Best tool to make models ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
Since there is a lack of modelers for the cXp I figured I could learn how to model, so what is a better tool to do it with? And how could I transfer files once I've made the model over to the game -> XMP? Just wondering.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Well, depends what kind of models. Anyways, there are the two standard commercial products Maya or Max. I use Max personally, but they both are on equal grounds in terms of what you need here [relative low level polygon mesh making](And I'm not really wanting to start a Max vs Maya thread either). Else there is always programs like Blender and Milkshape. I have never used either, but I am sure there are a lot of tutorials around.

If you are making static meshes there are various ways to convert, but here is how I do it. Once the model is done and UV wrapped and Material defined, I then just export it to the ASE format. I then use UEd to import into Unreal.

If you are making skeletal meshes, I first finish the model with UV wrapping and Materials defined as well rig the character with Character Studio. I then use ActorX (Avaliable on the UDN website for both Max and Maya, various versions supported) to make the reference mesh (PSK) which contains the mesh and material information. Now if I made my own custom animations, I would use ActorX to process the animations and create my own (PSA) file. However, if I used an existing Epic defined skeleton (made by Character Studio) which my model is rigged to then I won't need to make a PSK, but rather assign the PSA to the PSK. That way, I get Epic's animations with my own player mesh. Another way to do that, is to just load the Character Studio animations made by Epic into Character Studio itself and then export a PSA.

That's the gist of it.

Thewiruz

Jun 10, 2001
Stockholm
thewiruz.blogg.se
Well im also a Max user ,You can always Download a Demo of Max 6 on www.discreet.com Or you have Maya PLE on both UT 2003 and UT 2004 cd,s i belive! well no thats not a smart thing to do :) Both Maya and Max is great programs,I belive Maya is harder to learn though but there is lots of more training resorces for Maya like Gnomon Videos and other tutorials out there.Also most of the movie makers uses Maya to create stunning effects like Spiderman,The hulk and lots more,Well they use Max also but mostly maya,I belive Final fantasy is made by Max ,I belive max is more used to creat games and acessories then eny other 3D effects program!Anyway they all are very completed like 3ds max,Maya,Lightwave,cinema 4D and so on,I have seen amazing renders with all programs,I belive there isnt any limits beside your own fantasy and nolange,Sorry my English spelling isnt good :)

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
Dead_Metal said:
Since there is a lack of modelers for the cXp I figured I could learn how to model, so what is a better tool to do it with? And how could I transfer files once I've made the model over to the game -> XMP? Just wondering.
i'm pretty sure MayaPLE won't work with XMP, just UT2K3/4 (depending on the version). MilkShape doesn't have an ASE export option afaik, so you'd need a second app like UltimateUnwrap3D to get its models into the XMP UEd. full Max & Maya can export directly to ASE but the require beaucoup bucks.

XMP can only import ASE format (a big limitation, imo), so check out the modeling app's export features to make sure it has a reasonable export path.