NewsUnrealEdFilesModsFragBULiandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games

Old 18th Jun 2000, 09:51 PM   #1
Hairball

Talking

OK, grabbed the demo finally. Agreed, GetRight is a _must_! Installed it without a hitch.

The game supports Glide and DirectX 7.0a. No software mode, you gotta have a card. The graphics are lush and juicy, with all the UT trimmings (lens flares, semireflective floors, etc). I have an Athlon 500, 64 megs, and a Voodoo 3 2000, and it ran as smooth as Unreal, which is to say, occasional minor slowdowns but mostly smoothness. The worst I can say about the graphics is the occasional 1-2 second pauses during disk access, which actally happened _less_ than Unreal. (Need 128 Megs! A defrag would help too.)

The demo contained a training level and one real level. I haven't finished the real one yet (and I'm only playing on med difficulty!)

The weapons are all very realistic; they have recoil, they actually take _time_ to reload, and you have to watch you ammo level carefully. Infiltration fans will be in heaven, while hard-core fraggers might become frustrated. One thing I didn't like was the need to scrounge for ammo on the battlefield. You'd thing an agent for a high-ranking organization would be given enough ammo to fight with before being sent out!

The level of detail and interactivity is insane. If the full version ships with an editor, of if UnrealEd can be adapted to work here, I'm switching from UT to DX editing in a heartbeat! (don't worry, you're not missing much, my maps all suck).

will keep you posted,
Hairball

Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2000, 03:07 AM   #2
Wolf Blackstar
That other Wing Commander guy

I'm curious to see how it runs on a GeForce2 GTS card in 1024x768, with all details set at max.

-

]LoL[Wolf|PuF
- Freelancer and Shock Rifle whore for ]LoL[
Wolf Blackstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2000, 04:49 AM   #3
Wolf Blackstar
That other Wing Commander guy

Talking

Looks pretty promising from what I've seen so far.

Wolf Blackstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2000, 08:17 AM   #4
Hero

I Tried the demo last night, and since it´s an UT-based engine, it most certainly can run on software rendering. BUT, the thing is that it doesn´t allow 512 resolution, and that is a must when you are running on a notebokk P3-366 like I am.

SO, the result is a VERY low framerate...really not playable, but stunning if you have the hardware...

...until someone comes up with at Notebook with voodoo(1, 2 or 3) capabilities...
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2000, 08:01 AM   #5
KU

DX is mad! I itstalled it and was blown away with the sheer performance of the game.

Mind Maps/Mnemonics Matter!

KU is offline   Reply With Quote