Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > Off Topic

Old 22nd Jan 2004, 12:37 PM   #1
Keiichi
Old Timer

Unhappy Looks like the Mars Earth Probe Defense Force may have scored another one...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/0...act/index.html

NASA lost contact with the Spirit probe 24 hours ago and haven't been able to reestablish communications since. The last transmission from the probe also contained nothing but garbled, meaningless data.

-Keiichi

"These things are great! They're like sex, except I'm having them!" - Fry, Futurama

"We both know you won't get half-way to Vergon 6 before 'The Craving' sets is. Then you'll come crawling back for another taste of sweet, sweet candy." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"Well, a doctor cures people. A medic just makes them more comfortable....while they die." - Doc, Red vs Blue
Keiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 12:44 PM   #2
MetalMickey
Banned

Man, if these martians dont let us look around exactly where we want and when we want, we are just gonna have to invade.

MetalMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 12:49 PM   #3
JaFO
bugs are features too ...

They're probably hiding lots of WMD's up there as well ... so the americans might as well invade for the good of the Martians
JaFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 01:07 PM   #4
Vega-don
arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée

we should nuke mars because they might have Weapons of mass destruction
Vega-don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 01:14 PM   #5
DarkBls
Inf Ex-admin

Martian: "Damn, another ****ing voyeur. Honey, bring me the shotgun again !"

-New to Infiltration? Check out the Official Infiltration FAQ and Member's Infiltration FAQ.
DarkBls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 01:33 PM   #6
Cap'n Beeb
Banned

Spirit: "Whiiiiir bleep, boop. Beep beep woop fweep."
Martian gang banger: "SHIT BITCH WHY YOU?!" *Busts a Martian cap all up on Spirit.
Spirit: Your rover has performed an illegal operation and needs to be shut down.

Cap'n Beeb & Fizzil <3 for life.
Anaemic is a super stud.
Cap'n Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 03:32 PM   #7
spm1138
Irony Is

That's what they get for naming it something llam like "Spirit".
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 07:55 PM   #8
ecale3
Sniper - May be harmful to your health.

it got tired of forced labor.

ecale3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 08:46 PM   #9
Keganator
White as Snow Moderator

Well, good thing a second one is on its way. I'm so happy that the first rover (a 10 million dollar program) worked for many weeks while this one seems to have died (over 100 million, iirc) died an abysmal failure before it was finished. Whee.

--|| Sluggy Freelance || The Infiltration Forum Guidelines || Kegnet || Clan Phoenix Rising ||--
PsychoMoogieBagpuss: "...we are implementing an updated [forum] policy."
ZenPirate: "I suggested that we not only ban [offenders], but also ban the forumer next to them."
Arethusa: "So you're (at least largely) a diest?" NTKB: "No im a logical thinking christian"
Keganator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 10:12 PM   #10
Saladin
Fez Toting Warrior!

i can imagine this

lol but hey, thatd be as logical as invading a country on false pretesnes.

"The aim of israel's policy is to lead the palestinians to believe, to internalize in the deepest recesses of their conciousesness, that they are a defeated people." - Moshe Ya'alon Israeli Chief of staff.
Saladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 10:44 PM   #11
The_Pikeman
Also known as Howski

yea never give up saladin "the tru.... weapons are are out there!"
And anyway the europe mission probably did better look at this image

-How.

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus Aur y byd na'i berlau man, Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, Calon onest, calon lan

You take a bunch of people who don't seem any different from you or me, but when you add them all together you get this sort of huge raving maniac with national boarders and a anthem Commander Samuel Vimes

Last edited by The_Pikeman; 22nd Jan 2004 at 11:04 PM.
The_Pikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2004, 11:57 PM   #12
Cold Killer
I will Kill Bill

What is that?

Anyways, I'm certain that there's a race of isolationists up there that destroy every machine that we're sending. Either that or a bunch of Martian cavemen who break the things apart for raw materials...
Cold Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2004, 12:04 AM   #13
The_Pikeman
Also known as Howski

What the Pic? it's the Valles Marineris, a giant canyon that runs across the middle of the planet.
-How.

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus Aur y byd na'i berlau man, Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, Calon onest, calon lan

You take a bunch of people who don't seem any different from you or me, but when you add them all together you get this sort of huge raving maniac with national boarders and a anthem Commander Samuel Vimes
Old 23rd Jan 2004, 12:15 AM   #14
das_ben
Concerned.

Murr.
Old 23rd Jan 2004, 01:02 AM   #15
Cold Killer
I will Kill Bill

Erm, why's that picture evidence that the European mission did better?...
Old 23rd Jan 2004, 01:07 AM   #16
Approx
I'm 26. Now I've a wife AND a house.

Cold: Here is a grain of salt. Now go back and reread his post.

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
---Ayn Rand

Freedom for me is not having anything to lose. To be carefree and worryless is freedom. I don't need money to do this. All I need is life, and I've already been given that. I am free.
--Chronic

Approx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2004, 01:10 AM   #17
Cold Killer
I will Kill Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pikeman
And anyway the europe mission probably did better look at this image

-How.
He makes the statement that the European mission probably did better, then tells us to look at an image as if it supports his statement...
Old 23rd Jan 2004, 01:59 AM   #18
The_Pikeman
Also known as Howski

Uh ok CK go take a pill and lie down, anyway in retrospect that statement should be "And anyway the europe mission probably did better. Take a look at this image they got"
-How.

Old 23rd Jan 2004, 02:48 PM   #19
Cold Killer
I will Kill Bill

Ok, forgot about the European orbiter, and I assumed he was talking about the lander that's probably scattered across a crater in a million pieces right now.
Old 24th Jan 2004, 09:20 PM   #20
The_Pikeman
Also known as Howski

Intresting piece on the NASA mission:
Mars Buggy 'May Have Landed in Mud-Like Material'
Quote:
Pictures from Nasa’s roving Mars buggy have astonished scientists by indicating that it may have landed in mud.

Strange marks near the Spirit rover’s landing site suggest that against all the odds there be might liquid water on or just beneath the surface of Mars.

The water would have to be very salty to avoid freezing or evaporating in the harsh Martian conditions.

If the scientists’ suspicions are confirmed it would be the clearest sign yet that lakes and oceans once existed on Mars, and greatly increase the chances of life.

The presence of water in the Martian soil could even mean that the Viking Mars landers really did detect life on the planet in 1976.

Positive results from the Viking experiments were dismissed when it was realised they could have been produced by an inorganic chemical process. But mud on Mars would rule out this explanation for the strange findings.

The mystery stems from a small disturbed patch of ground very close to the lander, New Scientist reported today.

Dubbed the “magic carpet”, it was made by the lander’s airbags scraping across the soil.

But its appearance has taken scientists completely by surprise. Instead of breaking or cracking, as dry soil would be expected to do, the surface seems to have flowed and folded as if wet.

Science team leader Steven Squyres said: “It looks like mud, but it can’t be mud.”

Pure water cannot exist at the low temperatures and pressures found on Mars – it would either freeze or evaporate away.

But scientists say that is not true of brine. If the water contained enough salt, it could be stable.

Not sure if it's true I've not seen it anyware else.
-how.