News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > Mapping

Old 3rd Mar 2004, 01:53 PM   #1
Thewiruz

Edit... poly or mesh in MAX?

Hi im trying to make a cave in Max wich i will import in Ued.The problem is that i need to get a random look wich isnt the easyes part i belive.Anyway im not sure if edit Poly is the best way to do a cave for a game? Can someone please give me some tip :/ tnx!
Thewiruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2004, 02:12 PM   #2
Hourences

edit poly is better for modelling things because it has more tools, its more powerful
for unreal it doesnt matter anyway, because at the moment you export and import it in ued it will get auto triangulated anyway
thats the only real different with an edit mesh, edit mesh makes every polgone a triangle, with an edit poly you can have any shape, but that difference will disappear on export
mostly i start in edit poly, and by the time im done i convert to mesh so i can check if he triangulated it all correct and to see the true polycount
Old 3rd Mar 2004, 03:23 PM   #3
Thewiruz

ok thanks Hourences ! can you give me some advice how i can make an Underground cavemesh ? im trying by doing it with 1 plane object and then extrude it in edge mode 1 by 1 ,Its going to take Lots of time to get 7000 polys wich will be my limit for the basic mesh ,Or is that the only way to creat an underground cavern?What Polylimit shuld i stick to?and last ,is there a way to get a unregular shape of the walls i will be creating?Shuld i make it by hand or any plugin like Noise,Bend 4*4box ?Im a noob with lowpoly vs max,i have only been doing Highpoly meshes with Max like Cars,characters and such stuff buy no caves and cliffs in Lowpoly Well i have been doing levels for 3 years now but thats with the older editor (Ued2.0) and i did everything inside the editor ,Thanks M8!!
Old 3rd Mar 2004, 04:24 PM   #4
Hourences

you know, i wrote a complete tutorial just for this purpose
tho you make a good point about the polycount because i doubt if i included that in my cave tut
it depends on the size of your map, small maps and medium maps, like for 8 players or so, could easily be done with about 8000-15000 poly, thats still doable
you can also cut up your entire cave once its done, and divide it in to parts, and then place all parts on the right place in ued, this way you can clip away certain parts of your cave and thus lowering the polycount

http://www.planetunreal.com/phalanx/...orial_sae2.htm

too many modifiers is like too many effects in photoshop, its lame and will always look fake
manual = maximum control
manual = god
Old 3rd Mar 2004, 05:00 PM   #5
Thewiruz

Damn that tutorial rocks!Good job there!!!!! More of thoose plz Anyway im going to read that tutorial now !Thanks a million! Let us know if you have more of thoose!Becuse i have only used Max for High poly stuff as i said before and know damn to little aboute Low polymodelling ,Have read the book (Modeling a character in 3ds max) and thats all i know aboute low poly Anyway a big THANKS!cheers
Old 3rd Mar 2004, 05:58 PM   #6
Hourences

i got like 10 tuts in total but this is the only one that has to do with max and modelling, the others are more about mapping in general, what to do, and what not to do etc, tips tricks etc
Old 11th Mar 2004, 08:44 AM   #7
mrcamper99

polys

Last edited by mrcamper99; 11th Mar 2004 at 08:47 AM.
mrcamper99 is offline   Reply With Quote