Monsterhunt mayhem: The good, the bad and the ugly

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

the infamous mr_X

Apr 22, 2005
umm...i didn't mean that to sound derogatory.
well..there you go, he didn't need to attach a read-me with "you may not use this bird for other maps"
and whether or not some people accept it and some don't....it's still using someone's "hard work" without asking. whole map, half a map, custom pawns from a map...same thing.
AHH..forget it

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... it's more or less the community rules: you 'might' use some pawns and stuff (because that's usually accepted, unless there's a big paragraph in the README stating otherwise), but not make your own "version" of a map. See how there's so many Deck16 "remakes", or Torlan's?... Same thing here: no one likes ripping of maps - not the author that had the hard work, nor the good community that wants QUALITY *new* mappage...

... seeing our own map being raped by someone that didn't even asked at least, and releases a X or III version or whatever is serioulsy demotivating. There's a world of diference in had it asked first... besides... these people usually fail to comprehend that a converted map usually takes a lot more than changing the map prefix and a few triggers/monsters, or a new texture, and that's when it fits somehow into MH...

... i'm not bashing you or your atitudes specificaly, especially considering you already posted your willing to adhere to the "rules", but as an explanation of sort about this all...

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
the infamous mr_X said:
and whether or not some people accept it and some don't....it's still using someone's "hard work" without asking. whole map, half a map, custom pawns from a map...same thing.
AHH..forget it

Oh, the sweet sweet irony of this statement.

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
I played today a awesome map for MH called "Andromeda-Ancient" made by NR.2000

this map is really nice , competently build , with good gameplay . the only problem is one or two BT passage , but overall this map is awesome ! :eek:

we were a lot in the map , Chico , Spygirl , 3 , NR2000 , and many others , and it take us a while to complete it . the map is huge , and have lot of challenge .
NR2000 did a great job on this map ! ( it took him 1 year to build her ) ;)

if you guys can grab it from the Excalibur server or wait a little for the final version on Nalicity . unfortunatly , i forgot to take screenshot , my bad !!!! :(

Attachments

• andromeda.JPG
    andromeda.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 36

War_Master

May 27, 2005
Hi

Anything under the MyLevel package is acredited to the Level Info. In this case it was acredited to the map Rex and I remade. Pointing out the SecretBirdWeapon and the BlueAmp with a new UT default texture.

For those who like to correct others's mple grammatic mistakes, I don't write English well and didnt finish school either... besides is not my main language... Thanks!

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Derdak2rot, it looks awesome. It has the allures of a single player map, .. judging by that single screenshot so far.

Glad to see this thread is still going strong ^_^

Next month it will be the thread's 15th month birthday yay yay yaaaaaaaaay!!!

;O)

Icedancer

Colder than Steel
I played that map earlier today, it looked very nice :)

I guess this is the topic to do it, rather than start a new one, anyway, I've been thinking recently (a very bad idea, trust me) and I had an idea for a map. I'm not a mapper, sure I can map, and i can use UED, i know UED pretty well, but i never release anything I make, stuff i mess about with is just stuff I like to play myself.

Ok do any of you remember a dodgy quiz show called "The crystal maze" ? It was from the 80's or early 90's if memory serves, but its still shown loads on many of the satellite (or cable or whatever you americans call it :p ) channels.

Now, the show itself, was as best could be described... "dodgy" :D however, the set was great. It consisted of 5 zones, each with a different feel. I saw a few re-runs of it while I was ill a few weeks ago, and I thought, wow, that so has to be in UT! And i realised while catching up with old posts in this thread, that MH would be the perfect mod for it. MH certainly seems to have mappers capable of doing it! :)

Heres some info i grabbed from a site

a few words about the structure of the Maze - a huge,
custom-built set which was the largest in Europe. Firstly, it wasn't really a
maze at all - a better description might be: a circuit of four inter-connecting
play areas or "time zones". The four original zones were:

Aztec - A sand-covered floor flanked by ziggurats on either side and a totem pole.
Futuristic- A space station filled with neon lights and electronics.
Medieval - A castle with wooden timbers and stone carvings.
Industrial - A wasteland of dirty metal doors, disused oil barrels and security fences.
In later series, Industrial was replaced with Ocean - a sunken ship called the S. S. Atlantis

The site doesnt say anything about the central area, but it was a big dome, surrounded by water, with a metalic bridge which emerged out of the water once a button was pressed

maze%20map.jpg

Entering The Maze
•Aztec - Paddled two four-person canoes down a short "river".
•Ocean - Make your way down a ship's rigging (sodden, dripping scramble net).
•Medieval - Raise a portcullis, or climb over it.
•Future - Answer a scientific-themed question posed by the computer.

