News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004

Old 24th Feb 2004, 07:05 PM   #1
Capt.Toilet
Good news everyone!

Anyone notice a bunch of zeros lately

Of course im talking about the server list for the 2k4 demo. Either the majority of the players have grown bored with the thing, or they have all moved on to onslaught. I spend most of the time in assault and i tell ya i seen 6 servers in a row with no one in them. Maybe i just caught the bad time of the day or something.
Capt.Toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2004, 07:08 PM   #2
Juguard
The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!

well, when UT2004 came out, a lot of people tried it, even those who hate the Unreal world. So for a week or so, you would see every server crouded. Some I guess just got bored, or dont have time.

I can guess, that when UT2004 final is out, it will be much, much more popular than the Demo.
Old 24th Feb 2004, 11:03 PM   #3
hyrulian
Rainbow Brite

There always seem to be people on the {pdX} servers that Pineconeboy posted.
Old 24th Feb 2004, 11:07 PM   #4
Saito
Banned

Meh I tried assault after it first came out just to see what it was like, after I got the feeling of it, I realize it didn't have LG, IG, or the xloc and I stopped ;P

But yeah your right, in all honesty only the ONS servers seem full, and the few haxored insta gib servers. I guess people just really are enjoying the vehicles

Repeating the same opinion over and over again, will not make it a fact.

If you will only listen to opinions that enforce your own, than there is no point in voicing yours to begin with.

Last edited by Saito; 25th Feb 2004 at 12:01 AM.
Saito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2004, 12:18 AM   #5
Major-Lee-High
Im a ranter, ignore me!

Assualt is just as good as it was in ut99 and will die the same way most likely....

Its only fun a few times per map usually... after everyone gets good the games actually get lame instead of better.

I cant wait to try the other 5 maps, which is a disapointment... i was hoping for like 15 maps or something, but with just 5 it will die faster.

Someone needs to start planning a AS-CB with atleast 5 - 10 more :O
Major-Lee-High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2004, 12:35 AM   #6
hyrulian
Rainbow Brite

The UT99 Assault scene still seems quite alive. On the unreal://utassault.thegamebox.net server, there's always people there playing the six built-in Assault maps over and over. I think the fun is in trying to attack the base in a faster time and figuring out little tricks to help get past the defenders more easily. There's also quite a few good custom Assault maps floating around out there as well...
Old 25th Feb 2004, 01:16 AM   #7
Major-Lee-High
Im a ranter, ignore me!

Yeah i remember playing some really cool user as-maps for ut99, but even they got old fast.

Im sure there will be enough people playing to find games, but i doubt there will be more than most of the other gametypes.
Old 25th Feb 2004, 01:28 AM   #8
hal
Dictator

Well, it's tough playing a one map rotation for very long no matter how good it is. I would imagine that a lot of people have tried it, got tired of the one map and are waiting for the full game.

Look at this article breaking down the demo by gametype and the numbers of people playing the game.

Good read http://www.csports.net/index.aspx?p=News&story=181
Old 25th Feb 2004, 01:30 AM   #9
Juguard
The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major-Lee-High
Assualt is just as good as it was in ut99 and will die the same way most likely....

Its only fun a few times per map usually... after everyone gets good the games actually get lame instead of better.

I cant wait to try the other 5 maps, which is a disapointment... i was hoping for like 15 maps or something, but with just 5 it will die faster.

Someone needs to start planning a AS-CB with atleast 5 - 10 more :O
5 maps for ONS is not much, but the community will make more, and thats always a good thing. Some of the maps the community make, become classics in no time, and sometime, those are the most coolest maps.

I learned a lesson from UT days. Always save the maps you love to play, cuz now I dont have any form UT, since I deleted them, not thinking I wont remember the names of them. .. some of them I still remember, but some, are just lost. Hopefully I'll run across them someday. And I hope the authors make them for UT2004.
Old 25th Feb 2004, 01:39 AM   #10
Major-Lee-High
Im a ranter, ignore me!

Yeah there were a few ut as-maps i wanted to go back and get and couldnt never find

I think my thing with as is that its just to linear, there isnt really many ways to play it, and after everyone gets good it gets to easy to attack or defend on certain maps. A good team on convoy wont even let you get the first obj.... Its pretty easy to do and pretty hard to fight against too.
Old 25th Feb 2004, 02:41 AM   #11
Bonzo_Dog

Assaults

the same thing could happen, in UT alot of assault maps are over very quickly now,because of (tricks or Cheat Aliases &keybinds)they are very skill full at using these MaxHammer Jumps even doing doubles &trebles,but in a way it has ruined the concept of Assault Maps.
With 2k4 i can see it going down hill, the game play is wrong totally wrong compared with UT,albeit that the vechiles and voice coms might just pull it through, if you browse these forums ,there are some guys trying to Convert UT into the UT2K3/4 Engine, way to go.
Old 25th Feb 2004, 06:17 AM   #12
Capt.Toilet
Good news everyone!

