News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Unreal Development > UnrealEngine2 Runtime > Level Design, Skinning and Modelling

Old 21st Oct 2003, 04:09 AM   #1
daggo

sound for footsteps

I really think it takes away from feeling immersed in the scene that you do not hear your footsteps in the demo map. Does anyone know how one could add them?
daggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2003, 09:50 AM   #2
Vito

Why do you need footsteps? You have no feet.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2003, 12:32 PM   #3
Radiosity
Minty Fresh!

Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2003, 03:25 PM   #4
daggo

blah blah blah...

So far we have used the Quake3 engine to produce visualizations of interesting mathematical surfaces. It really helps when you walk on a surface and it really sounds like metal ... Just look at the screenshots at

http://www.math.tu-berlin.de/geometr...ry/vr/vr.shtml

It would definitely be nice to be able to distribute this stuff to colleagues, students or anyone interested.

Vito, does your joke imply that is impossible to add "feet" just by using unrealEd?

Last edited by daggo; 22nd Oct 2003 at 03:28 PM.
Old 22nd Oct 2003, 06:11 PM   #5
Vito

Sort of.

Footstep sounds are normally generated when animation notifications are triggered. That is, when an animation reaches a certain frame (usually the frame when a foot hits the ground), it calls a function that plays the sound.

Since you have no animations (indeed, no animations), we didn't set up any notifies to play footstep sounds. So at the very least, you'd need to add in a little code that plays footsteps at regular intervals.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2003, 03:04 AM   #6
daggo

Cool

Thank You!

What would be the place for this code to be inserted? Would it be possible to have it triggered by movement of the player?
Old 23rd Oct 2003, 12:26 PM   #7
Hao Niu-rou
flummoxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo
Thank You!

What would be the place for this code to be inserted? Would it be possible to have it triggered by movement of the player?
if you checked the players movement and what physics state they're in you could prolly do that
Old 23rd Oct 2003, 12:41 PM   #8
MeanFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hao Niu-rou
if you checked the players movement and what physics state they're in you could prolly do that
Would it be possible to do it by monitoring keyboard interactions? i.e. if you're holding a walk button and you're in walk mode...couldn't you create an interval using the Tick() (at least I think this is the function you would use for interval calculations) function or something similar that would trigger a sound without a single animation involved?

I'm kind of a newbie, so if anything I just said doesn't make any sense feel free to laugh and point.

I think that's what that last guy just said anyways. He just said it easier. I think. Unless he said something different. Gah. Need more soda.

Last edited by MeanFish; 23rd Oct 2003 at 12:43 PM.
MeanFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2003, 05:01 AM   #9
daggo

Smile

Ahhh, ... now that the sources are out it seems to me that my footsteps problem could be solved by specifying under defaultproperties in UnrealEngine2Runtime\Runtime\Classes\RTPawn.uc a more sophisticated Mesh with proper animations that trigger sounds via suitable notifies. Is this correct?
Old 24th Oct 2003, 02:56 PM   #10
Al[Demiurge]

daggo: Yup, that's right. You could do it right in unrealed by adding a sound playing notification in the animation browser. See this doc: http://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Technical/AnimNotifies/
Al[Demiurge] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2003, 03:54 PM   #11
daggo

Unhappy

Tried this:

- Added an AnimNotify_Sound with parameters

sound: SoundEffectsTest
volume: 1.0
radius: 0
NotifyFrame 0.0

to the boxrun animation of Animations\RT_Box_K.ukx, saved it as Animations\TestBox.ukx

- created a file Test\Classes\TestPawn.uc which looks like Runtime\RTPawn.uc except for declaring TestBox.BoxModel as its default Mesh

- changed in the URL section of System\UE2Runtime.ini the line "Class=Runtime\RTPawn" to "Class=Test.TestPawn". Added in the end the line "EditPackages=Test".

Now ucc make still fails to generate Test.u and I see no effect. Moreover UnrealEd complains about not finding a package Test. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by daggo; 26th Oct 2003 at 03:01 AM.
Old 4th Feb 2004, 12:11 PM   #12
rodrigoelp

i am very interested about this topic, cuz i am making a game right now, and it is a 3rd person play, so, i do watch the feets of my character and i would like to hear its steps
rodrigoelp is offline   Reply With Quote