 2 download the demo, still played it 5 mins and then threw it away like 2k3.

The original game is 6 GB r something 2, I dont even have it right now ;)

TheZorch

Mike "TheZorch" Haney
Jun 16, 2004
Detroit, MI
zorchcentral.4t.com
Glider of chaos said:

Does this mean you don't have 2k3/2k4? If so you've missed a lot or you just don't like it because so much was changed in 2k3 as compared to UT. The graphics weren't the only thing that got a facelift in UT2k3/2k4, the interface was changed. I personally thing the original Mac OS inspired UT menu bar interface was the best. This way you could open a window to begin a off-line game with bots then jump to the configuration screen to change settings without having to go back and forth through the menus like you do now.

I think Epic changed the menu system in 2k3/2k4 to make it look more like Quake III in order to grab the attention of diehard Id Software fans. Why they saw this as important I don't know because Quake III was a POS compared to the original UT and all later versions despite it having better graphics than the original UT. Of course 2k3/2k4 kick Q3A's butt when it comes to graphics, and the Bots in UT have always been smarter than the Baka Bots in Q3A.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... i don't have UT2004...

BTW: Sniper Rifle is back... nerfed = crap
Skaarj are back... i play with Skaarj Hybrid model in UT (best rendition of Skaarj models YET)... Skaarj in UT2004 are crappy looking. More willing to call it Orc from LoTR than a Skaarj (even though UT's an hybrid between humans).

Of course UT2004 is better than UT (and UT2003 :/), but:
1. my computer doesn't run it optimal, so buying a game for crappy play FPS is no-no. Add to that that i don't have money to get a new computer like you all mommy-kids.
2. Even though i eager to put my hands at BR and DDOM (oh yeah, they have ONS and AS too... almost forgot :p), it's mainly UT and some ppl like me just can't feel that 'immediate' appeal to go get it. Especially with patches being released all time. DUh.
3. Until now, the single reason i could ever consider getting UT2004 is the absolutely awesome MODs being made for it. Not just great, they come by the dozens! In a way, UT2004 will live not because of what it is, but because of what MOD ppl in the community make for it.
Oh yes... CS lives... but HL doesn't...