News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004

Old 6th Dec 2003, 09:40 PM   #1
RzN

Should I Buy UT2003?

Ok, I am a superb player in the demo of UT2003 online, but should I fork over $19.99 and get a brand new full copy of this game, or I could get it for cheaper on eBay , or wait it out and get UT2004? I'd say I'm really good at the levels and weapons the demo offers, so what do you think I should do? Any responses would be appreciated.

Last edited by RzN; 7th Dec 2003 at 02:42 AM.
RzN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2003, 09:54 PM   #2
Doc_EDo
LEFT

If you can get UT2004 for the same money do it since it contains ut2003.
Old 6th Dec 2003, 10:07 PM   #3
Daedalus
I don't even...

for $20? Hell I paid full price when it first came out. For $20, go for it. After 2k4 comes out you'll have a collectors item, heh...
Old 6th Dec 2003, 10:21 PM   #4
Hanover_Fist
Hero

Well, I'll tell you....

The Demo servers are about the fullest servers there are, ReconGamer and both GibGames_DM servers have people on them most of the time. But if you only play bots then you're gonna find that the (Full Version) public servers have some extremely harsh competition. Real people (in this game) don't play like bots. (if bots is what you're playing)

But if you've got 20$ that is burning a hole in your pocket you are certainly more than welcome to join the people in this forum for some friendly, easy going fragging, then get the full version. Plus if you want help on getting better, this is the place to start. You won't find a better group of people to help you. There's no flaming or bad mouthing going on here.

But otherwise, wait till 2k4 comes out.

Last edited by Hanover_Fist; 6th Dec 2003 at 10:23 PM.
Hanover_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2003, 10:47 PM   #5
I_B_Bangin
habitual line stepper

The Legend has spoken!

I will preach Heaven and beat the hell out of you!
I_B_Bangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2003, 12:09 AM   #6
Morety
The Farterator

wtf would you know I Tea Baggin

Don't buy ut2k3. Buy Unreal2 with XMP instead. Way way way better!
Old 7th Dec 2003, 12:52 AM   #7
[MUTTS] Hiteche5
Rodney-like

I would have to agree with Hanover. At this stage of the game you are better off sitting in the demo for a month or two longer then going for Ut2K4.

Sigh
[MUTTS] Hiteche5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2003, 07:31 AM   #8
edhe
..dadhe..

Don't waste the money.

The demo offers some of the better maps, and some of the most used servers, personally i think you should save the money and wait 'till 2k4 (at least the demo) as buying 2k3 at the moment would be a bit silly *unless* you kept all evidence of the purchase and hope that the rebate works.

Get your own Gamercard Sig.
edhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2003, 07:46 AM   #9
Daedalus
I don't even...

I agree with what Hanover said about most of the guys who play 2k3 here.

"Most of the people here are 24 carat gold" -Same Carter, Deus Ex
Old 7th Dec 2003, 12:13 PM   #10
SlayerDragon
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus
"Most of the people here are 24 carat gold" -Same Carter, Deus Ex
Hehe, I just got that game at EBX for free when I bought GTA Vice City. (Great buy right there!) I just started it last night, it's great.
  \_/|/\__/  \/ |__/ \__/  \/
    /|         /|  
    \|         \|
SlayerDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2003, 02:30 PM   #11
hal
Dictator

My answer still has to be... get it if you can find it at a price that's worth it to you. I know that I would easily get 19.99 worth of entertainment out of it over the next two or three months.

If you can find it in the Used Games section somewhere, who knows? You might be able to grab it for 9.99 to 14.99. And as long as the UPC or manual are intact, you'd get 10.00 off of UT2004!

At least you'd get to play through all of the maps.
Old 11th Dec 2003, 04:58 PM   #12
Astaldo711
Son Of The Valiant Sword

I'd buy it if I were you. It's a fun game. Besides, you know UT2004 isn't going to come out when they say. I can still remember watching Cliffy's webcam and hitting F5 every few seconds to see when the demo for UT2003 was released. I still have the game on my harddrive. I'll go away from it for a while, and come back and have a blast. Besides, $20 isn't much for a game that's still popular.
Old 11th Dec 2003, 05:50 PM   #13
Doc_EDo
LEFT

Or....wait for UT2005. It will also contain UT2003 and UT2004.
Old 11th Dec 2003, 05:58 PM   #14
edhe
..dadhe..

www.unrealtournament.com - hae a gander at 2k3/2k4 then decide what you want to buy

Patience is a virtue.

