Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > General Infiltration Discussion

View Poll Results: Should the scopes in INF be made easier to use?
Yes 24 38.71%
No 38 61.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th Jun 2004, 12:29 AM   #101
geogob
Koohii o nomimasu ka?

Location: replication{ reliable if( Role==ROLE_Authority ) Tick;}
Agreed... but not so engine-friendly in UT99...

Having the scope and seeing the whole background in a blur could be cool. A lot of thinking still needs to be done on this.

welcome on the forum btw

--
Intelligenti Pauca

--
Get RealTargets - INF_Loadlim - INF Mod Team addons
geogob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2004, 02:38 AM   #102
keihaswarrior
<P^R>

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogob
Agreed... but not so engine-friendly in UT99...

Having the scope and seeing the whole background in a blur could be cool. A lot of thinking still needs to be done on this.

welcome on the forum btw
I keep saying this, but perhaps not enough...

CHECK out Dukes XM8!!! The scope on it does what Death Touch is talking about quite well IMO. I wish all the scopes in INF behaved the way the one on the XM8 does (tho without the variable zoom in most cases obviously).

--------------========Fear the Spear=============>
Downloads:
Storm Trooper Camo
keihaswarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2004, 08:07 AM   #103
Derelan
Tracer Bullet

I don't mind the black background scope, but it should be transparent. If you look at the model in behindview, MrINFMan has both eyes open when the scope is not steadied, and closes one eye to steady the scope. When both eyes are open, the black background should be transparent gray.

Derelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2004, 02:16 PM   #104
Snake13
Sniper

that would be a cool effect

"To be prepared for war is the most effectual means of preserving peace."
-George Washington
Snake13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2004, 02:49 PM   #105
Derelan
Tracer Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake13
that would be a cool effect
and it would be a fesable solution for this old engine.
The problem is, it would be a translucent mask over a zoomed in view, as opposed to a translucent mask over a normal view, with the scope at ITS own zoom, as in normal live. Unfortunately, there is no way to combine two fields of view in UT.

Old 6th Jul 2004, 12:39 AM   #106
Cavalier889

[QUOTE=Hurin]Maybe add a bipod for sniper rifles which will be capable of stablizing your rifle on sufaces and making sniping eaisier but adding bulk?

I've always liked the bipod idea for games like this, but the problem with bipod bulk is distance. I carry a bipod 4 miles, and it is a problem. If I carry it on a short hunt, I don't even notice it. So how do we put that into the game? I like your thinking on this, but the engine may limit our reality.
Cavalier889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2004, 12:46 AM   #107
Cavalier889

[QUOTE=ecale3]I know this is kinda a Off-Topic, but the other day during a clan match i waited fifteen minutes before someone walked into my sights (i'm a sniper). It was the last kill of the round too.

Yep, there you have it. If you want to play a real sniper, you get a cup of java and wait. Very dull in game life, but in real life, you can save some real letters home. In any 'game' where the mission expects real sniper action, I'll wait for the bad guy. I very seldom see that situation in this (very good tactical) game.
Old 6th Jul 2004, 12:51 AM   #108
Cavalier889

Logan6,
I'm sorry, maybe you didn't notice my reply. Please feel free to post your views. I'm always looking for other peoples experiences.
Old 6th Jul 2004, 08:33 PM   #109
Cavalier889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier889
Logan6,
I'm sorry, maybe you didn't notice my reply. Please feel free to post your views. I'm always looking for other peoples experiences.
Sorry, rereading this useless post, I just remind myself that I should never drink and then respond in public forums. Please disreguard this foolish post. My apologies.

Last edited by Cavalier889; 6th Jul 2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 8th Jul 2004, 09:08 AM   #110
Logan6
TC Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier889
Sorry, rereading this useless post, I just remind myself that I should never drink and then respond in public forums. Please disreguard this foolish post. My apologies.
np cavalier, I can't remember what you posted, but I never had anything against you. Your welcome to your opinion too, I just hate people who attack with no arguement and just criticism. You don't seem to be one of those.

About the scopes, I understand better now how the programmers meant it to be. When first put up to the eye, the sniper is not concentrating on the crosshairs, he is just loosely looking through the scope, so yeah your going to get some bounce because he's not concentrating on any one target. From experience though, I think it should be toned down a bit. And if this is the way its going to be, then

1. Get rid of concentration as it is now.

2. As we concentrate on the scope, it should very very slightly start affecting stamina. Maybe there should be a seperate stamina for your arms (rifles can get heavy after a while). You would have to lower your rifle to start regaining stamina in your arms.

3. The scope should not stand completely stock still all the time when concentrating. There should be some occasional tiny random movement of the scope from nervous twitch going from almost none at full stamina and getting more numerous as your stamina goes down.

4. Get rid of the paralax or whatever it is that causing the weird way off shots with the scopes. The bullet when fired should be aimed where the crosshairs are, minus arcing of the bullet, moa, etc.

As for the view around the scope, I know very people who shoot through a scope with both eyes open. With one eye closed, you can still see the normal area around the scope. Its never black.

Last edited by Logan6; 8th Jul 2004 at 09:10 AM.
Logan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2004, 09:52 AM   #111
Derelan
Tracer Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan6

As for the view around the scope, I know very people who shoot through a scope with both eyes open. With one eye closed, you can still see the normal area around the scope. Its never black.
which leads me to my above suggestion.

Old 8th Jul 2004, 04:41 PM   #112
Nukeproof
n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan6

1. Get rid of concentration as it is now.

2. As we concentrate on the scope, it should very very slightly start affecting stamina. Maybe there should be a seperate stamina for your arms (rifles can get heavy after a while). You would have to lower your rifle to start regaining stamina in your arms.

3. The scope should not stand completely stock still all the time when concentrating. There should be some occasional tiny random movement of the scope from nervous twitch going from almost none at full stamina and getting more numerous as your stamina goes down.

4. Get rid of the paralax or whatever it is that causing the weird way off shots with the scopes. The bullet when fired should be aimed where the crosshairs are, minus arcing of the bullet, moa, etc.

I agree with you. I have to admit that I have no RL experience but the paralaxe effect doesn't make really sense to me.

About the black area around the scope: Realistically you would have very blured vision of the environment when focusing through the scope. Since the engine isn't capable to do this black seems like a decent compromise to me.
Old 8th Jul 2004, 05:05 PM   #113
Derelan
Tracer Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeproof
I agree with you. I have to admit that I have no RL experience but the paralaxe effect doesn't make really sense to me.

About the black area around the scope: Realistically you would have very blured vision of the environment when focusing through the scope. Since the engine isn't capable to do this black seems like a decent compromise to me.
well in testing (taking my spotting scope off my telescope and mounting it on a piece of wood) my theory; when you keep both eyes open, the scope is clear and the remainder is dark. Since only RedOrchestra has managed to do this (sort of, they didn't make it dark, but they made seperate zoom levels), it suggests that UT2k4 is the only engine available. Unless we make the black transparent, but the whole view is zoomed.