Super BuF Forum Accounts...to support BuF?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
I'd been thinking about this a bit, but I really hadn't seen it anywhere, and wondered if it had been considered. Maybe you could offer a "BuF Supporter" account, along the lines of, for example, what ArsTechnica does.

It would work all over BuF: you could have it cover for ad free browsing. As far as the forums go, I don't know how well vBulliten would handle it, but you could offer things like longer/html signatures, HTML posting, more inbox space (I would pay an extra $10-15 a year for an couple hundred extra pms, for sure!), access to the members list, and of course, a 'supporters-only' forum just for the glamour of it. In addition, it would seem easy enough to offer a 'package' where people sign up for a Buf e-mail account and Supporter's Forum account for $25 a year, all on one bill.

Of course, I would not reccomend going the way of GameSpy, where you offer 'member exclusives' ... while that is nice from a economic standpoint, I think it would go against the nature of what BuF has brought to the plate already. I know I'd pay $10-15 a year to get ad free browsing and the ability to use HTML in my signature :)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Yeah, actually vb does support that very well. We haven't made any decisions on anything of that nature, but it's nice to know that you're interested in it. :)

Mychaeel

Hunter said:
most BuF'ers would be up for it, including me

Well, that'd be nice for sure.

I remember, though, how whenever Pete or anybody else asked for BeyondUnreal donations the predominantly cited reason for not donating was that most people said they'd have no money to spare. I wonder why that should be any different if something like "Super BuF Forum Accounts" were to be offered.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
The alternative...

I'd be for BuF+ accounts as long as normal users don't loose out on anything they use right now.

I'd also be against any private forum for subscribers, as I don't like the idea of an enclosed mini-community springing up. We're all part of the same community, and it should stay that way.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Selerox said:
I'd be for BuF+ accounts as long as normal users don't loose out on anything they use right now.

I'd also be against any private forum for subscribers, as I don't like the idea of an enclosed mini-community springing up. We're all part of the same community, and it should stay that way.

What Sel says.

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
Thanks for the idea, Keganator, but I think it's going to be too GSI-ish. I'd rather leave things as free as possible here, giving people options to purchase cheap BuF email accounts, buy banner ads, buy stuff from the BU store, etc.

Pete
-BeyondUnreal

Keganator said:
I'd been thinking about this a bit, but I really hadn't seen it anywhere, and wondered if it had been considered. Maybe you could offer a "BuF Supporter" account, along the lines of, for example, what ArsTechnica does.