Get your own Gamercard Sig.
edhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2003, 07:30 PM   #15
hal
Dictator

Doc. Why do you post in this forum?

You obviously don't want to discuss the game. You just want to bash it each and every chance you get.

Are you that bitter?

Let the rest of us enjoy it.
Old 11th Dec 2003, 07:54 PM   #16
Loibisch
The Odd Member

Getting good is incredibly hard with this game since the learning curve on servers these days is pretty steep. If you think you can handle it then $20 isn't much, but be aware that the UT2003 scene is pretty much idling along these days...
Waiting for UT2004 might be a better idea, however since it's so similar to UT2003 I don't expect a drop in skill, so it will be even harder to get a foot in the door. Also noone knows when UT2004 will REALLY be out, so...your choice.

I'd prolly get UT2003 to get a head start in skill for UT2004.

[Ci]Loibisch - Site/Forum admin and attacker of clan Carpe Imperium
Loibisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2003, 08:06 PM   #17
Zur
surrealistic mad cow

I saw UT2003 in shop for a mere 16.99 Euros (Best of series). It has the 3 CDs, no manual and a cd key. At the price of an audio CD, I didn't ask myself the question, future collector's item or not .

Zur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2003, 08:44 PM   #18
Doc_EDo
LEFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal
You obviously don't want to discuss the game. You just want to bash it each and every chance you get.
Are you that bitter?
I think i posted in my first post something that isnt a "bashing". Why do you see only "negative" posts?
Also I dont see how this isnt relevent in this post??
It's only fair to inform ppl and let them make up their own mind.
Quote:
In an interview with GameSpot, Epic's Jay Wilbur revealed that there will be a UT2005 and UT2006.

... although we've started to draw some stuff out on the drawing board, we don't have anything solid. But I can tell you that there will be an '05, there will be an '06. That's our plan, is to keep the franchise going in that vein.
EDIT: From here

Last edited by Doc_EDo; 11th Dec 2003 at 11:05 PM.
Doc_EDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2003, 09:01 PM   #19
Zur
surrealistic mad cow

Quote:
In an interview with GameSpot, Epic's Jay Wilbur revealed that there will be a UT2005 and UT2006.

... although we've started to draw some stuff out on the drawing board, we don't have anything solid. But I can tell you that there will be an '05, there will be an '06. That's our plan, is to keep the franchise going in that vein.
Source URL ?

Zur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2003, 10:21 PM   #20
Scuzzbuster
It's Crunchy. It's Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal

Are you that bitter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_EDo
I'd love to stay here and chat with complete n00bs but I dont have time for that..
Come on, Hal, go easy...most of us enjoy being berated regularly by a member of the modding community expecting us to embrace their work. It lends even more credibility to thier work and efforts when they use every chance they can to bash the game they are modding for.

Likewise, those of us that gather here to discuss the game we all like to play called UT2003 really appreciate the constant reminder that DOC hates UT2003, Epic and everything the game stands for with the exception of his own mod.

I can honestly say I enjoyed the ROAR beta, Doc, but your attitude here ever since Epic announced that Assault would be included in 2k4 has been childish and rude...the constant game bashing...and bashing of those that enjoy the game has to give many of the people here second thoughts about even trying the full version now. I personally have put off even looking at it because the ill will you have created among the people of this forum purposely.

Makes it even worse that in the years I've been gaming, the PuF/BuF community has been one of the most friendly and mature gaming communities I'm proud to have ever been a part of. I can tell you this...I don't like being referred to as a "n00b" when I'm playing...and I sure as hell don't like being berated by people in forums...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_EDo
I'd love to stay here and chat with complete n00bs but I dont have time for that..
...especially people that are hoping to generate positve reaction for their own work.

There's already a UT2003 forum out there that is open season on bashing the game, and that's over at ProUnreal...I'm sure you'd feel right at home over there.

I know...I know you could care less whether a few dozen or hundred people here at BuF try and/or like your work...

Sorry, Hal...you opened the door and I had to get it out. I apologize for the outburst.
Scuzzbuster is offline   Reply With Quote