News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > UnrealEngine2 Runtime > General Discussion

Old 18th Nov 2003, 10:58 PM   #1
LevJohnson

Potentially Stupid Question

So I'm watching these videos from 3Dbuzz, all excited because I have this shiny new UnrealEngine Runtime Editor, and I can't do a * thing.

Everytime it says 'click on this' I click, but it doesn't do what they said.

Is the UnrealEd that's included with the Runtime really *that* much different than the one w/2003? I mean, it's just simple things, like trying to select brush faces and deselect the transforming brush, etc.

Am I doing something wrong, is my version b0rk3d, or is the editor just that different?

Thanks for any help.
LevJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Nov 2003, 07:16 AM   #2
[SAS]Solid Snake

They are slightly different. I believe 3Dbuzz is specific for UT2003.

Digital Confectioners
[SAS]Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Nov 2003, 12:07 AM   #3
LevJohnson

So does anyone think it'd be best if I just got a copy of Unreal2k3?
LevJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2003, 08:31 PM   #4
Erika
WHA?

There goes that potentially stupid part...

Yeah, the editors are different. Also the Runtime uses UMX files instead of OGG files, which is a slight difference. Another thing is parts of the runtime are quite different.

Yes, 3DBuzz is specific for UT2k3...

So I'd suggest you just buy UT2k3...
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2003, 03:24 PM   #5
[SAS]Solid Snake

In short, the Runtime is built for those who are wanting to learn Unreal in general. You can learn Unreal in general from UT2003, although it is a bit harder since you need to really work on UT2003 unspecific things such as creating new scripts without subclassing UT2003 scripts (Subclassing Engine or other Unreal nonspecific classes) or creating Unreal non-specific content such as meshes, sound and so forth.

The Runtime was designed so that people would not have to buy anything if they just wanted to learn in potentials in finding jobs, schools and so on.

UMX and OGG are just a way to convey music. OGG is just a standard music, as in it is just a track where UMX I think still using the MOD or XM wav-samples MIDI sound track method. They are different in the way they work all together. OGG support could be implemented into the RunTime since the OGG format is freely avaliable (Unlike MP3).

Digital Confectioners
[SAS]Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2003, 10:24 PM   #6
afecelis

@Lev

They might be different but the workflow is exactly the same. I also went through the 3dbuzz videos and what you mention about face selection, brush creation and manipulation is exactly the same as ut2k3. The only thing you're missing is the huge texture libraries that come with the game as well as the pre built models (for level decoration).

If you want to learn unreal level editing the runtime is a great place to start but I'd suggest you create some good texture libraries to start.

Follow and study the videos for level designing concepts and techniques. You won't be able to do the model import part lacking of the ut2k3 model libraries.

the choice is up to you but I had always wanted to have a clean unreal engine for non-game projects so I tried tweaking the game versions in order to get a non-game look'n feel. The runtime is the best chance to learn pure level editing. The complex things will start dropping on the way.

hope it helps
afecelis is offline   Reply With Quote