NewsUnrealEdFilesModsFragBULiandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Off Topic

Old 28th Mar 2004, 07:54 PM   #1
DFB
Creeping Death

Music recommendations please

Im looking to branch out a bit. Can anyone recommend me some music please?

If I were to say my favourite bands were Metallica, Guns N Roses, The Offspring, Bon Jovi, RATM, Millencolin and Hundred Reasons, what would you recommend that is kinda inline with that?

And also can anyone recommend any jazz? never really listened to it before, but id like to give it a go.

Thanks
Old 28th Mar 2004, 08:51 PM   #2
SanitysEdge
Aspiring Astrophysicist

Location: Belleville Michigan Avatar: "The Swiss are well armed and enjoy great freedom" - Machiavelli
Well, www.ocremix.org has remixed versions of old video game music, but thats mostly techno stuff. Its all free and legal there, so no 'we-sue-our-own-customers' type companys are going to mess with you.
Old 29th Mar 2004, 02:18 AM   #3
Balton
The Beast of Worship

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB

If I were to say my favourite bands were Metallica, Guns N Roses, The Offspring, Bon Jovi, RATM, Millencolin and Hundred Reasons, what would you recommend that is kinda inline with that?

And also can anyone recommend any jazz? never really listened to it before, but id like to give it a go.

Thanks
ok, looking at your favourite bands I'd say that there's no help for you but I won't give you up so quickly anyways

The Electronic Soft Parade british rock... with a bit psychedelia

Phantom Planet, accesible indie rock

Dashboard Confessional, mix between indie, alternative and emo rock. MTV picked them up recently(to my dismay) first heard soemthign about them from my gf so I'm a bit biased towards them

Echo & The Bunnymen, dream pop/ alternative rock. playing since the 70's. Got into them recently.

deerhoof - indie rock/experimental/noise , I'm especially digging their "Apple O" album. You like them or you dont... but if you like them you're surely having a weird taste (just now I'm listenign to "Heart Failure" from them... )

Papa M, formerly known as Aerial M(and some other a.k.a.'s) former band member of zwan(and much more other bands) Try to get ahold of his "Hole of burning Alms"

Franz Ferdinand - scottish indie rock band. the press was really digging their debut album. Usually when the press likes an album it sucks ( see: the strokes, the vines, the white stripes' last album), but Franz Ferdinand(I wonder why they use such a german name) are really good.

for Jazz, try to get the soundtrack to the anime Cowboy Bebop, lots of good jazz. Or get a best of album by Miles Davis and see if Jazz floats your boat(just dont get one of these awful jazz techno remix albums... how I'd like to shoot the person who came up with that idea)

btw. if you want to read more about these bands or other suggestions, this is the best music research site you'll find on the web. I really suggest you to do some reading there
http://www.allmusic.com/

"God made Hitler and Saddam!!! Not schnitzel and the bomb!!!"
- oosyxxx
Balton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2004, 05:33 AM   #4
Tapeworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB

If you like Metallica i suggest Testament, Machine Head (check out their latest album) and Arch Enemy. If you like them let me know and i can give you a more extensive list of bands to check out

If you like Guns N Roses i suggest you check out Velvet Revolver. This is basically Slash (ex GnR guitarist) and a few other ex GnR members with Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots. They've been getting rave reviews everyone i've looked so i'd say they're worth checking out (and you know it'll be good).

For a similar band to RATM i suggest Audioslave which is all members of Rage with a different singer (Chris Cornell from Soundgarden).

For bands like Offspring/Millencolin i suggest NOFX, Greenday, Bad Religion and Pennywise.

If you like emo (you noted Hundred Reasons) then maybe check out Thursday, Homegrown and Finch.

