News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Series > Unreal 2

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2003, 03:10 AM   #1
jerryku

anti-sniper mutator popularity?

I'm still playing XMP demo, and am wondering if I should get the full version by buying Unreal 2. My primary complaint is that the snipers are extremely annoying, and I feel are far too overpowered and easy to use. They usually greatly dominate the Frag charts in my experience.

I noticed that there's an anti-sniper mutator that's been created, so my question is: is the mutator popular , becoming popular on full XMP servers...... or are most people pretty happy with the default game balance??
Old 13th Dec 2003, 03:34 AM   #2
kab000m

so far i haven't noticed a problem with snipers in the full version, but if one team has alot of them it can become annoying. Lots of snipers often result in a stagged D , which allows you to grab all generators and deploypoints. They can't get amunition in midfield, so they tend to stay close to home ;]

I haven't played on a server with the anti-sniper mutator yet, but don't think that there is a pressing need for it.
Old 13th Dec 2003, 05:28 AM   #3
Crokx
Adept

I no have see one alone server use this mutator at moment, maybe if I enchance with a anti-camper-for-the-SniperRifle-user ...
Old 13th Dec 2003, 06:14 AM   #4
iddQd
Yours truly

Me thiks that in the full version the sniper isn't that overpowered since garden is one of the maps with most air, other maps are more dizzy and more obstacels!
Old 13th Dec 2003, 06:40 AM   #5
MattMacD

Yeah, and other maps have fog as well... range is drastically shortened by that.
Old 13th Dec 2003, 07:44 AM   #6
Crokx
Adept

I understand, maybe the best for an other mutator version is to left the clip size to 3 bullets.
Old 13th Dec 2003, 10:13 AM   #7
Zur
surrealistic mad cow

Why not give the ability to the admin to decide how much ammo, range, etc. a sniper should get ?

Old 13th Dec 2003, 01:30 PM   #8
Raden
lol

Because then you'd get servers that have "OMG HUGE SNIPE RANGE AND LOTS OF AMMO OLOLOL"

Thanks, but no.
Old 13th Dec 2003, 01:35 PM   #9
Burnout
XMP Beta Tester

this is a *s h i t t* mutator! it wouldn't be a unreal game without sniping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sniping is a important part of U2XMP!!!!
Don't modify it or ..... *HEADSHOT*
*ggg*

Last edited by Burnout; 13th Dec 2003 at 01:53 PM.
Old 13th Dec 2003, 05:13 PM   #10
faintestmirage
XMP Beta Tester

you shouldnt base your views about a class on the demo
Old 13th Dec 2003, 06:14 PM   #11
Zur
surrealistic mad cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemephosis
Because then you'd get servers that have "OMG HUGE SNIPE RANGE AND LOTS OF AMMO OLOLOL"

Thanks, but no.
That's assuming that most admins are completely immature .

Old 13th Dec 2003, 11:59 PM   #12
Crokx
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless
Why not give the ability to the admin to decide how much ammo, range, etc. a sniper should get ?
No I have test, is very playable with a normal clipsize, also I have remove the automatic reload when you select the SniperRifle (if no loaded).
Old 14th Dec 2003, 10:26 AM   #13
TossMonkey
brown bread?

This is stupid, the ranger isn't really a class that is very powerful, even with the sniper rifle. You guys should just practice being good with your chosen class rather than bitching about the others. Theres been plenty of time where I have come unstuck because the sniper rifle has run out of ammo, or I've been using too much of my jets and my energy is low, or I've healed myself but my armour has been completely wiped out. You need to take advantages of these situations like a good ranger will take advantage of the open areas of a map. Or the way a fast ranger can get to the generators before anybody else.

Whole teams of rangers are useless, as is whole teams of rangers in defense are useless. You need only 3 or so rangers per team, you need to have a good defense of techs and gunners that protect the generators.

People who are complaining about the ranger class don't understand how to play as their own class. If you're a gunner then what use are you trying to get into a base and steal an artifact? You'll be hunted down by rangers in seconds. Same for Techs. Keep your techs and gunners in the midfield at the most and only have them upfront when a ranger needs support. Otherwise stay in the base.

At least if you don't take my advice my life as a ranger will be pretty darn cushy.

PSN: Fifth-Elephant
Quakelive: FifthElephant
no good reason

Last edited by TossMonkey; 14th Dec 2003 at 10:28 AM.
Old 14th Dec 2003, 03:30 PM   #14
Anathema-
...because we're NOT free

Guys really, the ranger (sniper rifle specifically) is not overpowered. I thought that might have been the case when I first started playing too, but as I improved in my own skills the ranger doesn't pose that much of a threat to me. I play a full time tech and most snipers don't give me much trouble. I don't know how it will be for you guys but it took me a couple weeks to get totally comfortable with the game.

I also object to the idea that the techs should hang back and protect the field while the rangers cap. Techs are more then capable of stealing the artifact, espically in a base loaded down with force walls and turrets. I can't speak for gunners, but techs certainly can pose a good threat to an artifact node.

There are times in life; when you just do what you're trained to do .. and the only thing you feel when you take a human life .. is recoil.

-The way I attack you is gonna look unorthidoxed.

New Hotness: Anathema-, K-Dawg, Talon, dirt.
Old 16th Dec 2003, 04:02 PM   #15
PF Prophet

acctuly you CAN cap with any class just depends on your skill level with that class

base raids should be with a MIX of classes for best results

when you learn to work as a team you can do amazing things and thats the whole point
if anything the rangers are better for mid field protection with the massive range and accuracy of there weppion they can get setup in a high point and take out those damn arti theives
there fast but close range there like shoting somebody whos using butter as armmor
Old 17th Dec 2003, 07:04 AM   #16
Crokx
Adept

Rant Arf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
this is a *s h i t t* mutator! it wouldn't be a unreal game without sniping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sniping is a important part of U2XMP!!!!
Don't modify it or ..... *HEADSHOT*
*ggg*
You don't have shame to insult me in a Unreal forum!?
When you insult me, you insult also the destroyed'Unreal'community, SHUT UP so
Old 17th Dec 2003, 07:18 AM   #17
Tsylatac
International Seahorse Inseminator

I personally haven't seen an awful lot of problems with the current balance, so an anti-sniper mutator isn't needed imo, but then again we'll have to see after people actually get the hang of the game and start playing seriously... (it doesn't really affect me that much since I never use the ranger anyway ). A good balance is needed rather than nerfing things because they've not really worked in previous games (since XMP's movement and game mechanics are very different from most other popular FPSs out there)
Old 17th Dec 2003, 12:31 PM   #18
Anathema-
...because we're NOT free

One good tactic to use against snipers is the simple dodge. Double tap in any direction and you will do a short burst to the proper direction. This will throw most snipers off, in my experience. When they shoot at you the shot is quite audible and the tracer shows you exactly where they are.

There are times in life; when you just do what you're trained to do .. and the only thing you feel when you take a human life .. is recoil.

-The way I attack you is gonna look unorthidoxed.

New Hotness: Anathema-, K-Dawg, Talon, dirt.
Closed Thread