INF 2.9 Game runs way too fast

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

huttemannw

Dec 3, 2001
Macungie, PA
Visit site
This is going to sound strange, as most posts about game speed deal with slow speeds.

However, I've just purchased an eMachines M6807 laptop with the AMD 64 Mobile 3000+ processor, 512MB RAM and a 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9600.

When I play 2.9, it's as if the game is running at 2x speed. Everything is too fast. I have not received any errors, had any graphic anomalies, or any problems in general - just runs too fast. During online play, if I am running the server, the game seems to run at 2x. The players that connect to me are moving at normal speed, but the game and bots are fast. If I connect to a server, I seem to move intermittently and have trouble shooting. It's wierd.

I installed Quake III to see if it did the same thing, but it runs great. I ran regular UT to see if it was affected, and it was running fast also. I uninstalled INF and UT, and reinstalled UT only. UT ran normally the second time. I then reinstalled INF 2.9, and it ran too fast again. I ran UT again, and it, too, was running ultra fast again. So, obviously, INF is doing something.

I switched to the OpenGL driver (from D3D) and ran UT. UT ran fine. I then ran INF again. It ran too fast, as did UT when I ran it a second time. I switched to Dohnal's 2.5 OpenGL driver and the same thing happened.

I thought at first that it was my new laptop causing the problem, but it appears that since UT ran fine without INF installed, it's not the laptop.

Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
i've read about this problem before. right here in troubleshooting iirc.
had something todo with laptop speed when installing ..

anyway, not much help but at least you know you can search for the answer cause its here somewhere.

good luck

huttemannw

Dec 3, 2001
Macungie, PA
Visit site
Thanks for everybody's response, but Derelan's suggestion worked. I didn't know that console command existed, but it did the trick. slomo 0.5 was the magic number.

Now, to figure out why it is acting that way . . .

Thanks for all of the help.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
all that's doing is making UT run at half the speed. That might not be the actual speed it should be at though, perhaps 0.4 or 0.6? 1.0 is normal, on everybody's computer but yours apparently, so regard this as a temporary fix until a real one is found.

Fat Marrow

Vegetable
Feb 27, 2002
London
discord.gg
I believe that the problem relates to variable CPU clock speeds on laptops (a standard power saving measure); when UT runs, it tests the CPU clock speed and calibrates everything else accordingly. Then, when UT is running properly, the CPU clock speed is cranked up to deal with the load (or something like that), and so the calibration fails.

Halving the game speed works offline, but not online -- you'll get continuous 'snap back' as the server updates the client with the correct information, and other unpleasant artifacts.

I'm not aware of a specific fix though, apart from (speculatively) (a) turning off some of the power saving stuff, possibly in the BIOS menu (turn off APIC or something?), and/or (b) making the laptop do something CPU intensive before and during the UT startup. (a) at least is clearly undesirable in the long run...

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Yes... laptop use variable speed for the CPU. That's what intel speed step does. But I have a laptop and I don't have any problems running INF or UT (nor any other games) even when the speed is moving around. Usually it's at 1.2 GHz, but even when it drops to 600 Mhz, UT doesn't run half the speed.

For the record, when you installed UT, where you connected with external power or on the battery?

Speed step (I know you don't have an intel) can slow the CPU running on battery (extended battery life mode). I always recommend to set speed step to the "Maximum Performance" profile when dealing with games (play and install). By default this is not the case.

So, since you don't have and Intel cpu, it sure is different. But I have to guess that AMP cpu have a similar speed stepping technology for their mobile solutions (or you made a pretty crappy laptop choice if not). Check AMD web site for some controle panel or module for power mangement options.

Finally, go to the system folder of your unreal tournament installation. There *should* be a file called "detected.log" (maybe ut must be running,... i'm not sure about that right now). Check it for any irregularities same goes for "infiltration.log" and "unrealtournament.log".

