DM-Haunted Valley - UT2k3 (Screenshots)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

spec_x

DA2 Project Lead/Level Designer
Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
Hey guys, just a little map I've been workin on. Going to use original music track, some original static meshes and some original textures. Looks like it's going to turn out pretty good. I like critisizim, so fire away. Also, I could use some beta testers at some point. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

When you have the map in a fit state for testing post a download link here so that we can check it out and give you some solid feedback.

Off the bat, going purely from the screenshots, you'll need to fix either the distance fog (if you're using some) or work on blending the skybox better as the seam is all too clear. Perhaps it looks better in game, time will tell. Also, I'm not overly drawn by the small ponds of blood, when some nice water textures with some kick arse environment maps could severely notch up the eye candy.

You may also want to consider placing a bit more architecture in the level as the solitary building and open layout of the level looks rather bland at the moment. Think about having some structures that will allow you to place some large antiportals around the map to help optimise performance.

I'd also recommend significantly more variation in textures for layers in the terrain. The shots show only about two. I'd suggest a minimum of six different layers for your terrain.

I'll supply you with some more specific feedback when you supply a download link.

Hope this helps!

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
First off I'd like to say thanks for the feedback :) I know how you feel about the blood pools, but they'll make more sense towards the final stages of the map, and in the end I might decide not to go so out there and replace them with water, but we'll see.

In a recent build I've actually changed the color of the distance fog so it actaully blends in with the background nicely and it's not as aweful as it is in these screenshots (more will be posted shortly, along with a link to download my latest build.)

More architecture is on the way, fret not, I just put the house together first so there wasn't a big blank spot on the map. Also, the screenshots aren't great at showing the texturing as there are like 6 or 7 layers. Probably hard to see I guess in the screenshots but in game it's more noticable. Near the end I'll probably re-do the layers, but for now they'll do.

I've been sending builds of the map out to various people that are testing it for me, so I'll go ahead and put up a link to my latest playable builds as they come. I've already added basic pathing, starts, and weapons/pick-ups throughout, just so it's something to play with and not just running around with nothing to do. So far I've haven't had any complaints with how it runs, and I'm hoping that continues throughout development

I should have that link up soon.

Thanks again :)

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
Here's a link to the download

Download me!

And here's a couple new screenshots, I know they are kinda dark, but it looks brighter in-game

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
I've done a lot of work since my last post. A new build will be available to download, with an updated extended music track, plus some fixes on things and some additions. New screenshots will be posted soon when I have a couple other things I want done finished

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
New screenshots. This time I took the time to go into photoshop and brighten them a bit to match what it looks more like in game. Also the download for the map has been updated with a longer cut music track and the latest build of the map which I'll re-post again here

Download Map Here

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Sorry to have taken a little while to get back to you, spec_x.

First off, the good stuff. Kudos on a brilliantly optimised terrain. This map runs silky smooth with very little in the way of dips in fps on a wide range of systems all the way down to minimum spec, and this is a great accomplishment. I'm sure it helps having that large mound in the middle! ;) The custom static meshes for the lanterns are also nicely done, but some more on them shortly. The custom music track is great and works well with what you have done so far.

Now for some thoughts! :) I can see the type of theme you're going for, a kind of deserted and haunted place (hence the name!) where blood is still fresh, however, to be honest the blood pools still don't do it for me. They don't look that cool anyhow, and despite the bloodstains in the snow to support them, they don't quite convey a sense of doom, to me at least. Having seen them in-game, I still think custom enviroment maps would pull more eye candy without sacrificing your intended theme. The static meshes for the lanterns aren't convincing as light sources in their current form. The fact that you can see into the cone where there is nothing creating the light is the issue here. I would suggest placing a corona light inside the cone so that as players approach they at least see something shining.

Despite the level being brighter in-game than in the screenshots, I think it is still too dark. I'd suggest increasing the size of the moon in your skybox. As it is it seems a little small. It may be realistic in size, but that's for here on Earth, and we are playing Unreal so you have some license with things like that. I'd make the moon 2.5 to three times as big, and then you could increase the brightness of your sunlight actor giving the entire level greater brightness but in a believable fashion (because the moon is so much bigger).

The cabin. Yes. Perhaps you have plans to add further detail? I'm thinking that you would be better having the place boarded up, with some flickering lights inside but players unable to investigate further. It raises questions in the players' minds like "what's making that light in there?", adding to the mystery. Besides, the interior is very cramped and shouldn't become part of the play area. It looks bland inside now and adding detail is unlikely to help enough to make it worth the effort. Think about adding some glass windows that are frosted over to obscure vision into the interior. If you're game, you could even play with an alpha-channel texture to allow players to see shapes inside with being able to really make them out.

Continuing on the architectural note, whilst I see what you're trying with the broken walls, they really look rather tacked on and unconvincing. This also leads to the bain of many terrain based levels. Despite your efforts, I still feel that the level lacks a real personality. The existing architecture is just too insufficient to establish an identity or develop a theme. I think the level would benefit from a substantial increase in architecture of some form or another, because depite your efforts it still feels rather bland and without its own character. Those lanterns are a step in the right direction. Perhaps you could take their design style and attempt to apply it to more broken ruins that are more substantial than the token walls you currently have scattered about. You would also do well to attempt to vary lighting, texturing and/or mesh work throughout the level to enable players to differentiate between various areas. The entire level feels to consistent to enable players to navigate effectively.