That article sure did break it down, thanks Hal. I knew onslaught was the biggy here, but i didnt think it would be that big. And by god Assault better not die down like it did in UT, im looking forward to AS-Mothership.
Capt.Toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2004, 06:49 AM   #13
hal
Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major-Lee-High

Other 5? Where'd you get that idea? There are 10 ONS maps.

ONS-Torlan
ONS-Layn
ONS-CrossFire
ONS-Arctic Stronghold
ONS-Severance
ONS-Dria
ONS-Redplanet
ONS-Dawn
ONS-Frostbite
ONS-Primeval
Old 25th Feb 2004, 07:17 AM   #14
Mr. Scary
Speedemupus-Guitarist-Shreddish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrulian Hero
There always seem to be people on the {pdX} servers that Pineconeboy posted.
Ah yes, I've played their server in BF1942. Very top notch server along with their admins.
Mr. Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2004, 12:55 PM   #15
TaoPaiPai
Commisaire Van Loc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Toilet.exe
That article sure did break it down, thanks Hal. I knew onslaught was the biggy here, but i didnt think it would be that big. And by god Assault better not die down like it did in UT, im looking forward to AS-Mothership.
Don't worry the assault community will grow at least as strong as the UT99 one.It's just a little boring to play the same map over and over during 2 weeks.With multiple maps it will be much better.But 5 is al ittle cheap though.
And assault seems to be a little difficult to map for so I won't expect custom maps before a while (except the crappy ones)

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed also to see Onslaught becoming the CS of UT2k4,with all the people going "OMG VEHICALS LOL".At least it will bring a new audience to the game,that's already a good thing.
The assault players are generally more serious and dedicated while ONS will attract the mass.

OMG GAMETYPE WARS LOL
TaoPaiPai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2004, 01:15 PM   #16
hal
Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoPaiPai
But 5 is a little cheap though.
And assault seems to be a little difficult to map for so I won't expect custom maps before a while (except the crappy ones)
6 AS maps

AS-Mothership
AS-Convoy
AS-FallenCity
AS-RobotFactory
AS-Junkyard
AS-Glacier

Hopefully some of the guys like Willhaven, who did some unbelievable UT AS maps will be interested in doing one or two more for everyone.
Old 25th Feb 2004, 01:17 PM   #17
Saito
Banned

Well if ONS grabs more people to the franchise thats not a totaly bad thing.

Repeating the same opinion over and over again, will not make it a fact.

If you will only listen to opinions that enforce your own, than there is no point in voicing yours to begin with.
Saito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2004, 01:30 PM   #18
smattbac
Flak Monkey

Community maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juguard
5 maps for ONS is not much, but the community will make more, and thats always a good thing. Some of the maps the community make, become classics in no time, and sometime, those are the most coolest maps.
It'll be interesting to see if there will be more community maps for ONS as it seems to be quite popular, than for example BR in UT2003.

But I still think that for every ONS or AS map released, there will be 10 DM maps released... Skilled mappers should really take the time and make some maps for other gametypes too, even if it takes longer.
Old 25th Feb 2004, 01:35 PM   #19
hal
Dictator

smattbac, there are not 5 ONS maps, there are 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal
Other 5? Where'd you get that idea? There are 10 ONS maps.

ONS-Torlan
ONS-Layn
ONS-CrossFire
ONS-Arctic Stronghold
ONS-Severance
ONS-Dria
ONS-Redplanet
ONS-Dawn
ONS-Frostbite
ONS-Primeval
I think that there will be plenty of ONS maps as they are probably going to be among the easiest to map for. Lots of terrain, some meshes, and a skybox.
Old 25th Feb 2004, 02:00 PM   #20
smattbac
Flak Monkey

Was I saying that it was only 5? I read you the first time.

Quote:
I think that there will be plenty of ONS maps as they are probably going to be among the easiest to map for. Lots of terrain, some meshes, and a skybox.
Mappers don't just shape the levels, they shape the gameplay too. And that takes time, it you really want to get it right. I think. Or mappers just get lucky. What would I know, it's not like I've made a lot of non DM maps..