MMOG: Lineage 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kaldais

Dec 16, 2003
Hello,
I saw in Unreal Powered page a game called Lineage 2. But Lineage 2 isn't a MMORPG? How they created it with no load times?
I can create a MMOG with the runtime?

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
I can create a MMOG with the runtime?
No, read the EULA. No games are allowed to be distributed.

But Lineage 2 isn't a MMORPG? How they created it with no load times?
It is a MMORPG, but it works a little differently to others. They have access to native code, while we are restricted to Unrealscript (at the moment). Because they can modify the engine directly to their needs they can do things such as precaching data as they user is playing or precaching predictions (we can precache all the data but that results in very long start up times).

Kaldais

Dec 16, 2003
Thanks.
Mhh, is it possible to do a "Postal 2" like load time with only the RunTime?

Gawes

Oct 20, 2003
Marburg - Germany
www.gawes.de.vu
Then you got another Version than I did.
I haven't checked it in the Editor, but it looked pretty much like many small maps. If it truly is one big map, the caching and the transissions are done badly.