The Opera Update

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
The team behind 'The Opera' for UT2003 have released some more info, as well as several new screenshots of their promising UT2003 mod.

The Opera's website has been buzzing with activity as of late, so we thought we'd send out the pick of our most recent media for the general public to enjoy.

For those who've never heard of us, The Opera was a successful mod for Half-Life, which is now coming to Unreal Tournament 2003 - bigger and better than before. The Opera aims to bring the style and class of the Hong Kong Blood Opera (a genre of action film typified by the work of John Woo) to a first-person shooter environment. You can dive, roll and somersault around with akimbo pistols blazing in a variety of real world locations. A range of game modes are planned, from duelling (our main focus) to teamplay. Our first beta should be available this coming Fall/Winter.

In the mean time, view these shots and visit our website at: http://opera.redeemedsoft.com. These shots show two of our maps - "Docks" and "Solace", and some renders of two of our weapons - the Mossberg M590A1 shotgun, and the Beretta M92FS pistol.

Shot 1

Shot 2

Shot 3

Shot 4

beefsack

the authority in beef
Nov 22, 2002
Canberra, Australia
beefsack.blogspot.com
everything about this mod is just looking so professional and the team are very professional about the development too and as far as i believe look at themselves as a solid team from what i can understand. im expecting a very polished mod that may just make a lot of money in the competition. i hope they get the lisence cos im sure they could do something great with it.

oh yeah, opera is the best ;)

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
Nighthawk[Opera] said:
There is no chance we will be switching to HL2 or any other engine besides UT2K3/UT2K4.
Well, I thought that maybe because you had switched from HL1 to UT2003 that seeing the feature set for HL2 would make you want to switch back. Especially those lovely physics FX they have now.

Is this mod going to be 1st or 3rd person btw?

Nighthawk[Opera]

Sep 21, 2002
opera.redeemedsoft.com
There are a variety of reasons why we won't switch any more:

- If we switch engines every three months, we'll never get done. UT2K3, HL2, UT2K4, Doom3, Q4... and on, and on, and on... It's a never-ending cycle.

- UnrealScript is much more flexible than Half-Life can ever be. In UnrealScript, nothing's hidden and everything's available. I find it very unlikely that Half-Life will be as robust.

- HL2's SDK doesn't exist yet, and we don't feel like waiting and dreaming what it might be before we start work on our mod. We're not going to sit here dormant for three months to find out.

- Everything we want to do we know for a fact that we can do with UT2K3. With HL2, we're not so sure. We had to jump through some rather small hoops as it was with our original Half-Life release.

- We prefer Epic's attitude and support over Valve's. I won't go in to details on that - if you've been on our forums, you know what I mean.

Is this mod going to be 1st or 3rd person btw?

Yes.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
LOL ... only a programmer would answer an 'OR'-question like that ... ;)
I guess that means that both 1st & 3rd person-views will be available ?

And I guess you've missed Fragberts' & Optimizers' complaints about Epic's "support" too ... (then again : nothing ever is perfect in the real world)

// --
The shotgun does have a bit of a 'plastic' look, but that's something that's probably very hard to get rid of in a computer generated graphic.
Almost can't wait to use it in-game though ... :)

It's definitely a mod I'm looking forward to playing as the idea is unique to say the least.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
// Pretty cheap way of getting the public to do your R&D for you.
What else did you think this contest is ?
Of course it's a promotion of Epic (& nVidia) and a 'cheap' resource of ideas.
Can we really blame Epic for doing this ?
Can you really imagine anyone ignoring this ?
It's capitalism ... it's business ... it isn't pretty, but it gets the job done.
Too bad that there's not much thought given for long-term goals though.

fragbert said:
.... Plus I secretly hope that some commercial publisher reads this, wises up, and actually starts R&D funding, since they're all posting record profits in the middle of a recession.
The fat cats that get the actual money probably are more interested in their own agendas & accounts then they're interested in 'helping' the industry survive ... :(
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely as they say.