Hopefully that will help, those bands are all in the style of/similar to what you listed liking.
Old 29th Mar 2004, 05:40 AM   #5
Morgana
Amor e Morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeworm
......and Arch Enemy.
....and be sure to check out their leadsinger, Angela Gossow....forget Joan of Arc, *that's* the type of female I look up to
Old 29th Mar 2004, 06:09 AM   #6
Tapeworm

Yeah, if he digs Arch Enemy i'll mention Otep

I'd say Kittie too but uh... no.
Old 29th Mar 2004, 06:10 AM   #7
Hollowman

Funeral For A Friend (see avatar )

lostprophets

nuff said

Hollowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2004, 06:42 AM   #8
Lewis

and if he likes Arch Enemy, then try out Exodus
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2004, 08:41 AM   #9
mokeh
Ride for ruin

One band that you might like is Coheed and Cambria. I guess most people call them emo, but theres more to it than that and all the albums make part of a story
<chyst>Wow moke, you are really clever
<deepershade> moke you are a spot of light among the darkness of the world
mokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2004, 10:43 AM   #10
GeneticFreak
evolves and survives

Jazz...

For beginners you may start with Norah Jones, or Robbie Williams' album "swing when you're winning"

If you feel the need for more chillout, theres a wide range of artists with different jazz styles, like (i dont know what to call the genre, why think about genres anyway)

-Morcheeba: soft, electronic, and have that "future chillout" jazz
others in this chillout style are Moloko, Sade

-David Benoit: your high-class 5star hotel lobby/cafe jazz
basically most jazz you find in the stores are like this, including Dave Koz, Fourplay

-Louis Armstrong: what your parents call Jazz...
along with Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra

-Jamiroquai: (amazing if you never heard his style)
other acid jazzers are Incognito and The Brand New Heavies

theres probably alot more styles but thats all I know

just unban phil somehow
Every day, every minute, every second is a gift from God.
You've got to dance like nobody's watching, and love like it's never going to hurt.
GeneticFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2004, 10:53 AM   #11
Twisted Metal
Anfractuous Aluminum

Dream Theater.

Try the new album, Train of Thought. Heavy stuff.
Try the song "Endless Sacrifice" or if you want a shorter song and quicker download() try "As I Am".

Or, if you like girls having orgasms in the middle of songs download "Home" from the album "Scenes From a Memory".
Twisted Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2004, 11:46 AM   #12
DFB
Creeping Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Metal
Dream Theater.

Try the new album, Train of Thought. Heavy stuff.
Try the song "Endless Sacrifice" or if you want a shorter song and quicker download() try "As I Am".

Or, if you like girls having orgasms in the middle of songs download "Home" from the album "Scenes From a Memory".
Shorter song? its 8 minutes! But I like so far (nice solo)

Very much looking forward to Velvet Revolver, and ive had Audioslaves album for quite a while now, it rocks.

Can anyone recommend like a best of type album for louis armstrong or anything like that?
Old 29th Mar 2004, 11:52 AM   #13
Twisted Metal
Anfractuous Aluminum

lol it's progressive rock man it's common for songs to be ridiculously long. The rest of the songs on that CD are about 10-14 minutes apiece with some insane solos and instrumentals
Twisted Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2004, 11:54 AM   #14
das_ben
Concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balton
Echo & The Bunnymen
Undoubtedly one of the best bands ever. Additional brownie points for being mentioned in High Fidelity.
Old 29th Mar 2004, 12:52 PM   #15
spm1138
Irony Is

Echo & The Bunnymen are indeed "teh win". I hadn't heard them till I watched Donny Darko but I am now an addict. My favourite album so far is "Heaven Up Here".

Quote:
Morcheeba
See also: Spacek, Hefner (not the indie band)
Old 29th Mar 2004, 12:57 PM   #16
erehwoN
The Bass Ackwards BTL

Here are some others...

