Custom maps from 2k3 -> 2k4 - a suggestion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

scirmast

Oct 20, 2002
Finland
Visit site
As we all know, UT2k4 looms in the horizon. And as we (well not all) know, most of the custom maps won't be compatible as they are. So, what if everyone releases a 2k4 versions of their ut2k3 maps, but improves them based on user comments and/or reviews. Well, if the layout is totally bad, it may be impossible to make a decent map out of it, even if major improvements are done. However, all those maps that have scored 5-8/10, could very well be improved.

The consequences if this would be done:

1. Better maps for the community!

2. Player wouldn't have to convert other peoples maps to work in ut2k4.

3. Custom maps could be played more (at least in theory).

So, if anyone has the time and is willing to do this, please do! Everyone will benefit.

Ictus

Just Eggs
May 30, 2001
Raliegh, NC
www.worstkind.com
I think that's a great idea! It's a perfect chance to polish stuff up without having to worry about multiple versions floating around.

I would be more than happy to help people asses their maps and figure out how to imporve em. Maybe we can bring back the NC map forums, eh? That would be sweet. These forums were the first place I ever got feedback on a map, there used to be so many talented people posting feedback constantly but mappers seem to have migrated away :(

COme back!

Last edited:

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
I'm still here, it's just that 99% of the stuff that is posted on the map forums is mediocre stuff. It's not that I don't want to give feedback to novice mappers, it's just it gets boring saying the same stuff over and over again "lighting needs more contrast, area x is too bland needs more architecture etc. etc."

Mxtrmntr

(Formerly known as Mxtrmntr)
Nov 3, 2001
The Island of the Day Before
Visit site
scirmast said:
As we all know, UT2k4 looms in the horizon. And as we (well not all) know, most of the custom maps won't be compatible as they are.

Uh, I wasn't aware of that, I knew the games weren't compatible when it comes to multiplayer mode, but I thought it would be possible to play UT2k3 maps with UT2k4... I guess I should have read more previews :hmm:

scirmast

Oct 20, 2002
Finland
Visit site
Well, you are able to play them, but you just need to go into the editor and press save. That way the map will be converted, but I stil don't like the idea that people will touch soemone elses maps.

atlantiss

Lunatic
Mar 27, 2004
Stockport
scirmast said:
Well, you are able to play them, but you just need to go into the editor and press save. That way the map will be converted, but I stil don't like the idea that people will touch soemone elses maps.
I've not needed to open the map in the editor and jab save. All are working fine for me.

scirmast

Oct 20, 2002
Finland
Visit site
You may not need to do it to all maps. I grabbed this info from and official forum post by Epic at Atari community forums. I'll try to play some maps myself. Good thing if the maps are compatible without editor hassling though.

I'll propably make another post of this to the BU mapping foum, because this does not seem to catch enouch attention.