These are just some thoughts, of course. You have a good beginning, but there is some work ahead if you want to lift it above the sea of similar levels.

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
You've touched base on a lot of things I've done with the recent build. I have in fact decided to lose the blood. Also, the random pieces of walls, etc were just there for me to establish me heading in the direction of adandoned ruins and they will be replaced with an actually layout that is more consistant and makes sense within the map, right now yes they look tacky and I am aware of that :) also, the moon has been changed as well. Originally I had it larger but I made it small to convery a different look but have since decided to go back to what I had originally planned. You touched on the house and I'm glad you did. I didn't plan on having it meant to go in. I just haven't done anything with it yet, as that's lower on my list of things I want to do. I still plan on doing a lot of work to this, and I'm glad that it's still running smooth as that's been a huge concern of mine. About the static meshes, it isn't quite finished as yes, I still need to add something that shows that hey, this would actually make light, and that will be fixed within the next couple builds. I'm sure you also may have noticed the lights by the house without sources, I'm still working on the mesh for that as well as a few other meshes I'll hopfully be able to stick in to further convey the "ruins" look. I encourage anyone else to also lend a few words on what they think :)

Thanks for everything and I hope to get some new shots and a new build up within the next week or so :)

Gui

AD Cop
Feb 7, 2002
Mega-Tokyo
www.ozone4.com
Don't remove the blood, please: it gives the main part of its character to the map IMO. In the contrary, improve this part of your design: use some cubemap in the pools and redo the skybox like something we see in BR-IceField but rework the color of the clouds in Photoshop to make them bloody red, then use a xWeatherEffect to drop a thin rain of blood on your terrain. That'll be more than enough to get an unique and never-done-before theme... ;)

Remove the house: it's useless because there's nothing of interest in there and it's a flow killer because it's far too much narrow and a dead-end aswell. Also these sorts of buildings are complete clichés IMO, particularly for this kind of atmosphere. Add more ruins instead, maybe some menhir or dolmen things aswell, like relics of these ancient times where black magic was commonly accepted and feared... While I'm at it, use a custom mesh for the xWeaponBase, something which will fit better the theme (a rock with runes engraved on, a human or demon skull,... whatever else than these high-tech things)

Take a closer look to Antalus' layout to improve the flow of your map which is a bit simple: it mainly lacks of z-axis and doesn't allow players to go quickly from one side to the opposite in passing through the center... Don't hesitate to use lifts and bridges to allow quick access to different or higher areas of the map and it'll provide a more interesting gameplay IMO :)

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
decisions decisions :) I'll take what you said into consideration, but I still have a long ways to go until it's completed so who know's how it'll turn out in the end, only time will tell. I glad to see the fans of my blood pools are growing though, lol :)

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
alright, well, I've made a decision about the pools, and I'm keeping the blood. This time around however I made a cubemap for it, so they reflect the level and i think it looks much better. I'm also going to redo the layer of blood on the terrain as it looks overwelming and tacky. here's just a quick screenshot of one of the pools so you guys can tell me what you think, I'll also update the build so you can see it ingame, but be warned that a lot of stuff is missing from my last build as I'm totally redoing a lot of things. I'm also reworking the terrain a bit for more z-axis fighting (thanks Gui ;)) The house however is staying, because while it may be a little cliche, getting rid of it would defeat the purpose of the theme of the map, however, I am adding "ruins" look throughout the map that will help resolve some obvious lack of structure and character issues it plainly has. I also like your idea on the blood rain, however, we'll have to see how that goes, but I'm not sure it'd make sense along with that giant moon in the sky there, which I plan on keeping. Also, I like having my lightning/thunderstorm there without rain to go with it, but we'll see. I want to try and listen to what you guys have to say, but at the same time try not to lose sight of what direction I want to take the map. Besides, that's what new maps are for :)

blood.jpg

Last edited:

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
the bots play the map pretty well I think, but you'd have to play the map yourself and be your own judge about that I think

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
Alrighty, new screenshot goodness. The two large areas are going to become setting for the ruins. Also obviously the terrain has been tweaked quite a bit, so much in fact that I had to re-do all the layers, good times. I took out all the pathing, player stars and weapons/items and I'm going to be moving them around a lot anyways. after I get some other stuff done I'll post a new build. Lemme know if they're too dark and I'll brighten them up a bit

hv1.jpg

hv2.jpg

hv3.jpg

hv4.jpg

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Gui's Mr. Lighting, you'll have to ask him.;) Anyway, it's Haunted, right? It does seem a little dark from the shots, but I'll have to try it to be sure. Let us know when you have the next build with new pathing/weapons/starts/layers, etc. and I'll DL and try that one.

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
Alright, so here's a quick look at the possible look of the ruins. Just kinda tinkering around with it, let me know your guys' thoughts. Also, as I like the whole ruins thing, I might be getting rid of the house in favor of this, cause as it stands now, it's becoming more and more out of place. I'll miss my house :(

ruins.jpg

spec_x

Dec 10, 2002
Redmond, WA
Ok, new shots. The house is gone and being replaced by a tower and some other ruins. Also some color has been added to the clouds and lighting has been tweaked a bit. Lemme know what you guys think

ruins1.jpg

ruins2.jpg

ruins3.jpg

ruins4.jpg