Need Help, Going Insane! U2 model into UT2k4, Please Help...Pretty Please??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sengoku

Apr 9, 2004
www.digitalunity.net
Hi, I am going quite mad!
As ive not got ut2k4 yet (waiting for amazon to get it to me) i might be missing something incredibly simple, so sorry if thats the case!
Im making player models for my clan to use in ut2k4 and remembered about the marines from unreal2. "Damn cool looking" i thought, "maybe ill convert them over" i thought.......The only version of unreal that i have at present is u2 so using unrealed that comes with it i have managed to export all the textures for all 3 different sized marines. Trouble is i have no idea how to export the models! What i assume to be the models has the file extension '.gem' ....never heard of that before!
Ive looked all over this forum for reference to gem files, tried the udn website, downloaded something called wotgreal but no joy.
As theres now multiplayer enabled for u2 i imagine that all models for that game are in gem format? or am i wrong?

If somebody could help me out on this or point me in the direction of a program thatd help id be very greatful.

Sen

Sengoku

Apr 9, 2004
www.digitalunity.net
Illegal!? But its the same franchise under the same publisher etc? There must be a way to get the models out? Do you know if u2 multiplayer models use the gem format?

Sen

Sengoku

Apr 9, 2004
www.digitalunity.net
Ok, theyre different developers...people have transferred over models from say, counterstrike to ut coz ive seen it done. Surely it cant be a legal matter? I guess its email time! Cheers for the input mate, anyone else have any ideas?

Sen

Last edited:

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Well when that guy made copies of Marvel characters he was politely asked by Marvels Lawyers to stop spreading them, hence thei non existence! Similar goings on occured with the star wars stuff! But i think arrangements were made!
I believe it's possible, but complicated and you'd have to remove things from the engine and reimport them via 3dsmax or so! But generally when these threads turn up it's shrugged off as a legal no no! I'm afraid!

Sengoku

Apr 9, 2004
www.digitalunity.net
Well, got a reply from epic...copyright infringement. Heh. Using unrealed i loaded a level from the sp game with the marines in and tried to change the marine mesh/brush into a static mesh so i could export it with that wotgreal into a 3ds file, but everytime i tried, unrealed crashed. Couldnt think of anything else.

Btw, how come wotgreal exports files into 10/50kb 3ds/3d files with nothing in them?

Sen