Text-to-speech

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Slartoff

Death delights me. Slartoff!
Nov 1, 2003
NH
I'm running the demo on Win2k. The text-to-speech feature isn't working for me. I've tried toggling the option for it in the menu, looked through the .ini's, but with no luck. Any ideas?

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I'm interested in this too, I'm running the same setup with the same problem. I also can't use voice command (I'm not sure it's even in the demo.)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
you have to have it installed in windows afaik. It uses the windows t2s voice.

phantom44

Carpe Noctem
Jun 30, 2002
minnesota
Yeah, text-to-speech doesn't seem to be working for me either... at first I thought I was probably just too stupid to figure it out but now I'm not so sure since you guys are having problems with it too... :p And yeah, I'm on Win2k.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
on Windows 2000 you have to actually install the Windows stuff for Text-to-Speech services yourself. In XP it installs by default.

As for the voice command, it seems that Epic left a few of the voice features out, namely Voice Activity Detection, Voice Commands, and something else I can't think of right now (I'm at work). What they have in is pretty impressive, IMO. The lower quality codec doesn't sound bad at all.

[Ci]Necro

Dec 8, 2002
www.clanci.net
Text-To-Speech is 100% working and implemented in the demo, Although it sucks :) though, hearing the computer say "Good Game" instead of "gee-gee" for gg was pretty cool, it does the same for lol ("Laugh out loud"), thats all i heard before i got annoyed with it.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
In order to get text to speach (where when somebody says something in chat the computer reads it to you) and voice recognition (where you give the bots voice commands) to work you need the microsoft speach SDK. If you have windows XP this might be enabled already. Goto controll panel -> speach and there should be two tabs one for text to speach and one for voice recognition. If you have the sdk and it's not working chances are you need to change a setting there. If you don't have the SDK then visit here:

http://www.microsoft.com/speech/download/sdk51/

also note you can change the voice it uses and such. Just change the settings in the speech part of the control panel.

Last edited:

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Sir_Brizz said:
As for the voice command, it seems that Epic left a few of the voice features out, namely Voice Activity Detection, Voice Commands, and something else I can't think of right now (I'm at work).

So they left out the whole system then..... damn. I was looking forward to that.

Oh well, it'll only be a month before retail, or so I hope. NO DELAYS DAMN IT, I WANT THE GAME AND WILL DOWNLOAD PATCHES. :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't think we'll see it retail later than the release date right now.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Nemephosis said:
So they left out the whole system then..... damn. I was looking forward to that.

Oh well, it'll only be a month before retail, or so I hope. NO DELAYS DAMN IT, I WANT THE GAME AND WILL DOWNLOAD PATCHES. :D

Ok I figured out how to get the speech recognizer to work for the bots. You have to manually install this SDK from microsoft seperately.

http://www.microsoft.com/speech/download/sdk51/

Once you have done that, go to Control Panel -> Speech and make sure the speech recognizer and your mic are set up.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Thanks, downloading now. WIll have to try when I get home from work today. It's going fast though, 170-180K a second. Who knew MS servers would be so fast?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Sir_Brizz said:
on Windows 2000 you have to actually install the Windows stuff for Text-to-Speech services yourself. In XP it installs by default.

This is something that comes on the original install CD right ? I remember an option that plays a voice whenever you use menu items and other things. Is that the same thing ?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
the sdk is a self-extracting executable ... after extracting you need to run the setup.exe in there.
I think the microphone setup-sequence was automagically activated after installing this thing on my system.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
it's still not working?! I trained it, I set it up in 2K4 and it's still not recognized? God, forget it.......