News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > UnrealEngine2 Runtime > General Discussion

Old 31st Jan 2004, 01:18 PM   #1
oneirotekt

Crash when attempting to play OGG music?

I recently tried to have some music playing in a map and ran into a crash problem. I tried the same methods using a completely un-modified version of the Runtime and got the same crash, so I'm fairly certain it's nothing I changed.

I tried to get the music playing in two ways. The first was using the Audio section of the LevelInfo's properties; I typed in the name of the OGG file I wanted (no extension) and when I tried to run the map I got this crash:

Quote:
General protection fault!

History: UALAudioSubsystem::RegisterSound <- UALAudioSubsystem::PlayMusic <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (RTGameInfo musictest.RTGameInfo0, Function Runtime.RTGameInfo.PostLogin) <- ULevel::SpawnPlayActor <- MatchViewportsToActors <- (musictest) <- ClientInit <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- LocalMapURL <- UGameEngine::Browse <- ClientTravel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop
I tried another method, using a MusicTrigger that gets triggered whenever the player enters the map, and got the exact same crash. I checked the code for both approaches and they both use the same function.

The OGG file itself is kosher, I even tried substituting an OGG from UT2003's \Music directory, and got the same crash.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?
oneirotekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2004, 10:36 PM   #2
patrickrho

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneirotekt
I recently tried to have some music playing in a map and ran into a crash problem. I tried the same methods using a completely un-modified version of the Runtime and got the same crash, so I'm fairly certain it's nothing I changed.

I tried to get the music playing in two ways. The first was using the Audio section of the LevelInfo's properties; I typed in the name of the OGG file I wanted (no extension) and when I tried to run the map I got this crash:

I tried another method, using a MusicTrigger that gets triggered whenever the player enters the map, and got the exact same crash. I checked the code for both approaches and they both use the same function.

The OGG file itself is kosher, I even tried substituting an OGG from UT2003's \Music directory, and got the same crash.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?
well
The runtime's audio feature only supports .umx files and you will get an error if you try to play back ogg files. This ogg file playing back should definitely be added in the runtime, since the umx file is just like midi file, which you can't possibly, or very hard to, convert from mp3 or ogg.

I would like to know if there are other types that can be played back by the Runtime and that the new version of the runtime would support it..

When is the new runtime going to come out???
patrickrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 12:20 PM   #3
oneirotekt

Are you sure? UMX support was dropped fairly early on in the development of the second generation Unreal engine, and OGG support was added not long after. UT2003 and all other games using the 2nd gen engine all support OGG. I was under the impression that it was broken specifically in the runtime.

Anyone know if any Epic / UDN people read this forum, or am I just wasting my time?
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 08:19 PM   #4
patrickrho

Quote:
Yeah, the editors are different. Also the Runtime uses UMX files instead of OGG files, which is a slight difference. Another thing is parts of the runtime are quite different.
Yes I am pretty sure that the runtime is specifically designed so that it would play back UMX files.
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 10:19 PM   #5
Vito

patrickrho, uh, you're wrong. UMX files are long dead.

I don't know why music is broken, but it apparently is. We'll be looking into it.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2004, 10:43 PM   #6
[SAS]Solid Snake

I think Unreal should still UMX files due to the modular format. Good MODs still compare well against any streaming playback. For example a 1 minute techno type mod will be better in a lot of cases than an OGG. Oh well... it would be nice to have both.

Digital Confectioners
[SAS]Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2004, 11:32 AM   #7
patrickrho

blah blah blah...

huh?
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=120702

this post said it supports UMX instead of OGG so i thought i was correct

well i guess not
Old 5th Feb 2004, 12:02 PM   #8
[SAS]Solid Snake

Difference is patrickrho is that Vito speficially oversees the UnrealRuntime2 project.

Digital Confectioners
[SAS]Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2004, 09:31 PM   #9
oneirotekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito
patrickrho, uh, you're wrong. UMX files are long dead.

I don't know why music is broken, but it apparently is. We'll be looking into it.

Excellent, thank you very much sir!
Old 6th Feb 2004, 06:14 AM   #10
Vito

It's confirmed that Ogg music playback is definitely broken. Don't know why. It's on the list of things to fix. We may or may not do a bugfix release before the post-UT2004 version, but we'll know "soon."
Old 7th Feb 2004, 07:03 AM   #11
patrickrho

oH nice..
when will the post-UT2004 version be available?
Old 13th Mar 2004, 11:38 AM   #12
Vito

http://udn.epicgames.com/~vito/UE2Ru...s-22261903.zip

Install those DLLs into your Runtime's System directory, replacing the ones there, to fix music playback. Thanks to an unannounced engine licensee for confirming the problem.
Old 13th Mar 2004, 10:56 PM   #13
oneirotekt

Fantastic. Thanks for addressing this, everything seems to work now.
Old 28th Oct 2004, 09:47 PM   #14
Nagshi

Exclamation dead link

Does any one know of a working link for the files metioned above it would be great to have them, thanx in advance.

Cheers.
Old 1st Nov 2004, 09:38 AM   #15
oneirotekt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagshi
Does any one know of a working link for the files metioned above it would be great to have them, thanx in advance.

Cheers.
Attached. Attachments to forum posts should hang around for a while, right? Hopefully everyone can grab it here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip UE2RuntimeVorbisDLLs-22261903.zip (68.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 1st Nov 2004, 10:45 AM   #16
Nagshi

Thumbs up Thank you for the fix

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this. It is appreciated.

Cheers
Old 27th Nov 2004, 04:16 PM   #17
Leionaad

I looked in the UT2k4 files some time ago and I saw there are umx's in the sounds directory, and ogg files in the music directory. hmmm. I don't even know what I am trying to point out.
Leionaad is offline   Reply With Quote