In Hoc Signo Vinces.
Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol.
AFA's Homepage :: New AFA Forums :: INF's Official IRC- irc.gamesurge.net #Infiltration
erehwoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2004, 10:44 AM   #17
Mxtrmntr
(Formerly known as Mxtrmntr)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB

Thanks
If you were to say that your favourite bands were Metallica, Guns N Roses, The Offspring, Bon Jovi, RATM, Millencolin and Hundred Reasons, I'd look at you weirdly and run away. Or so

Err, anyway, my infinite wisdom and far superior taste (, to avoid confusion) shall give you a few recommendations nontheless. I remember that some Mogwai fan once said that some of their songs sounded quite similar to Metallica without vocals. I can't really tell because I don't care for Metallica ( :P ) but Mogwai are wonderful. If you like them, similar groups include Explosions In The Sky, Mono, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, maybe also Sigur Rós, My Bloody Valentine, Bardo Pond...hmm. Or maybe Slint. Balton should have mentioned them (and Tortoise) when talking about David Pajo's (in other words, Papa M's) former bands, but instead he chose to mention the far inferior Zwan and shall be exposed to the last Limp Bizkit single for the next few days. Although, he shall be forgiven because he mentioned the first two words that appeared in my mind when reading your jazz question (i.e. "Miles" and "Davis"). Unfortunately, I know even less about jazz than I do about Metallica (even though I prefer it by, erm, miles... bad semi-unintentional pun, indeed.), so I won't be of any real help here either :P

(Btw, Balton: Franz Ferdinand was the heir to the Austrian throne who was shot in Sarajevo in 1914. His assassination was amongst the events that triggered (not caused, as some shallow weirdos tend to say) WW1.)
Mxtrmntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2004, 10:58 AM   #18
Fluid
Zen fascists will control you

If you like heavily political rock, try Dead Kennedys. (I especially like California Uber Alles, Holiday In Cambodia and Soup Is Good Food), other than that I like Nine Inch Nails and Dead On Arrival a lot.

Also, I might recommend Bauhaus a bit but it might not exactly fall within your taste criteria.

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov’d with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are as dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus:
Let no such man be trusted.
Fluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2004, 01:12 PM   #19
Balton
The Beast of Worship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxtrmntr
If you were to say that your favourite bands were Metallica, Guns N Roses, The Offspring, Bon Jovi, RATM, Millencolin and Hundred Reasons, I'd look at you weirdly and run away. Or so

Err, anyway, my infinite wisdom and far superior taste (, to avoid confusion) shall give you a few recommendations nontheless. I remember that some Mogwai fan once said that some of their songs sounded quite similar to Metallica without vocals. I can't really tell because I don't care for Metallica ( :P ) but Mogwai are wonderful. If you like them, similar groups include Explosions In The Sky, Mono, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, maybe also Sigur Rós, My Bloody Valentine, Bardo Pond...hmm. Or maybe Slint. Balton should have mentioned them (and Tortoise) when talking about David Pajo's (in other words, Papa M's) former bands, but instead he chose to mention the far inferior Zwan and shall be exposed to the last Limp Bizkit single for the next few days. Although, he shall be forgiven because he mentioned the first two words that appeared in my mind when reading your jazz question (i.e. "Miles" and "Davis"). Unfortunately, I know even less about jazz than I do about Metallica (even though I prefer it by, erm, miles... bad semi-unintentional pun, indeed.), so I won't be of any real help here either :P

(Btw, Balton: Franz Ferdinand was the heir to the Austrian throne who was shot in Sarajevo in 1914. His assassination was amongst the events that triggered (not caused, as some shallow weirdos tend to say) WW1.)
I was considerign to mention gybe, sigur ros etc. but then DFB likes metallica and guns'n roses so you cant shock him away from the wonderful world of real music. I suggest taking my post as phase 1 and mx' post as phase 2.

"God made Hitler and Saddam!!! Not schnitzel and the bomb!!!"
- oosyxxx
Balton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2004, 05:56 AM   #20
DFB
Creeping Death

And what is wrong with my taste in music??? Honestly...

anyway, thanks for suggestions, keep em coming, ill try and get as much of it as possible