Looking for a Model Exporting Tutorial...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Xada-Hgla

Outer God
Apr 11, 2004
Here's what I want to do... Using only UPL, UTX, and UKX files, I want to import completed player models back into UnrealEd. Why? Call me a visual learner I guess... ;) I guess the way that I thought about this idea was I was messing around with UnrealEd, and I found that I could load just the UKX files of different models, so that leads me to believe that there's a (relatively) simple way to do it.

Now, I did find a tutorial which unfortunately, is unfinished (Ok, I guess I haven't actually tried it to see if it's true. I only read through it, but the author claims it's unfinished, and I have no reason to disblieve him at this time...) So, can anyone here give me the rest of the story? Thanks in advance!

jack9911

Keyser Soze
Jul 11, 2002
BXL
www.unreal2zone.fr.st
-import mesh into animation browser
-import animation and set them to the mesh (you can use animations of an original model if you have respected the bone structure
-copy/past the mesh properties of an existing character
-save your package
-make an int and ucl file for your player (check out the existing ucl and int files)
-have fun with your brand new character

Xada-Hgla

Outer God
Apr 11, 2004
Well, after 10 days of trying to figure this out, I'm really no closer than where I started... :( Is there a relatively simple way to import completed models (including the skins) back into their original form (such as the original texture's bmp's, jpeg's, etc.)? Assume I know absolutely nothing about UnrealEd (Which really isn't too far from the literal truth... ;) ), so start with "Open UnrealEd", and finish with "Close UnrealEd") Again, thank you in advance for any help you can provide! :D

Last edited:

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
there's a couple of "art paths" (as they are called) for getting character models & animations into UEd, depending on what the modeling/animation software is. but there is NO way to backtrack that process -- the .ukx files can't be split up into their original components, then reimported from those parts. UED has no way to do this. here's why:

when a model is made, rigged and animated in a commercial app like Max or Maya, a plugin called ActorX is used to export two sets of data from the app -- a .psa file that records animation data, and a .psk file that records skeletal mesh/rig data. these two files are then imported into the Animations browser of UED and "digested" -- they are combined into a single binary file with the extender .ukx.

like food, once digested, a .ukx file can't be "un-digested" into its .psa/.psk components. in the Animations browser you can split off the animation set and the model mesh, but there's no way to export these as components -- they can just be manipulated in the browser.

so if i understand what you want to do, then you can't :(.

however, there are a few options starting with other software. Maya PLE doesn't use ActorX, but rather a special plugin that performs many of the same functions. it can export a character model to UEd and it will appear in the Animations Browser as a "pre-digested" .ukx file.

there's a modeling app called MilkShape 1.7 that can export .psa & .psk files, but i don't know how successfully they have been imported. might be worth a look -- the app isn't at all expensive.

the textures (skins) are stored in various .utx packages -- these can be exported in certain formats. check the Texture browser menus for those options.

hope this is of some help.

Last edited:

Xada-Hgla

Outer God
Apr 11, 2004
Well, that sucks...

Yup, that's exactly what I was trying to do (unfortunately... :( ). I guess I'll have to take a look at Milkshape. What's the name of the Maya PLE plugin? I guess I'll look into that as well, while I'm at it... :hmm:

Last edited:

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
the Maya PLE->UEd plugin is called unEditor.mll, and if you have UT2004 it can be installed when you install Maya 5 PLE, which comes with the game. look on CD6 (PlayDisk) of the CD set. not sure exactly where on the DVD edition it can be found, but it's there, too.

Xada-Hgla

Outer God
Apr 11, 2004
chip said:
the Maya PLE->UEd plugin is called unEditor.mll, and if you have UT2004 it can be installed when you install Maya 5 PLE, which comes with the game. look on CD6 (PlayDisk) of the CD set. not sure exactly where on the DVD edition it can be found, but it's there, too.

Oh, that one... Yeah, I've already installed it. I thought you were talking about another one being out there...