Moving between zones
As a linking device between the zones, there was a short obstacle course.
•Aztec to Industrial/Ocean - Crawl through a tunnel. (duckzone maybe?)
•Industrial/Ocean to Medieval - Climb up a ladder and crawl through a hatch.
•Medieval to Futuristic - Cross a log over a swamp.
•Future to Aztec - Go up in a lift, then climb down the face of a stepped, steep wall.

Aztec Zone
aztekn.jpg

Futuristic
futuren.jpg

Medieval
medievn.jpg

Ocean
ocean.jpg

Crystal Dome
cdomeo.jpg

Heres some actual pics

river.jpg

aztecgroup.jpg

neilhammer.jpg

aztecleave.jpg

swim.jpg

7lit.jpg

And heres the theme tune for the show for anyone that wants to listen to it :p
http://www.boblishman.freeserve.co.uk/tcmstereo.mp3

Gotta love the power of google and all these people that make websites :lol:

I think it would make a great idea for a MH map :)

Ice

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
Ice-Dancer , remind me a CTFM map i had made before with four different environements where i used the multiskybox script .

sure its a good idea , good find Ice-Dancer ! ;)

Mr.X : download the map from the Excalibur server ! its about 15 or 16 megas

Last edited:

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
Oh , youre right , sorry for that ! well , i saw you put some creature factory which pawned +20 monsters , its a lot ! Hehe !
anyway , you forgot to change the mapname in "Level properties - LevelInfo" , thats the map name displayed in the server browser .
not really a conversion imo , just an update for your server , but no problem . its good you asked me !

For Andromeda , i asked NR2000 for uploading the map on Nalicity . He said he want to test and fix the map before submit it . its currently the version 1.0 on the server .

here the Excalibur IP : 62.105.225.52:7070

the infamous mr_X

Apr 22, 2005
yes...but if you come to my server...20 monsters isn't much.
if you are a good player...all the maps you know can be completed without a single death on my server. that's why i got the idea to make alterations in the first place.
the only map i have had trouble with so far is "ruins stairs". the guy who made this was really thinking utj.

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
Yep , Ruins-Stairs is a nightmare , all the monsters are really hard to kill , like those hellish pupae that have 20000 health and give instant kills when you touch them , lol !
i know the author , its Crazy_Cow , i meet him on MH servers sometimes . he's an experienced Mh player . thats why the map is hard , i saw him die once only in this map , and did the best score . damm , im really a bad player , Hehe !

the infamous mr_X

Apr 22, 2005
na...you are just used to something different.
why don't you come to my server?
it's quite versatile.
you can play no mods..like regular mh..or play it heavily modded and just kick the sh** out of the enemy. it's a nice change.
i am thinking that it might inspire you to create something new.
anyHOO.....it's 69.12.73.209
all are welcome.
and if you hava a crappy connection, email me and i'll send you the files you need.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Derdak2rot said:
Yep , Ruins-Stairs is a nightmare , all the monsters are really hard to kill , like those hellish pupae that have 20000 health and give instant kills when you touch them , lol !
i know the author , its Crazy_Cow , i meet him on MH servers sometimes . he's an experienced Mh player . thats why the map is hard , i saw him die once only in this map , and did the best score . damm , im really a bad player , Hehe !

Pupae thing sounds retarded. Where's the fun in that...
Hey, give me the pupae invasion on UTLNP7 anyday over stuff like that. Although there are 80.000 pupae, at least it's fun to kill them.

Or the mini monsters and quadtrooper..

Experienced... maybe. But it's hardly a surprise he dies "once" on his own map, isn't it.

And eh, won't nr. 2000 consider uploading that map to nalicity?
15 mb 0_° I'm not downloading that from a server.
(Though, compressed how much is it really. STILL it'd be a good idea to upload it to a map site)

Icedancer

Colder than Steel
Has anyone heard about the I4Games thing? They have been ripping BT maps and supposedly "fixing" errors, while also slapping i4Games textures throughout the map, and now they are doing it with some MH maps too! :mad:

I think Skillz from planetmonsterhunt is trying to organize some sort of resistance...well...may the force be with you, mappers :D

Ice

the infamous mr_X

Apr 22, 2005
na...it's a pretty good map with a full server.(ruins stairs i mean)
NeoNite said:
Pupae thing sounds retarded. Where's the fun in that...
Hey, give me the pupae invasion on UTLNP7 anyday over stuff like that. Although there are 80.000 pupae, at least it's fun to kill them.

Or the mini monsters and quadtrooper..

Experienced... maybe. But it's hardly a surprise he dies "once" on his own map, isn't it.

And eh, won't nr. 2000 consider uploading that map to nalicity?
15 mb 0_° I'm not downloading that from a server.
(Though, compressed how much is it really. STILL it'd be a good idea to upload it to a map site)

Last edited: