[New Map!] DM-DarkMansion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I'll test this map and post about it on the Gamerz.be forums :) .

Erika

WHA?
Sep 3, 2002
OREEGONE!!1!
www.geocities.com
Is this the war of the quadrilaterals versus triangles?

j/k ;)

Looks pretty good, although the shots you took didn't really capture some parts.

The map itself is pretty awesome, you should submit it to nalicity.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
I'm really glad that everyone seems to be enjoying it. I already started a new map actually, more of an urban type though.

There are a few bugs in Dark Mansion however:
1. 2 sconces are missing in the 2nd level
2. weird-ass lighting going on by one of the flights of stairs to the tope
3. the arches to the basement are sometimes hard to navigate

Usually they arent a problem but just nag me being that I'm a mapper.

Kray

Time chaser
Sep 17, 2000
Fool's Paradise
utgallery.tripod.com
Hey nice map! Good flow and the bots played well too. I noticed that the bot got stuck in one of the underground areas, and another thing, why is the ceiling so low? I feel so claustrophobic running around the underground area.

And let me know when you finish making the urban map, I wanna try it out. :)

Kray

Time chaser
Sep 17, 2000
Fool's Paradise
utgallery.tripod.com
Say, Daedalus, since you're going to make an urban map, can I suggest (or request) that you make a medium-sized 8-10 players outdoor map, something like in the attached pic. That would be a great map IMO. What do you think?

Attachments

• ut-map idea.jpg
    ut-map idea.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 31

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
this one is outdoor. It's just a small city street, well more like a culdesack (sp?) but the thing is, the skyscrapes that are around the perimeter will be enterable to some point :) If I do it correctly, it could be a pretty fun map.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I don't like it one bit.

It's so empty. The lighting is totally wrong (what's with the overuse of red tones in some sections..), there are NO sounds, it feels horribly cramped, the openings on the top floor: is that a good idea?

A mansion? Where's the mansion, daedalus? :-/ It's more like..a..well I can't really say. But it sure isn't a mansion.

Basically, it's too empty and well.. boring :-/ The level also looks very dull.

Shrug...my honest opinion.

With the newer/newest levels you see for this game, at this stage, I'm just not happy with something like that anymore.

Jinx256

Dawn
Jan 29, 2003
the wired
Visit site
NeoNite said:
I don't like it one bit.

It's so empty. The lighting is totally wrong (what's with the overuse of red tones in some sections..), there are NO sounds, it feels horribly cramped, the openings on the top floor: is that a good idea?

A mansion? Where's the mansion, daedalus? :-/ It's more like..a..well I can't really say. But it sure isn't a mansion.

Basically, it's too empty and well.. boring :-/ The level also looks very dull.

With the newer/newest levels you see for this game, at this stage, I'm just not happy with something like that anymore.

Your comment is so empty. The way in which you make suggestions is totally wrong (what's with the overuse of derogatory remarks in some sections.. ), it feels horribly useless, the opening of this post: is that a good idea?

A review? Where's the review, neonite? :-/ It's more like..a..well I can't really say. But it sure isn't a review.

Basically, it's too empty and well.. useless :-/ The commentary also looks very lacking.

With the better/best reviewers you see for this game, at this stage, I'm just not happy with something like that anymore.

:rolleyes:

Kray

Time chaser
Sep 17, 2000
Fool's Paradise
utgallery.tripod.com
Daedalus said:
this one is outdoor. It's just a small city street, well more like a culdesack (sp?) but the thing is, the skyscrapes that are around the perimeter will be enterable to some point :) If I do it correctly, it could be a pretty fun map.

Try to make the roof areas playable. Multi-level roofs would be cool too.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
Kray: Allow me to tell you a story about my attempts at city block maps: It all began around 1999/2000

DOM-Runabout: This was my first attempt at a city map and it was a good one. It featured many multi-level buildings, plenty of ambients and a road that went through a inaccesable tunnel (there was a car accident in the tunnel, looks quite neat) The surround buildings were not enterable, however, I did them up so much that they looked awesome. One of the buildings had a fence and you could see a lobby-type opening from the doorway. Another had a rooftop full fo nuclear waste (hehe..) Sadly this map was lost when someone in my household put backdoor.subseven on my computer

2. Unnamed Infiltration Map: This one was really cool. I made all kinds of custom meshes for it in milkshape. From beds to tables to ceiling fans. I never finished it for some reason and it got lost ina reformat.

3. Unnamed Map for the Covert Forces mod: This one was really neat. It had a middle area, which was large and had a ton of enterable buildings with cubicles and whatnot, all very cool. The surround buildings were all enterable and I even went as far as finding some custom textures of carpet and whatnot for this for the office buildings. It also got lost in the same reformat as the INF map.

So hopefully this one wont get lost due to virus/reformat

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
There's nothing empty about my previous post. It was not an attack on either Daedalus or you. It was a comment, that's all, on his map. <-- -_-

*** I'm being honest *** Would you prefer me to lie, and say it's a beautiful map, and it works, just so everbody can be happy?
I can't do that.

This can't possibly be a finished map :O/
It just needs much more to make it work, imho. <-

"feedback, as always, is welcome, as long as it's useful."

Expand the level, add extra floors, extra rooms, redo the lighting, add sounds.
Make it feel alive. The atmosphere in a level is just so important.
Just a few suggestions :-B

This will most likely be ignored, or greeted by another rolleyes but yeah too bad if it will be.

Jinx256

Dawn
Jan 29, 2003
the wired
Visit site
NeoNite said:
Expand the level, add extra floors, extra rooms, redo the lighting, add sounds.
Make it feel alive. The atmosphere in a level is just so important.
Just a few suggestions :-B

Much better. Thank you :)

Instead of just saying what is wrong (which comes off as if you're just trying to be annoying), you make some suggestions for improvement.