For exemple, in my "detected.log" if find these lines:

geo's detected stuff said:
Init: CPU Speed=1198.965168 MHz
Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=1
Init: CPU Detected: PentiumPro-class processor (GenuineIntel)
Init: CPU Features: CMov FPU RDTSC PAE MMX KNI

Check that the speed is the right one.

FatM... I find no recored ANYWHERE of the cpu speed in ut settings. do you mean at that it is calibrated at the load detection?

If FatM is right about this (and think all this over, I have to say that he might be indeed) you'll have to find AMD's implementation of the Intel speed step applet (or what ever they use to control the CPU speed) and make sure it runs at maximum performance before you even launch UT. It probably has profiles like the intel thing has.

Good luck

Fat Marrow

Vegetable
Feb 27, 2002
London
discord.gg
geogob said:
FatM... I find no recored ANYWHERE of the cpu speed in ut settings. do you mean at that it is calibrated at the load detection?

So far as I understand it, the measurement of CPU speed and the associated calibration (or similar process) is a purely internal process in UT, invisible to the user.

Unfortunately I only worked out what might be the problem after the opportunity to fix it had gone (wasn't my laptop :) ).

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
My brother had the same problem on his laptop and yes he was also faster on LAN.
I can not remember the setting which should solve this problem (it did not work on the pc of my brother, because he did not change the setting that the MHz should not change .. uhm yes), but I think it was cpuspeed. Go to the properties of the file which links to ut.exe, what you get is this e.g. "F:\UT\System\Infiltration.exe entry.unr INI=Infiltration.ini USERINI=InfiltrationUser.ini" now you add -cpuspeed=2500 (maybe without "-").

bla bla bla searched now on UT-Forums --> http://www.ataricommunity.com/forum...=1265871&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Grim_Reaper ~UFS~

You're all gay and stupid.
Aug 1, 2002
coolgamer1.50megs.com
set your connection speed to what it really is in real life. i had a problem where people would keep moving and then all of a sudden die after i shot them and other weird errors but i set my network speed from defualt 28k to lan and it ran fine.

Ross MacGregor

AKA Dirk-(IF)
Aug 3, 2001
Vancouver BC Canada
Visit site
huttemannw said:
This is going to sound strange, as most posts about game speed deal with slow speeds.

However, I've just purchased an eMachines M6807 laptop with the AMD 64 Mobile 3000+ processor, 512MB RAM and a 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9600.

I had the same problem with an Athlon 64 3000+ desktop system. Here is the solution I just posted to the Nascar forum:

---------------------

I fixed it! This problem was also happening intermitantly in other games too.

The Cool & Quiet system is part of problem. Some games including Nascar do a CPU test to determine the speed of your CPU when the program starts to optimize the graphics engine. The processor may be running idle at 800mhz when it does the CPU test. So when the game starts, the CPU gets cranked up to 2000+ Mhz and voila you have a double speed game.

One solution is to disable Cool & Quiet on your system. This is not an option for me, I like it far too much. I simple software switch would be nice, but I haven't seen one of those yet.

Another solution is to load your system while the game starts up. I found this little program BurnMax that fits the bill perfectly. There are many other CPU burning tools that will work too. You just run BurnMax set it to run for 1 minuit then start it. Then run Nascar. Works like a charm.

You can get BurnMax here:

http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_cpu.html

http://www.cpuid.dk/

Fat Marrow

Vegetable
Feb 27, 2002
London
discord.gg
Uh, ok -- the above CPUSPEED thing doesn't work for infiltration because the initial quick load menu eats up any command line parameters. Does anyone know how to get the quick menu to load infiltration with a given command line parameter?

Fat Marrow

Vegetable
Feb 27, 2002
London
discord.gg
Crowze said:
Don't use the quick launch menu. To be honest, there's not much point once you've got everything set up how you want it.

True, although unfortunately I seemed to get a completely different (but still configurable) set of options when I bypassed the quick launch... not a problem though.