Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > Off Topic

Old 20th Nov 2003, 11:23 PM   #1
OICW
Reason & Logic > Religion

Deus Ex 2 demo

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/441/441...html?fromint=1

I think the Internet bandwidth will get a whole lot worse in the coming days

"If there is a country that has committed unspeakable atrocities in the world, it is the United States of America" - Nelson Mandela, at the International Women's Forum
OICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2003, 11:51 PM   #2
TheShiningWizard
Because it's more fantastical.

GLEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheShiningWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2003, 11:56 PM   #3
DeMachina
gone

I'll point out that the demo should already be available. But due to a glitch in EZ Pad software, it's delayed untill tommorow or early next week. So you can blame Fileplanet for not playing Deux Ex 2 right now.
DeMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2003, 12:38 AM   #4
TheShiningWizard

Mild sorrow.

Old 21st Nov 2003, 10:15 AM   #5
Cold Killer
I will Kill Bill

Yay, the Mac version can't be too far away now
Cold Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2003, 02:12 PM   #6
rgreene
frag bait

Anybody hosting a torrent yet?
Old 21st Nov 2003, 10:46 PM   #7
DeMachina
gone

It is out. Fileplanet exclusive for now (free membership included). There's still like 10 free spot on dedicated Deus Ex demo server.

And I'm stuck on a PC not good enough to play it for the weekend
DeMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2003, 11:51 PM   #8
Keiichi
Old Timer

Thumbs down

Oh. My. God.

That game SUCKS! I can't believe it but, after all the hype, the graphics look like ass! Maybe it's just that I'm fresh out of Max Payne 2, but Deus Ex 2 looks like Quake 1! And even after all this time, the character models still suffer from Half-Life's "talking head" syndrome. It looks nothing like any of the early screenshots. All I can figure is that they must've crappified it for the Xbox version. The end result is this...

Yes, it actually looks that bad. And that's with max texture and model detail too.

What's even more surprising is, despite how it looks, it runs like a slug even on my almost-top-of-the-line rig. No AA. No AF. And still I get an average of about 20 fps with godawful mouse lag.

I guess I can scratch DX2 off my holiday shopping list...

-Keiichi

"These things are great! They're like sex, except I'm having them!" - Fry, Futurama

"We both know you won't get half-way to Vergon 6 before 'The Craving' sets is. Then you'll come crawling back for another taste of sweet, sweet candy." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"Well, a doctor cures people. A medic just makes them more comfortable....while they die." - Doc, Red vs Blue
Keiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2003, 12:12 AM   #9
Phuzzybear
Mr Happy

Horror! When will this sequel suckass stop? For all the hype this has to be the biggest disappointment since UT2003.
Old 22nd Nov 2003, 01:42 AM   #10
SaraP

*drool* Deus Ex 2 looks like it’s going to be awesome, although I’m annoyed that they decided to stick with not having a female player option. They were originally going to have that in the first one, which is why the hero was ambiguously named “JC” instead of having an actual first name, and why the character’s in-engine identifier is “JCDentonMale” rather than simply “JCDenton”.

- USGI M1911/M1911A1 Service Pistols: M1911 vs. M9 , author unspecified

"A woman in Milton Township, Michigan, discovered a Glock .40-caliber pistol in her kitchen. She put it in the oven. That night, the family decided to cook a pizza and preheated the oven. There was a round in the chamber, and the intense heat caused the weapon to discharge, killing a male infant who was sleeping about 25 feet away in the living room."

- The Major Cause of Gun Accidents -- People's Own Stupidity by Brian Carnell
SaraP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2003, 02:28 AM   #11
Phuzzybear
Mr Happy

There is a female player option. I have played it a few more times and it grown on me a bit more but it has some real performances issues and the aiming reticule is LAME.
Old 22nd Nov 2003, 02:30 AM   #12
SaraP

In Deus Ex, or in Deus Ex 2?

- USGI M1911/M1911A1 Service Pistols: M1911 vs. M9 , author unspecified

"A woman in Milton Township, Michigan, discovered a Glock .40-caliber pistol in her kitchen. She put it in the oven. That night, the family decided to cook a pizza and preheated the oven. There was a round in the chamber, and the intense heat caused the weapon to discharge, killing a male infant who was sleeping about 25 feet away in the living room."

