Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > New Version Suggestions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th Dec 2003, 09:56 AM   #1
Nukeproof
n1
 
Nukeproof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 2nd, 2001
Location: Frankfurt/ Germany
Posts: 1,219
FAMAS Acog & iron sights ?

I just wonder if (in RL) one would be able to use the iron sights of a FAMAS when an Acog is mounted. Since the closer part is integrated into the handle, and the Acog is mounted atop of it, it would think that one still had the choice to aim through the Acog or the iron sights.

Imo it would be pretty cool if this was implented into Inf (if I am not mistaking about RL situation).

Any idea?
Nukeproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2003, 10:16 AM   #2
jaunty
If you disagree with me, you're wrong.
 
jaunty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 30th, 2000
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,506
no.
__________________
Burn Christians, not books.
jaunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2003, 10:46 AM   #3
geogob
Koohii o nomimasu ka?
 
geogob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 11th, 2000
Location: replication{ reliable if( Role==ROLE_Authority ) Tick;}
Posts: 4,148
Is because the ACOG fixture block the line of sight of the Iron sight or because the front part of the iron sights blocks the ACOG line of sight? Or is it something else?

* Sorry for all the "sights" in the same phrase... it gets kinda confusing

** Before talking about in-game implementation, when you are not sure about RL, there's a weapon question topic in Other Topics forum.
__________________


--
Intelligenti Pauca

--
Get RealTargets - INF_Loadlim - INF Mod Team addons
geogob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2003, 12:38 PM   #4
spm1138
Irony Is
 
spm1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug. 10th, 2001
Posts: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2
I just wonder if (in RL) one would be able to use the iron sights of a FAMAS when an Acog is mounted. Since the closer part is integrated into the handle, and the Acog is mounted atop of it, it would think that one still had the choice to aim through the Acog or the iron sights.

Imo it would be pretty cool if this was implented into Inf (if I am not mistaking about RL situation).

Any idea?
Then what would be the disadvantage to fitting an ACOG?
__________________
spm1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2003, 01:40 PM   #5
geogob
Koohii o nomimasu ka?
 
geogob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 11th, 2000
Location: replication{ reliable if( Role==ROLE_Authority ) Tick;}
Posts: 4,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm1138
Then what would be the disadvantage to fitting an ACOG?
Bulk? Even more reduce field of view while using Iron sights. But it seems that it is not possible (ref Jaunty's post). I'm curious to know why. Is is simply because it makes no sense and it is not practical because of the reduce field of view (that would be a good enough reason for me anyway)
__________________


--
Intelligenti Pauca

--
Get RealTargets - INF_Loadlim - INF Mod Team addons
geogob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2003, 02:48 PM   #6
SaraP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb. 12th, 2002
Location: The Land of the Governator
Posts: 935
Given that he failed to provide any evidence, I’d say Jaunty’s just blowing smoke. Tiffy or Meplat should be able to answer this authoritatively; in the meantime, I’d say there appears to be no reason it wouldn’t work – the iron sight goes through the handle, while scopes are mounted on top of it.
__________________
"The larger number of rounds carried inside the M9 and replacement magazines means that the soldier can stay in the fight longer before having to perfect his/her pistol throwing skills."

- USGI M1911/M1911A1 Service Pistols: M1911 vs. M9 , author unspecified

"A woman in Milton Township, Michigan, discovered a Glock .40-caliber pistol in her kitchen. She put it in the oven. That night, the family decided to cook a pizza and preheated the oven. There was a round in the chamber, and the intense heat caused the weapon to discharge, killing a male infant who was sleeping about 25 feet away in the living room."

- The Major Cause of Gun Accidents -- People's Own Stupidity by Brian Carnell
SaraP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2003, 07:32 PM   #7
Nukeproof
n1
 
Nukeproof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 2nd, 2001
Location: Frankfurt/ Germany
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunty
no.
not quite as detailed as I was hoping for

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogob
** Before talking about in-game implementation, when you are not sure about RL, there's a weapon question topic in Other Topics forum.
next time.
Nukeproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2003, 10:23 PM   #8
jaunty
If you disagree with me, you're wrong.
 
jaunty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 30th, 2000
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraP
Given that he failed to provide any evidence, I’d say Jaunty’s just blowing smoke. Tiffy or Meplat should be able to answer this authoritatively; in the meantime, I’d say there appears to be no reason it wouldn’t work – the iron sight goes through the handle, while scopes are mounted on top of it.
What blowing smoke? He asked if it was possible, I said no.

No because the ACOG blocks the line of sight from the rear apature to the front post. If you don't believe me, take a long hard look at where the holes and brackets are on the handle. There's no way those sights stay functional with an ACOG in there. I can't even find a FAMAS adapter for the ACOG on Trijicon's website, but I'm working on the assumption that since ShakKen made the FAMAS, there's a 1 in 2,000,000,000 that it's wrong in terms of scope placement. And if it is wrong, it was probably done on purpose for a gameplay related reason.

As it exists in game, the ACOG lays smack bang in the middle of the LOS for the iron sights, meaning the only decent rifle around where you get a scope AND iron sights at the same time is still the immortal AK family. Viva la Russia!

The only evidence I found re: scope mounting is this picture, where the G2 commando has a reflex type sight mounted above the handle. It's a different rifle, though.
__________________
Burn Christians, not books.
jaunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2003, 01:13 AM   #9
Meplat
Chock full-o-useless information
 
Join Date: Dec. 7th, 2003
Location: Phoenix,Arizona
Posts: 482
Jaunty's right. The ACOG 's I'm familiar with (the little 4X32's seen on the M4's) actually have backup "iron" sights as part of the housing. They even have neat little tritium elements for the front post.

One could mount an ACOG on a see through style mount, but that'd be putting it uncomfortably high, especially on a FAMAS. I understand there is a mount for the ACOG, using the "U" channel of the M-16's carrying handle/rear sight, but I have'nt handled one. Even so, it's not that hard to rip the little monster off if it gets damaged. I for one would'nt want to be dealing with cricking my neck trying to squint at irons through a see through mount, when I have a very good optical sight handy.

Meplat-
Meplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2003, 02:40 AM   #10
OICW
Reason & Logic > Religion
 
OICW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 18th, 2000
Location: New South Wales, Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,374
I was under the impression that the screw attaching the ACOG to the M16 carrying handle blocked the rear sight.
__________________


"If there is a country that has committed unspeakable atrocities in the world, it is the United States of America" - Nelson Mandela, at the International Women's Forum
OICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2003, 05:03 AM   #11
Nukeproof
n1
 
Nukeproof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 2nd, 2001
Location: Frankfurt/ Germany
Posts: 1,219
Ok, then just forget about the idea... Thx for explanation
Nukeproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2003, 10:25 AM   #12
SaraP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb. 12th, 2002
Location: The Land of the Governator
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICW
I was under the impression that the screw attaching the ACOG to the M16 carrying handle blocked the rear sight.
It does. However, the question was about the Giat FAMAS, not the Colt M-16!
__________________
"The larger number of rounds carried inside the M9 and replacement magazines means that the soldier can stay in the fight longer before having to perfect his/her pistol throwing skills."

- USGI M1911/M1911A1 Service Pistols: M1911 vs. M9 , author unspecified

"A woman in Milton Township, Michigan, discovered a Glock .40-caliber pistol in her kitchen. She put it in the oven. That night, the family decided to cook a pizza and preheated the oven. There was a round in the chamber, and the intense heat caused the weapon to discharge, killing a male infant who was sleeping about 25 feet away in the living room."

- The Major Cause of Gun Accidents -- People's Own Stupidity by Brian Carnell
SaraP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2003, 11:14 AM   #13
geogob
Koohii o nomimasu ka?
 
geogob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 11th, 2000
Location: replication{ reliable if( Role==ROLE_Authority ) Tick;}
Posts: 4,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunty
If you don't believe me[...]
We probably all do... but further explanation was welcome.

Thanks
__________________


--
Intelligenti Pauca

--
Get RealTargets - INF_Loadlim - INF Mod Team addons
geogob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2003, 12:15 PM   #14
Meplat
Chock full-o-useless information
 
Join Date: Dec. 7th, 2003
Location: Phoenix,Arizona
Posts: 482
Sara- I'm sure he was relating it to my comment on the '16's carry handle mount, and the possibility that a FAMAS could use a similar design.

Meplat-
Meplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2003, 07:40 PM   #15
Spier
1
 
Join Date: Mar. 9th, 2003
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICW
I was under the impression that the screw attaching the ACOG to the M16 carrying handle blocked the rear sight.
As Meplat said, for the AR15 family there is a mount designed specifically to allow the useage of iron sights with an ACOG mounted. I wouldn't be suprised if it would also work on a FAMAS.
Spier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2003, 09:35 PM   #16
jaunty
If you disagree with me, you're wrong.
 
jaunty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 30th, 2000
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,506
Last I heard, the default method to mount an ACOG to an AR-15 carry handle was via a screw through the hole in the carry handle and into the sight. Aside from being stupid, it's redundant since a flat top receiver makes a whole heap more sense if you're gonna be throwing optics onto an AR-15.

The only hole I've seen in the FAMAS carry handle is on one the side of it, and I've got no idea why it's there. There might be one on the underside ala AR-15, but I don't know.
__________________
Burn Christians, not books.
jaunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2003, 10:59 PM   #17
Meplat
Chock full-o-useless information
 
Join Date: Dec. 7th, 2003
Location: Phoenix,Arizona
Posts: 482
Jaunty- *nods* They're mainly on flattop variants, at least the ones I saw. I was never really a fan of putting optics(Save NVG) on a '16 anyhow.

Meplat-
Meplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Dec 2003, 12:43 AM   #18
jaunty
If you disagree with me, you're wrong.
 
jaunty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr. 30th, 2000
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,506
I just think that putting optics on top of the carry handle places them too far above the bore axis. It's fine on a flat top, since their much closer. The exception is the mount for the Reflex which lets you mount it on a fixed loop receiver.
__________________
Burn Christians, not books.
jaunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2004, 01:03 AM   #19
Gnam
Registered User
 
Gnam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb. 13th, 2002
Location: Yes, please.
Posts: 515
What about the backup irons on the ACOG? How useable are these for inf and why?
Gnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2004, 01:33 AM   #20
5eleven
I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain
 
5eleven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar. 23rd, 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 787
Maybe I missed something here, and I realize the question was about the FAMAS, which IRL I know nothing about.

However, I do have a Competition HBAR AR-15, which has the option of a flat top receiver. However, I do have a sort of L-shaped rail which is affixed to the top of the carrying handle, via the hole in the middle of the carrying handle. It's hollow through the middle........then drops at the forward portion of the handle. On that forward end, I have a red-dot scope mounted. The way the rail is made and it's positioned, I can use either the red-dot or irons.

Of course a red-dot has no magnification, but I like using it in certain situations just for point shooting on the move and rapid target acquisition. For longer shots, I can either use them together, or just turn it off.

I just liked that idea, and would rather have the option of using irons, rather than mounting a scope on the flattop.

Sorry Jaunty, if I just basically said what you did in my explanation. I was gonna try to get a pic of it and post it...............
__________________


You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.- Al Capone
5eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Copyright ©1998 - 2012, BeyondUnreal, Inc.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Bandwidth provided by AtomicGamer