- The Major Cause of Gun Accidents -- People's Own Stupidity by Brian Carnell
SaraP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2003, 02:42 AM   #13
TheShiningWizard

I just played the demo, and I was underwhelmed. It wasn't Halo-disappointing, but.... meh.

Old 22nd Nov 2003, 03:16 AM   #14
Approx
I'm 26. Now I've a wife AND a house.

I am afraid it gets a big ol' "meh" from me as well.

The grahpics aren't that great, save some lighting effects. The ragdoll physics are just silly, as the wig out everytime you kill someone or shoot a dead body

As far as the gameplay and story line goes, I suppose it seems alright...hard to tell in a demo though.

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist."
---Ayn Rand

Freedom for me is not having anything to lose. To be carefree and worryless is freedom. I don't need money to do this. All I need is life, and I've already been given that. I am free.
--Chronic

Approx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2003, 04:09 AM   #15
Cold Killer
I will Kill Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraP
*drool* Deus Ex 2 looks like it’s going to be awesome, although I’m annoyed that they decided to stick with not having a female player option. They were originally going to have that in the first one, which is why the hero was ambiguously named “JC” instead of having an actual first name, and why the character’s in-engine identifier is “JCDentonMale” rather than simply “JCDenton”.
Whaaa?! I hadn't heard a THING about the female option for Deus Ex 2 being scrapped!!! When did this happen!? It seems like it was only a month ago that I saw a poll in the eidos official forums asking people whether they'd be a male or a female...

On the topic of the quality of the demo, I'm afraid you guys aren't the only ones with these opinions...
http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdi...?s=&forumid=29

And I just can't believe Keiichi's screenshot. Please please PLEASE tell me you brushed the **** out of the picture in PS or something.
Cold Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2003, 04:31 AM   #16
rgreene
frag bait

Sorry guys, this thing IS going to kick ass. That is a bad screenshot, I don't know how you produced a screen that looks that bad. As for performance, maybe you guys forgot but when the first Deus Ex shipped, there wasn't a computer on Earth that could run the damn thing! I'm not worried about it.

So far the gameplay feels about the same as the first, however it feels a bit off because they are cramming a whole bunch of **** into the level in order to give you a feel for what would be available in the full game -- this is by no means a level as it would be in the game. Also, lets not forget that Deus Ex is a STORY -- there's no story here, it's a demo. Once we get the story in the game and you start getting into it, this game is going to be amazing.

You guys are way too critical of this demo, from what I've seen in the demo it's obvious to me that the game itself will be really great.
Old 22nd Nov 2003, 05:00 AM   #17
TheShiningWizard

Jesus Christ, will you people do a bit of research (playing the game would be a good start) before you start griping about features that are "missing"? You can select a female in the demo. In fact, the first character in the selection screen is the female.

Old 22nd Nov 2003, 05:02 AM   #18
TheShiningWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreene
When the first Deus Ex shipped, there wasn't a computer on Earth that could run the damn thing!
Ran just fine with my system; I had a Voodoo .

I don't think the game will "suck" so far... I just wasn't anywhere near as impressed by this demo as I was the original Deux Ex demo (which led me to buy the full game later that same day). I also don't care for the new HUD, but I guess I could get used to it.

Old 22nd Nov 2003, 06:21 AM   #19
Freon
Braaaaiinss...

well it's not that bad. The whole thing is a bit too console oriented but it's no big deal. And it runs pretty well! The only MAJOR problem I have with it is the INCREDIBLE mouse lag! If anybody else has this problem, please help me
oh, that and the characters are a bit too dark compared to the rest of the scenery

"I don't have a ****ing clue why I'm wasting precious brain cells arguing with
a man who names himself after the fluid that runs behind my fridge." - BadMojo

** Infiltration - Vega clan - dichlorodifluoromethane **
Freon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2003, 07:30 AM   #20
Infguy98

Last edited by Infguy98; 20th Nov 2012 at 12:47 PM.
Infguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote